Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Name: Tracy
Trailer: purchasing a Boler
Alberta
storage/space saving ideas for the 13' Boler

Just interested to know what space-saving storage ideas full-timers have come up with in their 13' foot Bolers. I have seen some great ideas in the many pics I have come across but would appreciate any suggestions from those who have survived to tell the tale! lol

Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
hi tracy---one of the simplest ways to save space is to be frugal with what you place in it from the start. make things do double-duty. if you pack it and don't use it within the first couple of outings, take it out. if you are only one or two people, don't bring dishes for 6, for example.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

Alberta
Good advice, Theresa. That is what I am trying to do now. There will only be myself for the most part and maybe a friend of mine at some point for a short while so I am only taking enough for two at the most. As I am relocating and still will be working I do need to take more than if I was just camping (ie. appropriate work clothes) but at the same time, it's all just stuff in the end...easily replaced .
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Alberta
I was thinking about what people consider the must haves versus things that could easily be lived without too!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Storage in these small fiberglass RVs is always a challenge.
Here are some of my ideas. We will have had our Scamp one year in Sept.
Many of the things I recommend require custom sewing or woodworking. If you don't sew, ask a friend or your local cleaners to do the simple sewing. If you don't do woodworking, ask a friend or a high school student who is taking woodworking (if they exist anymore).
  • Closet-The bar in the closet is a useless waste of space. It's difficult to get at any clothing behind the first item and who needs wrinke-free clothes while camping? Install custom shelving in the closet, post haste!
  • Duffel bolster - Fill a 20" duffel with your clothing (put the toiletry kit and other hard stuff aside or wrapped in the soft clothing) and use it as a bolster pillow. Store under the bed when it is set up or upright on the bench when the dinette is set up.
  • Nylon net bags - The ladies will recognize these as "lingerie bags". They come in drawstring or zipper styles. These are great for men or women to organize your duffel. Put underwear and socks in one, t-shirts rolled up in another. Use a large net bag for laundry and tuck it in the lower wheel space in the closet until laundry day. Add a cedar block or two to keep odor under control.
  • Nylon ditty bags - These are a long-time camping favorite. We keep our card games, books to read, and crossword puzzle books in one. You can use them for all kinds of things. Make your own (easy sewing) or buy them at a camping supply store.
  • Week-long pill box - Use this for pills, vitamins, earrings and such.
  • Stuffed animals - Remove the stuffing from the inside of the stuffed animal, insert a zipper and store clothing or bed pillow inside. I like the Pillow Pets (My Pillow Pets® | The Official Home of Pillow Pets®) myself. The Chocolate Moose is my favorite!
  • Locking suction cup hooks - These attach to smooth fiberglass walls and can hold flyswatter, dishtowel, kitchen mitts, etc. You can get these at OSH, Orchard Supply Hardware, when they go on sale.
  • Velcro - The hook side sticks to the "rat fur" amazingly well. Use it to stick stuffed animals, photos, "shoe pockets", curtain tiebacks, etc.
  • Backpack pots, pans and lids - These are great because they are small, lightweight, nest and the handles fold back.
  • Herbs and spices - You don't need many or much while camping. Store a variety of herbs and spices in those containers that have round containers that screw into each other. There are about 6 containers 1 1/2" across by 1" high. The Container Store and hardware stores sell these. I'm sorry, I don't know what they are called.
  • Shoeboxes from Container Store - These come in regular, half and men's size. They fit nicely in all the nooks and crannies. Use your imagination for the contents. We have a picnic table box that holds the things we need at the outdoor table including tablecloth clips, salt and pepper shakers, citronella candle, backpackers candle lantern, etc.
  • Food in trunk - We keep most food in the trunk in milk crates. The food is handy, secure from bears in bear country, and easy to access. Never store food in the trailer when it is in storage. Various critters and insects may set up home. Tip: remove all cardboard boxes as these attract insects. The food also takes up less space. Use "binder clips" from the stationary store or wire clothespins to cinch the inner bags.
  • Waste can - Our waste can is a small 15" high metal can with plastic pail liner. It has a foot pedal that opens the lid. We line the pail with a plastic grocery bag and remove the garbage daily so as to keep down odors. We keep the can indoors most of the time.
  • When on the move - Travel with the table down and the cushions in place. We place the long tube, mentioned below, across the front span between the two benches so as to keep items stored on the bed in transit in place. Some of the items we put there are folding chairs, pillows, trays, etc.
  • Bedding - This is the most challenging for storing. Most of the time we keep the bed set up in good weather. I made a mattress topper out of thermafoam. There are two 23" strips covered with 100% cotton covers that double as sheets and zip off for washing. These each can be rolled up and secured with a nylon strap. They fit perfectly in the hatch under the bench. We use two full/queen 90" comforters for our bedding. When the bed is "made" we fold the comforters in half, 45" on top of the cushions and mattress topper. When storing the comforters we simply roll them onto a long tube (from the fabric store), secure with nylon straps, place across the benches, under the table to the back. The comforters are out of the way and two people can still sit at the table! When the bed is "made up" we can use it as a "daybed" when we put pillows, stuffed animals and our duffel bolsters on top. This is very comfy.
  • Shoes and jackets - These are the most problematic for me. I'd love to hear ideas that you all have. I carry three pairs of shoes, day hike boots, clogs and sandals. I put an "over the cabinet door" hook over the closet door to hang a jacket (you have to be careful not to overload the cabinet door or the hinge can break)
Well, that's all I have for now. I hope it's a help. I had asked for storage ideas when I started "Scamping" and got very few ideas from folks.
I'll see if I can include photos with my next message.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
With this posting I've attached some photos of the space-saving ideas I use. In addition, you can see that we made custom dividers for the drawer. I also suggest that you use Rubbermaid nesting plastic containers. These not only nest but the lids "click" and hold onto one another. The containers are multi-purpose as you can use them as mixing bowls, cereal bowls, salad bowls, storage for leftovers, salad dressing, etc. They do not leak.
Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 007.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 008.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 006.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 027.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 037.jpg  

Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #7

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Storage in these small fiberglass RVs is always a challenge.
Here are some of my ideas. ..........
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
North Dakota
I'm not a full-timer, but these kind of space-savers are a bit of a hobby for me. I agree with Gilda about the closet (here's the link to what I did with mine). And I also recently cut up an over-the-door shoe holder and staple-gunned it to the insides of cabinets. (Here's the link to that project.) I also got a tip from a friend, who put one of those plastic three-drawer contraptions in the back of his Jeep for clothes. I don't spend more than a week or so in the Scamp at a time, so I'm always curious to see how the mentality is different for the full-timers.

Karen
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #9

Name: Carol
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I dont full time but have done a number of fairly long tips. Have done a few things to make space more usable.

There was some space under my fridge so I cut out the fiberglass and added a door - works for storing long items and cutting boards etc.

Added shelves to the bottom half of the tall storage cupboard (it was just a big pit with no door on it when I got the trailer). Put a shelve between the top and bottom portion of the cupboard so I could store a few taller frequently used items such as lanterns and portable heater on the bottom of the upper hanging closest and still have space for hanging jackets etc.

Added a small organizing unit I modified a bit to fit on the inside of the tall cupboard door of the hanging closet to deal with small clutter items. First aid kit, portable games, sunscreens and bug sprays etc., frequently used hooks and bungee cords etc.

Haven't needed to do but adding a hanging shoe organizer to the inside of a bathroom door (if you have one) also works for storing needed clutter.

Made a water proof nylon bag for holding the outdoor carpet - which when rolled up & bagged it fits neatly under the lower kitchen cupboard overhang without being seen and totally out of the way when not in use.

Added a small metal bathroom basket between the upper kitchen cupboards and the back side cupboards that will hold enough dish towels for a couple of weeks if I roll them up.

Added bungee attachments to a bare flat wall on the outside of the bathroom for storing away my solar panel and kites - anything long and thin, when not in use - they can stay parked there even if the front bunks are in use. Was going to do the same on the inside of the bathroom for holding chairs secure and out of the way while traveling but havent gotten around to it.

Use cubes under the back dinette for storing clothing - One small cube of clothing is all I use - using the soft zippered back packers cubes inside the cube for keeping socks etc organized within the cube. If traveling between different climates - ie from cold winter weather to warmer shorts and flip flop weather I have used a long flat plastic Rubbermaid about 5" high & 3' long in the back of the car that I store away the winter boots and heavy coats in and pull the flip flops and wind jacket out of. Works well as I can still fit by golf clubs in on top of the box. Use another cube box for storing extra bath towels etc.

Photos - show the wall bungee cords - not in use & one storing the solar panel - the cords have clips on one end. The inside closest door organizer & the door under the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
closet org small.JPG   Small Bugee cords in use.jpg  

Small bungee cords.jpg   small_DSC0024.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

Alberta
Wow!! Wonderful ideas....very creative! My wheels are turning. There are many suggestions here I can use or adapt to my trailer. Greatly appreciated, Carol!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #11

Alberta
Fabulous ideas too Gilda! I have camping pots so I have that covered. I like the idea of rolling up bedding ... much more manageable. So many good suggestions. I will be trying as many as I can! Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #12

Alberta
Karen:
I never thought of using my staple gun. I believe my car trunk will become my clothing closet and makeshift pantry to keep foodstuff out of the trailer as Carol suggests .... hmmm....so many ideas, so little time!!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #13

Name: Carol
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Another space saving idea is to look for silicone collapsible bowls. I have set of small ones with lids for left overs and a large salad bowl that collapses as well.... Wally World sometimes has them as does Camping World.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #14

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
The rear dinette on my Scamp is a full time bed,and I've found that 4 Rubbermaid Roughneck 10 gallon totes fit perfect underneath (minus lids)

Tags
boler