So how does one afford to full-time?! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Here is another link to "free or cheap" campsites: Free Campgrounds for RVs
Also, here is a link to a forum about full timing Escapees Discussion Forum

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #22

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

Greetings,
This is a post on full timing with a twist : )

My wife and i still work, though since we found ourselves rarely being more than a hug away from each other over the past ~30 years we decided since the nest was empty...to downsize from a 1 acre 3 bedroom farmhouse to a 38ft mobile suite. We love it (moved in fall of 2011). . . a year later and we still giggle over the simplicity and beauty of living at a golf resort on the oregon coast 5 minutes from work. with total housing expenses coming in under ~$800 a month. Sure we have other "Bills", but housing costs were cut by nearly 2/3rds. . . and having that golf green out the dining room window is sweet.

When we go play it is in our van conversion, and like many, we prefer the free sites, most of our favorites happen to be BLM or Forestry land set aside for public mining/prospecting and free for up to 14 days in 30. BUT what we found is that if you keep a clean camp, the rangers rarely bother you to move, and if you are nice, they might just have you move a 1/2 mile up the road just to keep the boss happy : )

I've followed FRV forum for several years, and my wife and i are probably going to purchase a 7x14ft+5ft vNose fiberglass trailer from fibertech and do the conversion ourselves. It will be set up for 100% off grid use like our van. Except for going into town once a week for a bag of ice and food we can camp indefinitely as time away from work allows.

Happy Trails,
Thom
From the WET! Coast of Oregon, USA
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #23

Name: Donna
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
So didn't you get a bunch of great replies. I have yet to purchase. I just keep looking and thinking about it. I have income and I retired last year. What continues to stop me are: 1.. selecting just the right size, priced, in shape trailer and 2. the being single part which I am not sure got addressed by others.

I have lots of family where I live in Austin TX and have concerns about being lonely one the road and also clueless about fixing my trailer or even parking the trailer (lol).... I keep thinking there is a group of women out there travelling together and I just need to find them.... I am sure you guys are my tribe. peace Donna
paris127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris127 View Post
So didn't you get a bunch of great replies. I have yet to purchase. I just keep looking and thinking about it. I have income and I retired last year. What continues to stop me are: 1.. selecting just the right size, priced, in shape trailer and 2. the being single part which I am not sure got addressed by others.

I have lots of family where I live in Austin TX and have concerns about being lonely one the road and also clueless about fixing my trailer or even parking the trailer (lol).... I keep thinking there is a group of women out there travelling together and I just need to find them.... I am sure you guys are my tribe. peace Donna
Hi Donna,
You might consider renting a trailer for a week or two. I suggest in February and spending the time at Rio Grand Village in Big Bend National Park. Don't forget to purchase the Senior Pass when come into the park. Start talking to the people camped there. You'll be surprised how friendly they are, and helpful.
In face you have trouble parking and setting up a trailer there will be somebody around willing to help.
Our first long trip was 30 days in Death Valley and Joshua Tree NP in February. The first thing I discovered about Death Valley and most other National Parks in the winter is the people there are simi-full timers to full timers.
If you find it too stressful you haven't invested a lot of money. My guess it won't take long to get a trailer and start traveling. Winter travel to the south is my preference.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I am not sure what you are looking for, but I full-time without any pension or anything. I am 40 yrs old. I afford it by workamping. I have worked two seasons at Yellowstone National Park and am currently working at Amazon.com for their Christmas season. My only bills are my cell phone and car insurance.

I am not getting rich, or as yet saving a whole lot. I am getting rich in other ways though. I meet people from all over the world doing what I do and I am loving it. I am a single female and have been doing this for four years now. I sold EVERYTHING! It's very liberating.

Oh, a couple of websites to checkout jobs are:
Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com Look around, they have a specific link for Rv workers
Workamper News This one costs money, but is great for getting to know the workamping situation. They also have a forum there, very helpful

I hope this has been helpful.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #26

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

In general this has gone a long way to a healthier life.

Fuel is also inescapeable. We minimize it, though not without controversy, by towing with a fuel efficient vehicle. As well we don't race around the country, we drive slower paced roads at a reasonable rate.

On the road life has been great.....
just a clip from your post
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fuel

Fuel is a significant cost item, even when using a fuel efficient vehicle however there are definitely ways to minimize the cost for full time travel and for people out for long periods.

When we were young we had a map with all these famous places scattered across North America. Going from one of those to another can be expensive, like a Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier Loop, lots of miles for three great places.

What we've learned on the road is that you can drive a lot fewer miles and see wonderful places. There are so many places to visit that you've never heard of in any area of the NA.

This year we spent 10 days in Elko County, NV. Our campground hosts were always suggesting new things to see and do. In ten days we never did complete their list.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
So very true. We often drive past many, many great places of interest just to get to a better know, and often way more commercialized place.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #29

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
We had planned on hitting the road for the winter in 2009-2010 with the Wesfalia. It didn't happen. The Westy is sold now.
Now I'm thinking of doing the same in my 13ft. Trillium and all this chatter has my head gears turning and churning. She said our plans will be your plans now.
Keep talking guys. You may just give me the nudge I need.....
Thanks. Scouter Dave
Hi: Scouter Dave... Nice to have met you at Niagara Wine Escape. The weather rock is performing perfectly!!! Hangs just outside the kitchen window to remind me of you and give up to the minute reports on the weather too.
Keep on planing...you'll find at times she'll be there to help you decide!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #30

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Hi Cindy...I feel as you do...I just picked up my 13 scamp and want to travel alot...but not necessarily alone at campsites. I am planning a trip to Ashville right now and would love to visit Pennsylvania next summer. If you plan a trip towards the Atlanta area, we could meet.

Emily
pageleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Emily and Cindy,

When we began long range RVing we were often in some rather strage looking parks and felt some apprehension. We quickly learned that it was wasted tension. People were friendly everywhere we stayed.

There have been a couple of parks we've pulled into where it didn't feel right and we didn't stay.

One option you have is to ask people for park reccomendations when you travel, we do. One gets many neat reccomendations.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #32

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation Some off topic posts were moved to their own topics

I split out two of discussions within this thread and sent them to their own Threads.
The first split topic is closed. The more recent split topic is here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...one-55247.html

We now will return to the discussion about how to afford to full-time.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #33

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We did a two month trip from northern campground to campground (wilderness campsites) just timed it so moved north so as to match the times each park was in bloom with small stays mostly 2 to 3 days at each extra if something special was found.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #34

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hey alf! glad you met scouter dave, great guy. my weather rock gets hung from my awning at every campsite so i can always have the current weather.

no as for long term or fulltiming,,,i have been giving it a lot of thought.

first i would say most of us have to adjust our needs and wants a little bit to fit the space available. might not be able to fit that big screen plasma with surround sound in the camper. but i think all that stuff falls into place if its really what you want to do.

so since you still have to eat, bathe, wash clothing,,and such no matter where you are living,,, possible exception of not washing clothing if you stay at ,,,well,,,, naturist parks.
so the big difference you can make in cost if selection of where you stay.

personaly i am fine with dry camping in state and federal forests and such. most of that is free. in michigan for example they call it dispersed camping, you hang a camp card gotten for free from the department of natural resources, and you have to be at least a mile from an official state camp ground . you can stay for up to 15 days. then you have to move.
when we travel i find truckstops, or as they are more often being called now, "travel centers" to be a good source of free overnighting. they are secure,,,if a touch noisey. and you can get a shower for a couple dollars and wash clothing and take care of all sorts of things. plus they often have a game room and television lounge to hang out it. even wifi to keep in touch with family.
of course theres the famous walmart rv parks,,,and miejers camping centers,lol. you can also stay at cabellas.
one thing a lot of folks don't know,,, most police departments will allow you to sleep over night in their parking lot, talk about security,lol.
just go in and say your traveliing and are just getting too tired and would it be ok to sleep for a bit . most are happy to let you.
some states let you sleep in roadside rest areas,,,,some don't so you have to check first.
another thing i have done is simply pull into a camper or rv dealer after closing. anyone that see's you there assumes your having trouble and are waiting for them to open, and usually leave you alone. i have even had a cop stop buy and bring me a sandwich thinking i was stuck.lol
of course these are things aimed at just getting you a spot for overnight sleeping while traveling.
mostly be flexable and adventurous.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #35

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Welcome to the group Becky

From the photo I do not think retirement is in your near future...lol

I found that just by goggling Boondocking..I learned alot.

I also learned that Escapees RV Club

may have some programs that could be of help.....worth looking into at least.

Good luck and keep us informed.
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote