So Close to Purchase but Confused - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #29

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhounds View Post

Wanting to buy a local Casita, 17' Liberty, mint condition with some mods and shines like new.....but fear I wont have enough room with 3 dogs, to full-time.

Thanks for your replies.
You might not even have enough oxygen for yourself and three medium-size dogs.

All kidding aside:

Though doable and even enjoyable for recreational travelers like most of us, these trailers are simply too small to live in full time with three dogs the size of yours- or three animals of any size/type (including human) in my opinion.

A 17' foot Casita has 102 sq feet of space as an empty shell, and probably no more than ten or twelve square feet of floor space once finished. Can you imagine you and the dogs cooped up on rainy days?

Of course, only you know your own comfort zone. I propose baby steps here:

The Casita sounds like a gem, and if I were you I'd buy it, keep the house, and recreation-camp for a year. See how it shakes out for you and your pals, and decide on lifestyle choices after that. You'll have lost nothing if you decide to sell the Casita in a year or two as it will probably be worth what you paid for it even then.

Good luck!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
Buy the Casita. If you love the dogs as much as I think you do.............you will find a way to make it work. I have a 13 ft and have spent time on the road with my sister and a couple of dogs and it always works out. My family makes fun of me because I always take care of the dogs BEFORE I take care of the humans. And I always look for thing to do that allows dogs. AND the 4paws kingdom IS a wonderful place. Oh.....you might want to give the dogs the bed and you take the side dinette.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
The Lil Hauly has plenty of room for as many dogs as you wish.

A picture at post #7

road trip to Snoozyville

You could add what conveniences other than room for the dogs you wished.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: Back to Shopping
Indiana
I called the seller this morning and told him I was wanting to buy the Casita I looked at a couple of weeks ago. It's a 17' Liberty, mint condition with some nice lighting and other electrical mods. He will tint the windows and put in new flooring, my choice of floor material. (suggestions??)

After 20 months I have finally made a decision what to purchase. I will be able to tow this with my current vehicle, everything I need and small enough to learn with. I have state parks 20-40 miles away in all directions. I believe as I wait for my next move, those state parks will be good training grounds for me as well as some nice weekends.

I will continue to dive into this site and learn as much as I can. After 20 months and a lot of email/phone conversation I have a lot of good advice bookmarked or written down.

Excited about the purchase. I'll add pictures once I get it home in a few weeks after he finishes the floor and windows.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #33

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The Casita sounds like a gem, and if I were you I'd buy it, keep the house, and recreation-camp for a year. See how it shakes out for you and your pals, and decide on lifestyle choices after that. You'll have lost nothing if you decide to sell the Casita in a year or two as it will probably be worth what you paid for it even then.

Good luck!

Francesca
This sounds like a great idea and unbelievable that I just discussed this same suggestion with a friend of mine on the phone tonight. He full-timed 5-6 yrs and is in the process of downsizing from a Class A.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhounds View Post
I called the seller this morning and told him I was wanting to buy the Casita I looked at a couple of weeks ago.

Yay-you're in!

Pictures next, I hope...

Francesca
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #35

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
With out knowledge of the Casita price, I suggest the following. Don't sell the house. Buy the Casita. Park it in the front yard. Take what you need from the house. Move into the trailer with the dogs. Stay out of the house. DO it for a couple of weeks, months and you'll know quickly.

We moved from the house to the RV when we got our first one just to figure ot our. It was a good trial run. We had decided against pets, unfair to us and them when traveling 7.5 months per year. Personally, 3 dogs is at least 2 too many.

A front yard trial saves selling the house until you know.
This is a great idea that I have not thought of, nor did any of my friends suggest. The only difference is it will go in the back yard, which is fairly level, whereas my front yard is a 100' slope.

I was going to park it at home so I could go through it, make some modes, spend some time inside, etc......but I like your idea of living in the trailer even better. Although an afternoon like today with Tornado watches and monsoon rains, we might have had to take cover inside the house.

Great suggestion ... I love it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #36

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Welcome and what Norm suggests above is a good suggestion. It also gives you a chance to see what you really need in the trailer coming out of the house. I believe in "Where there is a will, there is a way." We, my husband, my myself and teen and a 75 lb dog and a cat spent 5 1/2 months in a Coleman pop-up in the desert starting in April when summer hit. You have to be organized. Our pets and family members always "cluster" anyway so in our 1500 sq ft home, with now 3 adults, 2 larger dogs and guinea pig, we are usually in about a 10 sq ft space together. Ah, togetherness, I want to full-time alone! With the dogs, do they run like the wind and ignore you when you call them? Do they howl when they are alone? I'm not real familiar with the hounds and I know those characteristics aren't always present. I never wanted a lab because of their "characteristics" but saw this older well-behaved dog............ Energy? The dog wouldn't move if her tail was on fire - Yellow Dog, think Chevy Chase movie! I, too, follow RVSue. As others have said, the resale would go smoothly on a Casita if you get it and change your mind. We rented a house once and learned our lesson. We recently relocated and put everything in storage, as we unpacked it, I wondered why I didn't purge 1/2 the stuff which really had no purpose but to drive up the cost of storage. Always have an "exit" plan in place, what you will do when you decide not to full-time. What I really like are the lots you can to put your camper on with something like a shed/cabin with washer/dryer and some room to stretch out and many of these communities are popping up. Good luck with your decision.
That's a lot of people and pets in a pop up ... I like your theory. All 3 of my hounds spend time alone while I am at work. I have actually set up a video camera to see what they did while I was gone, if they barked, howled etc. I live outside a small rural town, so my 3 neighbors are within site but not within sound. My hounds did nothing but trade sleeping spots for the time I was gone, usually from 7am - 4pm. On weekends they sleep massive number of hours, get up to eat, go outside and take 1 walk...then back to sleep.

They do come when I call them but in the hound bred, once they lock into a scent they like, they are off to the races. I have retractable leashes for all of them that move out to 25'.

I like the lots you speak of and one of my friends from my home town uses that type of lot for their winters in Texas and then travel during the summer.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #37

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
We have a casita 17 & a 65lb dog. We made the decision not to let him up on the cushions & put his large bed in the aisle. It is a continual juggling act as he is always blocking something. A wider aisle would be great but of course would mean a wider trailer. Always a compromise but we wouldn't dream of leaving him home.
My bloodhound has always preferred a bare floor to sleep on. Even as a pup she would move the blankets to the far back corner of the training kennel so she could sleep on the bare plastic floor. Luckily the basset's are not jumpers due to their build, nor climbers. I think it will work.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #38

Indiana
For all the replies and ideas ... thank you!

I will add pictures here on the forum and my profile. I have a blog but I was waiting to break the news to my readers after I got the trailer home and could take some pictures. After writing that a Casita wouldn't work a few weeks ago, my readers will be shocked with my purchase.

The thing is, I have always camped in a tent, backpacked with a tent and have spent large amounts of time in small places due to work requirements in the past....so me and the 3 hounds are use to sharing spaces on bad weather days. On suggestion of a past Casita owner and a full-timer, I taped off my 12 x 15 room to the size of a 6x14 living space, then taped off an isle down the center and a couple of feet from each wall ...to get an idea of what it would like like in a Casita and my dogs. This was months ago that I did this and I thought then it was doable....tight but could work.

Although full-time house dogs, they all enjoy being outside on good weather days and spend hours sleeping in the sun on weekends. Their daily routine is out immediately first thing for a short trip, back inside for a treat (they know where the treats are kept) and by the time I get out of the shower, all 3 are sound asleep on their spots.

I will have to say in regards to Bob ... I am more of a boondocker than a tourist. I have seen a lot of the sights over the years while staying in motels and renting cars....but my purpose in the past 20 months was all about researching fulltime living off the grid, close enough for food and water and living minimal as possible. Hi tech equipment along with an HD tv/satalite set up for my sports addiction. I think that addiction will decrease the more time I spend outside hiking, biking and reading. Over the past 20 months I have been able to learn and save info on wifi signal booserts, solar panels, water, food and living off the grid. Out in the middle of the desert with no one around for the winter sounds perfect to me ... lol

Thanks again and I promise I will post pictures.

If you would like to see the hounds and 20 months worth of posts on my thought process....you can catch my blog at:

Hounds and RVs
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #39

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Nice website and it looks like you have really been doing your research. Nice dogs. With flooring, I would not want carpet and I would not want the wood(or wood look) floors with the crevices. One thing neat I saw in a "stickie" was a carpet, sort of like indoor/outdoor and it snapped to the floor so it could be easily removed/replaced. My dogs tend to slip/slide away on vinyl now that they are getting older and I guess, me also.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #40

Registry
Checked out your blog, Steve- you really have been doing your homework!

Francesca
Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #41

Indiana
Here are 5 pictures taken today

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #42

Indiana
pic 3