So Close to Purchase but Confused - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #61

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

I'm one of the non-Interstate drivers. It's true that I can get better mileage on Interstates, but only marginally so. The price of the hectic interstate traffic, people cutting in and out, is just not worth it to me. In the days I have to drive the Northeast's interstates there's not a trip where I wonder why there aren't more accidents. I happily admit that some of the west's interstates are less traveled.

It turns out there are many roads with actually relatively few starts and stops that are not interstates. The former road system that criss crosses the USA like the north/south route 93 is a perfect example. The beauty of it clearly make it worthwhile. There are stops and starts, but more often for the good views or interesting little towns than traffic lights or stop signs.

For you westerners it's like choosing between coastal 101 and I-5.

As to frontal area, outside of driver's style, it's the major factor in towing mpg. My fiberglass trailer weighs more than my former stick built trailer. The fiberglass trailer weighs more but has less frontal area and better shape.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #62

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
"A 19' Airstream weighs at least 1000 lbs more than a 19' Escape and costs $20 K more." AND the Airstream is one foot wider than the Escape so is has more frontal area.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #63

Name: Murphy
Trailer: Scamp 16' Delux
Washington
Having gone the rout of a 23' c, 25' airstream, 32' class a, 38' 5th wheel Montana, and now a 16' scamp I think we have done pretty much them all. The big ones have room and like living in a home, but many state and federal parks are still pretty much set up for 25' or less rv's (although some are adding larger spaces). The larger trailers give you a good excuse to stay inside and stay cool or warm, watch tv and live a solitary life. We wanted something to drop on the back of our car and take weekend trips to explore (pretty much anywhere) now that we are retired. We have 3 dogs, 50lb, 30lb with a wheelchair for his back legs and a small 13lb lap dog. I will not lie, they get under feet and usually pick the worst place to lay down if you are all cramped into the trailer. Saying that, we get by with a little push and shove and make do.

We still look at other trailers and some b's but then we come back to realize that say the Navion/View type rvs are really nice but ....they are $100,000 and for the most part very similar in size to our little 16' scamp. I would take one if someone gave it to me, but that's a ton of money!

I suggest you find a place to rent a Scamp or similar trailer, then maybe go to cruise america and rent a 16 20 24 or 30' class c.

Also dont forget that a big part of rv life is tow vehicles if you go for a trailer. Make sure you have something with the power to tow safely.
Murphy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #64
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
The OP has left the building.

You guys can continue to talk among yourselves, but Steve signed off on 6/29/2013 - and he has so far not returned. It seems a small molded fiberglass travel trailer does not meet his current needs.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #65

Name: Steve
Trailer: Back to Shopping
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
The OP has left the building.

You guys can continue to talk among yourselves, but Steve signed off on 6/29/2013 - and he has so far not returned. It seems a small molded fiberglass travel trailer does not meet his current needs.
It looks like I am back!!

Came close TWICE of buying the Starcraft AR-ONE...close enough to hand them the check. Something kept holding me back. I have always liked the LiL Snoozy and have just recently figured out how an all electric trailer can work with my plans of boondocking most of the time.
bhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #66

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Care to elaborate?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #67

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhounds View Post
It looks like I am back!!

Came close TWICE of buying the Starcraft AR-ONE...close enough to hand them the check. Something kept holding me back. I have always liked the LiL Snoozy and have just recently figured out how an all electric trailer can work with my plans of boondocking most of the time.
Oh my Steve, as you can see the conversation continued on without you. (we're like that around here, we beat a subject to death lol). It seems that something in the FG world continues to call to you.

I was given this advice quite a while ago and it seems appropriate here: "Make your decision, and then you can make it into the RIGHT decision"

...welcome back !
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #68
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
What Pam said!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #69

Name: Steve
Trailer: Back to Shopping
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy C. View Post
We have 3 dogs, 50lb, 30lb with a wheelchair for his back legs and a small 13lb lap dog. I will not lie, they get under feet and usually pick the worst place to lay down if you are all cramped into the trailer. Saying that, we get by with a little push and shove and make do.
I was sold on getting the Starcraft 17RD AR-ONE. I sat in them on numerous occasions, took my own measurements inside and had the check in hand two different trips but I held off.

I came to realize that no matter what trailer I buy and travel with my dogs, space will seem small. I like what the quote above says....."get by with a little push and shove we make do.".

Once I saw the possibilities of getting off the grid with a 4X4 tow vehicle and a smaller trailer, my desire for the larger A's or C's drifted to the side. I wanted a small trailer, just a place to sleep, stay dry in stormy weather and a light enough GVWR that I could keep my tow vehicle.

I know how light I can travel with clothing etc. I know how much additional water I need to carry and I also know that between a small FB trailer and my tow vehicle, everything I need will fit.

After spending almost 23 months researching, test driving all sizes of RVs I believe it's normal to want the larger size rig, no matter what size you end up buying. Right now I am looking at the LiL Snoozy as I have in the past, also the Casita I took pictures of and posted here is still for sale and only 30 miles from me.

I keep asking myself why not re-consider the smaller fibreglass trailer when so many people full-time in them.
bhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #70

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
...life is too short to ride on the fence too long....
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #71

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhounds View Post
I believe it's normal to want the larger size rig, no matter what size you end up buying.
We call it two-foot-itis around here since most trailer models seem to increase in size by about two feet at a time.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote