So Close to Purchase but Confused - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #15

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
I'm not much help since I've only gone camping in my 17' Escape twice now (stupid other things on weekends getting in my way), but with two humans and two dogs (30lb girl and 42lb boy), I will say that my husband got in my way a lot more than my dogs The dogs figured out really quick that being on the bed was the easiest place to be, while the husband tends to block the aisle...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm still looking forward to full timing in the not-too-distant future. I haven't done any long term camping with animals, but I agree with those stating to give it a try, it might not be as bad as you think. I can tell you, that when I was married, the ex and I had a very small home we started in that was not quite 400 square feet, and in that 400 square feet was the two of us, 2 parakeets, 2 aquariums of fish, 2 cats, 5 pomeranians, 1 spaniel-lab mix, and 1 yellow lab. We had plenty of room and the only time it really got crowded was when we, the 7 dogs and 2 cats all crawled into bed at the same time. The upside was it kept the heating bills down in the winter, nice and cozy warm.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
With out knowledge of the Casita price, I suggest the following. Don't sell the house. Buy the Casita. Park it in the front yard. Take what you need from the house. Move into the trailer with the dogs. Stay out of the house. DO it for a couple of weeks, months and you'll know quickly.

We moved from the house to the RV when we got our first one just to figure ot our. It was a good trial run. We had decided against pets, unfair to us and them when traveling 7.5 months per year. Personally, 3 dogs is at least 2 too many.

A front yard trial saves selling the house until you know.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Welcome and what Norm suggests above is a good suggestion. It also gives you a chance to see what you really need in the trailer coming out of the house. I believe in "Where there is a will, there is a way." We, my husband, my myself and teen and a 75 lb dog and a cat spent 5 1/2 months in a Coleman pop-up in the desert starting in April when summer hit. You have to be organized. Our pets and family members always "cluster" anyway so in our 1500 sq ft home, with now 3 adults, 2 larger dogs and guinea pig, we are usually in about a 10 sq ft space together. Ah, togetherness, I want to full-time alone! With the dogs, do they run like the wind and ignore you when you call them? Do they howl when they are alone? I'm not real familiar with the hounds and I know those characteristics aren't always present. I never wanted a lab because of their "characteristics" but saw this older well-behaved dog............ Energy? The dog wouldn't move if her tail was on fire - Yellow Dog, think Chevy Chase movie! I, too, follow RVSue. As others have said, the resale would go smoothly on a Casita if you get it and change your mind. We rented a house once and learned our lesson. We recently relocated and put everything in storage, as we unpacked it, I wondered why I didn't purge 1/2 the stuff which really had no purpose but to drive up the cost of storage. Always have an "exit" plan in place, what you will do when you decide not to full-time. What I really like are the lots you can to put your camper on with something like a shed/cabin with washer/dryer and some room to stretch out and many of these communities are popping up. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #19

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Welcome to the forum. My wife and I travel (not full time, but extensively) in our 17 foot Oliver with 3 dogs. We have 2 small dogs, a miniature pincher and a dachshund and 1 large dog, a Doberman (about 100 lb.) We stay outside a lot as do the dogs. They love to travel and are always ready to "go". We've been on many multi-week trips with them and really wouldn't think of leaving without them. We tow with a 4WD Tahoe. I modified the rear area to accommodate the dogs and camping gear. There are only the two front seats, a large middle area for the dogs and the rear for the other stuff. I completely understand about the dogs and your not wanting to leave them. Rest assured it can be done. It can get crowded inside with everybody on board but you will have one less person than we do. Relax and enjoy your retirement.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #20

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Hillary is right on---da&@ husband is the one who gets in the way!!!!!!! Seriously, I have 2 pugs and would NOT part with them ! They are cuddlers, so I can't imagine a better day than snuggled in a Casita with the rain on the roof!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I can understand how "Dog Activity" oriented peeps can enjoy life in a FGRV, but what bhounds seems interested in doing might be a lot more of a challenge. The former tend to go to and stay at places where like minded others congregate, shows, trials etc. and our 4 legged friends fit in and are welcome.

But bhound seems to be more interested in being a tourist 1st, visiting national parks, being outside etc. In this latter case having three best friends along will not only be a huge task to manage, but could reduce enjoyment of RV'ing somewhat for the following, and many more reasons:

1. #1 overriding priority wil always be having to consider the dogs in everything you want to do, from where to park, to where to eat, to what and where to visit.

2. It would be nearly inpossible to do anything without them, you can't leave three dogs locked in a trailer while you go to look at the Liberty Bell, visit the Smithsonian or even take a short day hike.

3. Just taking care of the "personal" needs of 3 good sized dogs would be a full time activity and, in itself, can present a problem in certain venues.

4. Most local, state and national parks mandate that pets be kept on a leash and are usually not welcome inside most buildings. The thought of trying to enjoy Yosemite or Yellowstone or even hike many trails and have to manage three leashed dogs while doing so boggles the mind.

5. through 25. You get the idea

About the house thing.... I rent out several rooms in my house. This not only provides additional income, but it leaves someone in my house when I am away. I give one tennant rent reduction for days I am away for taking care of the house, forwarding mail, putting out fires etc..... It's always worked well for me.

And, as far as renting an RV for a trial.... Good luck in getting a rental with your three friends. Most won't rent to peeps with pets.

Life is full of choices....
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
It sounds like the consensus is buy the Egg and take it out for a month or two on some test runs. If you have read the forum long enough you know that you would have no problem getting all of your money back out even a year later. JMO.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #23

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Bob is the voice of reason. We just got back from vacation with 3 dogs (in a cabin ) and it did take planning and cutting some things short so dogs would not be alone all the time. If you read RVSue's blog---you know she considers her dogs in whatever she does. I will say, during my vacation to South Dakota I saw MANY people traveling with dogs and bringing them into places I was surprised to see them-----

Also become familiar with "pet friendly" places. The ABSOLUTE BEST is 4 Paws Kingdom in Rutherfordton, NC ( not far from Asheville ). This is a wonderful place dedicated to adult owners and their pets! Off-leash yards which include agility equipment, a pond, water faucets, dogs to play with. AND for a few dollars, you can take a day trip to see surrounding sights and they will let your dogs out to potty. On weekends they have fun theme celebrations for the humans!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #24

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
Steve, see my photo of the gang next to my member name. We make it work. Much easier with the dogs than it would be with another person. The dogs really try to accommodate my wishes. The tough part is getting them all leashed up in the morning first thing so they can go out for their walk. Weather permitting, we spend almost all of our time outside. We have developed a routine and you will too.
I could not and would not give up my dogs.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #25

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'll be honest and say I think this question involves more than number of dogs. A dog of Great Dane, Mastiff, Bloodhound size is a big footprint on the severely-limited floor space of a camping trailer as narrow as a Casita and that footprint, unlike that of the usual human companion is all fours most of the time. The space requirement for each of the short but long-bodied Bassets is nearly as large. I'd say if it works it will be because you make the sacrifice of convenience, comfort, and efficiency in your movements and activities inside the trailer. If you fulltime year round in a three season trailer, you'll also have three dog nights which will prove a very mixed blessing. I think you need a bigger trailer and a dedicated place for these guys to bunk down.

Hillary is certainly spot on about dogs settling in the cushiest berth and correct that they are more sedentary than most human campers.

jack
Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #26

Kansas
Once when we were looking at an smaller unit for sale by owner, I said "Where will the dog sleep as I looked around." The owner, an older gentleman said "Dogs usually find there own place.", which is true. We have traveled with dogs and/or cats for over 30 years now and stayed long term in smaller RVs although not fiberglass but with 3 to 4 humans and the pets. People with dogs generally accept what others see as limitations as a fact of life related to the choices that they have made not as some kind of liability. The dogs are leashed, watered and walked at the rest area before I use the facilities. We have traveled across the US and passed up many things that those without pets would have experienced but the presence and company of the dogs/cats was worth it as they are pets, not babies or hair-challenged humans, to me but a part of our family nevertheless. We have 2 dogs, an Australian shepherd/chow mix, 60 lbs and the yellow lab, over 80 lbs. Only the OP can know how his particular dogs will adjust. Dogs, all breeds, are adaptable IF the owner works with them.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #27

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
We have a casita 17 & a 65lb dog. We made the decision not to let him up on the cushions & put his large bed in the aisle. It is a continual juggling act as he is always blocking something. A wider aisle would be great but of course would mean a wider trailer. Always a compromise but we wouldn't dream of leaving him home.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #28

Kansas
Maybe something like the Burro or Eggcamper with the wider aisle might give the dogs more room?