Selling the House - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tim, We may have driven through Havana, we like to drive through towns in the areas where we stay.

In Newfoundland these short distance camping sites are very common. Everyone seems to have one. On the really deserted to Harbour Breton road there were numerous side of the road camping sites, sometimes a single trailer sometimes a group.. Nothing formal, just a spot beside the road to escape to on weekends and holidays.

Another feature of Newfoundland's Provincial Park system is that they rent seasonal sites, it seems less than 25% are seasonal and typically un-serviced sites (servicing in NL consists of only electricity).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #42

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Rick, Definitely wish your daughter well. It sounds like she's overcoming tough obstacles.

Where do you come in FL? We will be in central FL this winter, in Wauchula, 45 miles inland from Sarasota.

Glad to have you use anything I've written. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Ginny and I both grew up in central CT and now live in southern NH. Drop by anytime.

Best to you and Jessica.
Hi Norm and Ginny,

Thanks for the kind words. My daughter is an amazing person. The original diagnosis of Autism came with many dire warnings of how limited her life would be. I have always taken the approach of letting her try to succeed before assuming she would fail. She has proven to everyone that with enough time and patience she can master almost any skill.

We will normally be either near Orlando or near Ft. Lauderdale to start with, but as they say, our house has wheels, and we would be happy to travel to the Sarasota area to meet you and explore the "left coast" of FL. Presently, I am in Southern, MA near Foxboro.

See you on the road!

Rick and Jessica
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #43

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I'm wishing both of you the best.
I'm thinking/ trying to cut away from more stuff I don't use or have time for too. Having a house for over 10 years I accumulated to much un necessary stuff. The first 12 years I was in Army all of my stuff would fit in my Jeep. Then I messed up and got a house. Now I really regret that even more.
I remember the days after I closed on my house.. regret and thinking why the heck did I do it. The weeks after I got rid of it at a loss it was a relief of removing a stone off my back. No more money pit.
Before I had it I could and did travel without having to worry about my expenses.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:00 AM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Darrell I think your post explains most of us in our later years. We tend to gather things that we just don't want to let go of, just cuz. Some can and some can't. I know of a few that full time but I don't know how I could travel with my woodshop in a Casita .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #45

Florida
Dave and Darrell,
We probably all know people who have had difficulty with retirement, unable to let go of their past and proceed to a new future. Two of our best friends, with excellent financial resources, have spent their first three years exploring new careers and jobs and actually spending little time traveling. Their common responses is 'we have three dogs'...... mostly acquired in the years just before retirement.

I do not mean to suggest that there's anything wrong with continuing to work or to hold onto the past. To me retirement is an opportunity for the new, new stimulation, new vistas, new challenges, really a new life.

I've had a great life, my past was really fun and challenging. I want that to continue in new ways.

Everyday is a chance to learn. This week we were in Florida and visited with 3 women who's husbands have died, all Escapees who have traveled extensively. To a person they all wish they were still traveling, that they had even more extensive travels, had even been bolder RVers, 'driven to more end of the roads'.

We spoke with another man who asked us about Newfoundland, saying he was right at the ferry terminal in North Sydney, Nova Scotia but decided not to go.. thinking the ferry's expensive, we'll go next time....

Our approach is to go for a long enough time so the cost of the ferry disappears in to the every day costs and Ginny always says when were near someplace out of the way, go now... it's a long way back.

On our trip to Alaska, we added a side trip to the Northwest Territories because Ginny knew I would want to go there and figured she could save a repeat 10,000 mile drive.

As to stuff, I compare it to all the people in Newfoundland that live shore-side with wonderful views of the ocean. For them it's just there. It's part of their everyday and in a sense becomes invisible, much stuff can be like that. Our beach house is full of paintings, paintings I like but somehow rarely look at or see.

The only part of my life I can not do without is Ginny. She's still a wonder to me.

Safe travels..... that is if you want to travel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #46

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Norm and Ginny

There is so much I'd love to comment on in regards to your postings on this wonderful thread you started but will focus on health and longevity. I liked your comment about hiking.

I believe keeping active is important to longevity. One man I know who is 97 looked after his car wash, chipping ice off the exit in the winter at 94 until he was forced to sell the business due to a road expansion. He still lives at home, and visits his wife often. She had to go into a nursing home. They will celebrate their 78th wedding anniversary next month!

Yesterday I attended the funeral of my next door neighbour who died of heart issues at age 93. He farmed for many years, milking cows by hand even when automated machinery became available. In retirement he kept a lovely garden and continually went to his son's house to care for theirs. Last year he fell off his bicycle and broke his pelvis going to his son's home!

Best of luck in your decision on selling up in NH, hopefully we'll meet along the road sometime, perhaps in NF.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #47

Florida
Adrian,

Always happy to meet in Newfoundland, that's for sure. We're already talking about next year. I hope to get there for the launch of a Bullyboat on Change Island. I wrote to the CBC and suggested they get out to Change Island to document the construction of this rare boat, so many of these old skills are disappearing.

Actually the guy, Peter Porter, building this Bullyboat rescued the last Bullyboat in the area, took it home and is using it as a pattern to build a new one, a boat some 30 feet long with an 8 foot beam. Peter is over 60 and had a heart attack last year but as active as can be. If you get to Newfoundland and Change Island, find Peter Porter. Peter has the only campground, 5 sites, on the island and a very nice little museum where he'll play some real Newfoundland music on his set of accordions.

I'm in full agreement on the importance of being active. When we lived in the domes the couple next to us were in their 80's and I recall seeing him roofing his barn. One day I was out in our woods and could here him out in his. I walked over and he was splitting wood with homemade hickory wedges.

There is definitely the keeping going factor. Our Escapee park contains a lot of people who have 'retired from the road', usually after fulltiming for a decade or more.

Early in the morning you find them out walking loops of our RV park. One 80+ gentleman, a walker for sure, begins his every day with a 15 minute exercise routine, post lunch he always takes a short nap and late afternoon is glass of wine time.

One of the reason's I like wintering in a warmer climate is that it's easier to be outside, to be active.

We returned from Florida and have decided to make an offer on the Park model in our Escapee park, recognizing that at some point we will become road retirees. Not a completely joyous thought but a realistic one.

This was Ginny's first summertime visit to Florida, sort of a test to see if we could ever spend a summer in Florida. Though it rained heavily during the first day of our visit we did manage to get in the 87F pool with great pleasure.

Of course purchasing a Park model does not mean we'll get rid of our Scamp. We definitely intend to continue our travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #48

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Norm and Ginny,

My advise to you guys, is to keep traveling and making memories! Life is to short. I wonder why people are working so much to make more money?Life is not about how much money you make, but how you spend it! You are not going to be able to take one penny with you when we leave this place! But, we can take the memories with us that we make along life's road!
You never retire, if you keep doing what you like to do! Someone, once saying, that if you really like what you are doing, you will never work a day in your life! I believe that we should enjoy everyday to it's fullest, because we will never past that way again. Norm, you should keep looking for ways to improve your Scamp, so you and Ginny will enjoy traveling even more!
You guys inspire all of us to be better travelers!
Thank you!!
Thinking about rallies, maybe one of these days we can have a Norm and Ginny Rally! Now that really sounds like a good time and fun!

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #49

Florida
Carl,

Can't remember if I posted this but we are having a Norm and Ginny family rally. For our 50th the kids rented a campground on a lake for a weekend of family fun.

We try to have fun. This winter though we won't be really traveling until the spring, hopefully to Newfoundland.

This winter I have agreed to run our Escapee park's kitchen. Whenever we're there we cook a couple of lunches and dinners, doing them or helping others. It happens that I love to cook. This year one of my dinners will be a Newfoundland dinner. I also have lined up a number of people for a different meals, a pig roast, fish fry, New England boiled dinner, plus our traditional yearly meals ...... There are always plenty of volunteers to help.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #50

Arkansas
Norm and Ginny,

Congratulation's on your 50th Anniversary! Happy Anniversary to Norm and Ginny !!!! Staying together for 50 years is wonderful! These days not many people can stay together that long!
I hope you all have a great time with your family this summer!
Norm, I am learning something new about you every day? I did not know that your are a cook? Wow! Norm, is there anything that you can not do?

Thanks,
Carl
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #51

Florida
My lifetime approach from childhood was that anyone can do anything. My child favoritebooks were Mysterious Island and the Swiss Family Robinson, about people who do it all. (As an adult it is Atlas Shrugged.)

As I grew up I did come to recognize that some people are more gifted than others... No matter how much I practiced I was not going to be the Yankee' shortstop. However I did learn if you're patient and can read you can do many things well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #52

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Happy 50th, you two lovebirds!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #53

Florida
Gilda,

Thank you, it's amazing to us that 50 years have passed and we're probably more pleased with our choices than when we married.

In retrospect it's all amazing. The magic is that neither us focus too long on the negative and work to achieve oneness, certainly important in a 92 square foot trailer and a 44" wide bed.

Our Park Model contains two twin beds...the latest joke is "What do we do with the extra twin?".

Wishing you well,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #54

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Norm, Ginny,
Happy anniversary, and yes, you two are an inspiration! Jules Verne's Mysterious Island was one we all read when I was a kid. I loved it. It was translated to scores of languages, Czech among them, of course. Atlas Shrugged is on my list and I'll get to it soon.
All the best,
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Some comments Ocean and Sun

Steve,
You should tell your 7' above sea level sister to research "Storm Surge." Most people don't know that since a severe storm consists of very low barometric pressure, that low pressure also affects any water the storm is over. Not as much on lakes but a lot on the ocean. It causes a little 'hill' if you will of water under the low.

Something I recently learned about sunlight: I always sort of knew that lack of vitamin D causes rickets. It turns out that black people's black skin which blocks tropical sunlight, does too good a job up here in the higher latitudes with the result they can have a lack of vitamin D. Also, black babies tend to be lighter skinned so that they get more vitamin D in order to grow stronger bones. Ain't nature wonderful?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 AM   #56

Name: Tom
Michigan
Happy 50th Norm and Ginny!! I think I speak for many of the people on this forum when I tell you what an inspiration you two have been to the "Nomad" in all of us. We wish you nothing but the best for all your future adventures. We also hope you continue to share them with us. Looking forward to meeting you in sunny FL this winter!

Tom

P.S. I just had my first cup of coffee and see that this was a month ago! I don't know how I missed this? Anyway, the sentiment is the same.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #57

Florida
Roger,
We're big consumers of Vitamin D. We each take it daily. Yesterday I heard a study linking lack of Vitamin D and Alzheimer's. Earlier in the year the new coach of UConn football had the team tested for Vitamin deficiency, as to Vitamin D everyone of them was deficient in Vitamin D. I found that shocking, particularly among young athletes. Can it be that we're not spending enough time outside?

Tom,
The party is this weekend, relatives are gathering and Ginny is really excited; her feet have barely touched the ground since the beginning of the month. We both have birthdays and our anniversary, we agreed on a price for Florida property, bought a new car, and the family is gathering for a two day lakeside party. Ginny is huge on people in general and family in particular.

Ginny makes all the difference in our relationship and I am still working to be more like her. What I loved her for on the first meeting is what I attempt to emulate still. It does take a long time to become a better person.

We definitely have loved our travels, as many on the site do. We have been fortunate to many on the site on the road and at rallies and I can honestly say there are many great RVers on this site. For example, Donna is as real as she seems on the site, Carol does speak from her beliefs, Byron loves his Scamp 13 and a true minimalist when camping, David B. is even more creative than appears while he modifies his Lil Snoozy,... I could go on and on. So many people have helped me through public posts and private emails, thank you Brian and Thomas particularly.

Really thanks to all of you on this our 50th, maybe most of all to Ginny who has allowed my personal insanity to flourish, allowing me to start businesses, build domes, run for office and hit the road. Life is about having fun, particularly with someone you love.

As I write this our Seattle son has just landed in Boston, a flurry of texts of excitement, of hugs and happiness for the weekend to come. Fun and love.....

Thank you all for your kindness.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #58

Arkansas
Norm and Ginny,
Happy 50th Anniversary! Norm, how old was Ginny when you married her? She looks so young! Norm, you did good on marrying such a nice young lady!
May, you guys enjoy another Happy 50 years together!
Norm, as we say in Arkansas, ain't love wonderful!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #59

Florida
Carl.

We we're 22, days before we married. Thanks for the good wishes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #60

Trailer: U-Haul
On Vitamin D:

About 8 years ago or so I developed a sore area under a tooth, in the gum & root area. Felt like a low level infection. If I ignored it it became tender with sharp pain when touched. Also developed a sensitivity to cold with my teeth. My dentist said to use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. It seemed to work for a while.

Using a WaterPik once a day helped a lot with the sore gum.

When the symptoms came back the dentist gave me a script for a special toothpaste. It seemed to work for a while.

When the symptoms came back the dentist gave me a script for a special mouthwash. It did not seem to work. The dentist shrugged his shoulders. I was on my own.

Almost 2 years ago I had a yearly physical with my physician, including blood work. It showed I had a Vit D deficiency. My physician had me take 2000 IU per day of Vit D.

After a month the new blood work showed normal level of Vit D.

I also suddenly realized that my sore gum and cold sensitivity were gone. I mentioned this to my dentist and he laughed at me.

By mistake one time I bought 400 IU Vit D pills. The soreness and cold sensitivity came back in a few weeks. I increased the dosage back to 2000 IU per day and the soreness & cold sensitivity went away.

As my PhD sister would say, that is anecdotal evidence. Maybe but with the changes I experienced and if there is no harm in the dose I take, I will continue.

Sorry for the long post but it seems this type of info needs to be passed on.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote