So you're fulltiming, what are you doing for fun & do u have storage for it? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #15

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
1) Solo w/ no pets. Rock a 13ft FBRV and a 4-cyl TW (probably a CRV or RAV4 type) and move around every few days, putting on lots of miles. I'd be unhooking to travel into big cities for day short trips, day hikes, riding my bicycle (would need a hitch on the rear of the FGRV), boondocking out west (solar), kayaking in lakes and rivers (I have a foldable Folbot Cooper now, but could do a fiberglass kayak as well so long as I could store it and it not be too much if a PIA to load/unload)
Yep... that's me (minus the kayak/bike and in a V6 Wrangler). For fun, I explore where I am or I move to someplace else... I do not have a storage unit for the trailer but I do have a small storage unit for some residual furniture that I am just about ready to throw out!

I couldn't handle a pet or another person in here, though.... I was married for 17 years.... I'm enjoying my solo time.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It' always the "little" issues that will trip one up.

Hanging bikes off the back of many FGRV's may not be a good idea both due to weight/balance as well as frame strength.

Mounting Kayaks "somewhere" is always a lively topic.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
We've camped across Canada (9 of 10 provinces to date) and across the USA (49 of 50 states). We are driven by a 'sport/game' to find unusual hidden spaces, that are unique to almost everywhere. It's Geocaching for us. We intend to 'cache' in Newfoundland soon; but, won't likely camp/geocache in Hawaii.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
We've camped across Canada (9 of 10 provinces to date) and across the USA (49 of 50 states). We are driven by a 'sport/game' to find unusual hidden spaces, that are unique to almost everywhere. It's Geocaching for us. We intend to 'cache' in Newfoundland soon; but, won't likely camp/geocache in Hawaii.
Dave,

What's the best geocaching tool these days?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #19

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
What's the best geocaching tool these days?
Norm;
No doubt about it - As you too have experienced; the very 'best' is an eager, loving wife, who equally enjoys our inquisitive geographic explorations. And, a quality GPS receiver helps too ! Together, we use Magellan products (currently, a Magellan eTrex 30) whenever, and wherever we travel.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #20

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Hey bullfrog you might want to reconsider geocaching in Hawaii... I found some really great caches out there that led me to some amazing off the beaten path spots! I love my Garmin GPSmap 60CSX but, I gotta say, nowadays I rarely need anything else but my phone. Happy caching and camping!

Matt
Old 08-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #21

Ontario
Registry
Wow ! My colossal error - We always used 'GARMIN' GPS receivers - not Magellan ! Our eTrex 30 is the most recent. But, the 'missus' is the 'best' support for geocaching. And thanks Matt; we WILL be geocaching in Hawaii - ASAP, but not likely with the Boler (Hmmm - do they float ?).
Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #22

Florida
Matt of late we have been using our phone as well. Unfortunately or fortunately as you head way north phones don't work (Labrador). We used a Garmin as well that died and was thinking of another one. Ginny likes to geocache because she likes to find the cache before me plus it''s fun to go to the 'off' locations.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #23

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Dog? I love dogs and have had dogs since I was born. We have camped with dogs, traveled with dogs and relocated with dogs a few times. We have lived full-time in a stick trailer.

For those that worry about the AC dying while you are away, worry more about your dog barking the entire time you are gone which is the more likely scenario or getting reported for leaving an animal in a vehicle in the heat or one that looks like it is in some kind of distress. I have seen dogs tear down the curtains and scratch endlessly at the door, fall from whatever they were standing on and barking and scratching at the window. Most RV parks don't allow dogs to be left alone in the RV especially when they are barking. Please don't get a second dog to "entertain" or "keep the other company" as that does not work and only seemed to double the trouble in the cases where I saw it.

A dog is a LOT of responsibility and does severely limit your options. Be responsible and don't make your dog a burden on others who will end up taking away my ability to find a campground where I can stay with my dogs. We follow the rules and expect everyone else to do the same.

We have found at home that a citronella collar works very well. I could not bring myself to use a shock collar on our barker.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #24

Name: Jane
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
What a beautiful description.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #25

Florida
Stimulation

One of the aspects of long term travel is the stimulation that's possible to find on the road.

If you're a reader it may be the opportunity to just sit for the good part of the day and read a marvelous book, and to be able to do it with our any interruption or every day responsibilities of a non-RV life..

It may be a short hike to a world class vista, or seeking out a multi colored iceberg, views that stick with you for ever and can not be adequately shared even with pictures. Satisfying images that make you smile for years.

It may be knowledge gained by walking through a Presidential Library, opening your eyes and mind to history.

It may be the stimulation of getting to know your partner. Though Ginny and I have always been very close with a great relationship, there are I've learned about Ginny during our travels.

It could be discovering the different cultures across North America, the different foods, the different lifestyles, providing an extension of who you might be.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #26

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
Wow - have to echo what everyone else has said about sightseeing and just enjoying new places.
I like kites and find space in the back of the bathroom for my kite bag - jams nicely behind the vent pipe.
I carry a bike and an inflatable kayak. Used to travel with a glass boat but the inflatable is faster to set up, tracks just as well, and I'm not as fussy with it (less $$$ at stake!)
I sketch so I carry more art stuff than really fits, audio books take no room at all, a few games like yahtzee and cards for social occassions. A camera and laptop for blogging.

I do have a cat - not ideal for travel but she's old and leaving her behind isn't an option.

Anne H

Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming