So how does one afford to full-time?! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #29
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
We had planned on hitting the road for the winter in 2009-2010 with the Wesfalia. It didn't happen. The Westy is sold now.
Now I'm thinking of doing the same in my 13ft. Trillium and all this chatter has my head gears turning and churning. She said our plans will be your plans now.
Keep talking guys. You may just give me the nudge I need.....
Thanks. Scouter Dave
Hi: Scouter Dave... Nice to have met you at Niagara Wine Escape. The weather rock is performing perfectly!!! Hangs just outside the kitchen window to remind me of you and give up to the minute reports on the weather too.
Keep on'll find at times she'll be there to help you decide!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #30
Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Hi Cindy...I feel as you do...I just picked up my 13 scamp and want to travel alot...but not necessarily alone at campsites. I am planning a trip to Ashville right now and would love to visit Pennsylvania next summer. If you plan a trip towards the Atlanta area, we could meet.

pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #31
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Emily and Cindy,

When we began long range RVing we were often in some rather strage looking parks and felt some apprehension. We quickly learned that it was wasted tension. People were friendly everywhere we stayed.

There have been a couple of parks we've pulled into where it didn't feel right and we didn't stay.

One option you have is to ask people for park reccomendations when you travel, we do. One gets many neat reccomendations.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation Some off topic posts were moved to their own topics

I split out two of discussions within this thread and sent them to their own Threads.
The first split topic is closed. The more recent split topic is here:
Women travelling alone

We now will return to the discussion about how to afford to full-time.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #33
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
We did a two month trip from northern campground to campground (wilderness campsites) just timed it so moved north so as to match the times each park was in bloom with small stays mostly 2 to 3 days at each extra if something special was found.
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #34
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
hey alf! glad you met scouter dave, great guy. my weather rock gets hung from my awning at every campsite so i can always have the current weather.

no as for long term or fulltiming,,,i have been giving it a lot of thought.

first i would say most of us have to adjust our needs and wants a little bit to fit the space available. might not be able to fit that big screen plasma with surround sound in the camper. but i think all that stuff falls into place if its really what you want to do.

so since you still have to eat, bathe, wash clothing,,and such no matter where you are living,,, possible exception of not washing clothing if you stay at ,,,well,,,, naturist parks.
so the big difference you can make in cost if selection of where you stay.

personaly i am fine with dry camping in state and federal forests and such. most of that is free. in michigan for example they call it dispersed camping, you hang a camp card gotten for free from the department of natural resources, and you have to be at least a mile from an official state camp ground . you can stay for up to 15 days. then you have to move.
when we travel i find truckstops, or as they are more often being called now, "travel centers" to be a good source of free overnighting. they are secure,,,if a touch noisey. and you can get a shower for a couple dollars and wash clothing and take care of all sorts of things. plus they often have a game room and television lounge to hang out it. even wifi to keep in touch with family.
of course theres the famous walmart rv parks,,,and miejers camping centers,lol. you can also stay at cabellas.
one thing a lot of folks don't know,,, most police departments will allow you to sleep over night in their parking lot, talk about security,lol.
just go in and say your traveliing and are just getting too tired and would it be ok to sleep for a bit . most are happy to let you.
some states let you sleep in roadside rest areas,,,,some don't so you have to check first.
another thing i have done is simply pull into a camper or rv dealer after closing. anyone that see's you there assumes your having trouble and are waiting for them to open, and usually leave you alone. i have even had a cop stop buy and bring me a sandwich thinking i was
of course these are things aimed at just getting you a spot for overnight sleeping while traveling.
mostly be flexable and adventurous.
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so, some have entertained angels unaware.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #35
Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Welcome to the group Becky

From the photo I do not think retirement is in your near

I found that just by goggling Boondocking..I learned alot.

I also learned that Escapees RV Club

may have some programs that could be of help.....worth looking into at least.

Good luck and keep us informed.

papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote