Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Vain???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I presume you mean "in that vein".

Thank you Glenn. My editor died last year and she would have caught that as well. Sorry too late to edit.

Keep up the good work. I need someone to keep me on my toes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #30

Florida
Seminole Lake

Huck,

We often stay at Seminole lake in northern FL/southern GA, right on the border. It is a Corp of Engineers park, it has beautiful sites with water and electric, right on a great lake, quiet, huge sites and I recall it was about $9 a night.

There are Corp of ENgineer parks all over and usually large sites and low prices. Get a guide tot he Corp of Engineer parks or look on line.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #31

Florida
Huck, I know a lot about electrons but not a lot about electrons and health. One thing we get more of in the summer is vitamin D. This year the University of CT football coach had his players tested for vitamin level. Everyone except the kicker was deficient in Vitamin D.

I take vitamin D because I read a study that said that nursing home patients that take 800 mg of vitamin D fall 40% less frequently. Just a thought.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #32

Florida
Fast Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Wish both of you the best !!

I can say that even after only four years of retirement so far I find myself looking to keep things simple after forty years of being on the fast track.
Daniel A.
Ginny and I just returned from a surprise party for her sister. One of the attendees was an old TV person that had interviewed me back in my working days. Hadn't seen her in years.

SHe had just heard about my new career on the road and was shocked I was no longer inventing gadgets. She just could not believe I was so satisfied by life on the road.

She started to understand as I described Fogo and Icebergs.....

Change is possible.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #33

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Huck,

We often stay at Seminole lake in northern FL/southern GA, right on the border. It is a Corp of Engineers park, it has beautiful sites with water and electric, right on a great lake, quiet, huge sites and I recall it was about $9 a night.

There are Corp of ENgineer parks all over and usually large sites and low prices. Get a guide tot he Corp of Engineer parks or look on line.
I don't mind paying $500-$600/month with hookups, but I was thinking it might be hard to find sites near the beach in FL with those kind of rates.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #34

Florida
Long life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstock View Post
Norm and Ginny

I am in my last year of employment and will retire in May 2015. My husband, 20 years older, retired 15 years ago. He said it's time for us to spend the years left together, so we made the decision to sell the condo in North Carolina. We will move to our cottage on Lake Huron as our "permanent" summer home. It is simple, small, and close to family. While we have not yet listed the condo for sale, we look around at our stuff and shrug. A few things to keep with sentimental value, but not very much of that. As we have gotten older, we have been more and more inclined to get rid of things and try to simplify our lives.

We are looking forward to exploring the south (further south than North Carolina) during the winter months--a few months here, a few months there--to keep us out of the winter weather. We will most likely camp or rent or both until we get a better idea of where we would like to land as a winter haven.

Anymore, my husband and I need very little to keep body and soul together, and we are both very happy with that. I draw inspiration from the two of you and your travels, and I wish you the best as you begin the next chapter. May it be a very long one.
Monica,
Thank you for the kind words and sharing your thoughts.

Before RVing the NC coast was our choice for retirement, now it's all coasts. I continue to be amazed how little we need to be happy. I think the struggle for stuff can undermine true happiness.

Wishing the two of you well as you make changes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #35

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Huck, I know a lot about electrons but not a lot about electrons and health. One thing we get more of in the summer is vitamin D. This year the University of CT football coach had his players tested for vitamin level. Everyone except the kicker was deficient in Vitamin D.

I take vitamin D because I read a study that said that nursing home patients that take 800 mg of vitamin D fall 40% less frequently. Just a thought.
Professional teams and top college teams have been testing for vitamin d for years. It took several years of experimenting with supplements and sun exposure before I finally figured out how to keep mine in upper range year round.

I think the 800 mg you mentioned is actually 800 iu. That is probably way to low to do much good. The only way to know how much you need is to have a vitamin d blood test. I keep my level in upper range because it is supposedly preventative for some forms of cancer and heart disease.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #36

Florida
Huck, taking the vitamin discussion off line though it is iu and not milligrams.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #37

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
This is all very interesting to me, but I am afraid this type of life would not be the right one for me. As I have discussed on another thread with Norm, I feel strong ties to my small house and garden. I grew up very poor in an unstable family. Fortunately, fate sent me to a good man for a husband (better than I ever hoped for or deserved) and he and I have rubbed along for 47 years. Both of us like simplicity and live in a style much less grand than we can actually afford. We have a small house surrounded by woods and love it here. We have enjoyed the camping we have embarked upon since last fall with our Lil Snoozy. But I derive a great deal of pleasure parking the camper, walking in my back door, and breathing a sigh of relief that my haven is still here and safe. We both know how to survive without material things (lots of practice in childhood), but I appreciate the ease of a physical home. To me camping is a lot of work with little space to relax. I guess Norm and Ginny 's example will take a while to work on me (probably will never be a complete convert). Maybe I am just not adventurous enough. All you free gypsies will have to share your experiences so I can enjoy them. Maybe one day I will branch out and actually be willing to be gone from my cottage for as long as a whole month - time will tell. In the meantime, keep up your reporting and encouragement. I am already looking up Corp of Engineers campgrounds and Seminole Lake.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #38

Florida
Seminole Lake

Melanie,

Beginning with Seminole, it's a very nice campground, we love it, very relaxing and generally quiet. It's a place to be at ease, to read and relax. The local area is not too special, particularly the town of Chattahoochee.

As we travel about we seek Corp parks, they are inexpensive, always clean with large sites and typically on the water.

We have driven all about the area and in our wandering way, are interested in people and communities.

I really don't expect anyone to travel as we do. I'm a little different and have had many lives, this is just the latest and I expect last. Fortunately Ginny has supported me in all my life changes. I think my life motion hither and yon, through jobs and on the road has been successful for us in that it provides challenge, maybe better, new challenges. Of course a single life style, a single job has it's challenges but it's not the same as totally new challenges.

This weekend we met a relatively famous artist. I was telling him that on Fogo there are 6 small unusual dwellings built as studios for artists and writers from across the world. I suggested he might want to consider applying for one, as a change from his Maryland studio.

He asked me why Fogo. I told him going to these small isolated communities is a change from our hectic every day lives in ways that's hard to imagine.

Sometimes you need to really get away to see what you are and what you might be. This is not to say better or worse, but a chance to provide personal perspective.

It's so rare to be able to step back and see what we are, considering the different can sometimes provide new perspective. I am a dreamer and though living on Fogo or the Change Islands is not going to happen, I can now imagine it, maybe become better because of it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #39

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Beginning with Seminole, it's a very nice campground, we love it, very relaxing and generally quiet. It's a place to be at ease, to read and relax. The local area is not too special, particularly the town of Chattahoochee.
Ha! Norm, I wondered if y'all had passed close by in your travels and I see that you have. I live in Havana, FL about 30 minutes East of Chattahoochee and agree that it is not much, unless you fish in which case I understand there is some great fishing on Lake Seminole. I am completely embarrassed to say I had no idea there was a Corps of Engineers Campground over there (or any where else for that matter). I will have to check it out. It would be nice to have somewhere to just get away after work on Friday and come home on Sunday. It does not have to be hundreds of miles down the road to just get in the woods and recharge.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #40

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Words....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo
I presume you mean "in that vein".
Glenn,
You missed this one: recent thread where someone told someone they were "sending a private massage"!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #41

Florida
Tim, We may have driven through Havana, we like to drive through towns in the areas where we stay.

In Newfoundland these short distance camping sites are very common. Everyone seems to have one. On the really deserted to Harbour Breton road there were numerous side of the road camping sites, sometimes a single trailer sometimes a group.. Nothing formal, just a spot beside the road to escape to on weekends and holidays.

Another feature of Newfoundland's Provincial Park system is that they rent seasonal sites, it seems less than 25% are seasonal and typically un-serviced sites (servicing in NL consists of only electricity).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #42

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Rick, Definitely wish your daughter well. It sounds like she's overcoming tough obstacles.

Where do you come in FL? We will be in central FL this winter, in Wauchula, 45 miles inland from Sarasota.

Glad to have you use anything I've written. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Ginny and I both grew up in central CT and now live in southern NH. Drop by anytime.

Best to you and Jessica.
Hi Norm and Ginny,

Thanks for the kind words. My daughter is an amazing person. The original diagnosis of Autism came with many dire warnings of how limited her life would be. I have always taken the approach of letting her try to succeed before assuming she would fail. She has proven to everyone that with enough time and patience she can master almost any skill.

We will normally be either near Orlando or near Ft. Lauderdale to start with, but as they say, our house has wheels, and we would be happy to travel to the Sarasota area to meet you and explore the "left coast" of FL. Presently, I am in Southern, MA near Foxboro.

See you on the road!

Rick and Jessica