summer job - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Still full-timing and working at my main job for the year. I’m a campground manager for 33 campsites spread out in six campgrounds along three miles of narrow road going from 6,000’ to 7,400’ elevation in South Willow Canyon in Utah. A typical day might look like this: up a 5:00 and out the door for an hour run by 6:00 > have breakfast > put on the uniform shirt, hop in the truck by 8:00 and drive to the bottom campground and work up to the top one to see if everyone has paid that came in after my last run of the night before. As I work back down, I empty trash bins; check out sites where campers have left to see if they need picking up or raking; and clean the outhouses. I though the outhouses was going to be the least enjoyable task but they aren’t that bad. I generally stop and talk with different campers and finish back down about 11:00. Then at 5:00 or 6:00, I start again at the bottom, collect fees from new campers and picnic people (not fun), and do a quick clean up as I go through the sites. I also take care of such tasks as shoveling out the fire pits, paint picnic tables, replace signs, fix knocked over posts, trim brush, cut limbs, weed whack, mow grass, sweep bridges, pick up beer cans tossed out along the road, and various other tasks. I’ll also make a midday run to collect fees from picnickers and to just check things out and do some quick maintenance on busy days. Also take a run to the county landfill once a week. Gives me an opportunity to do shopping and hit the other library. Both libraries allow patrons to use USB flash drives so it makes my correspondence WAY easier.

Have only seen one other fiberglass trailer up here. A couple had just picked up a Trillium in California and were bringing it back here to Utah. They found it on this site. They were pretty excited with it and were already planning on some restoration projects. Hope to see more fiberglass RVs. Plenty of small stick and tent trailers come through.

If you want some insight into full timing in a fiberglass trailer, check out:
http://shalyard.blogspot.com > 2008 > February > the lifestyle

IT’S A HOOT!

Stay amused
Sebastian
Attached Thumbnails
casita_in_yard_14.jpg  

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Hope your 4th of July weekend goes smoothly.
Keep us posted!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I start again at the bottom, collect fees from new campers and picnic people (not fun),
We stayed at a Provincial Campground that had self check in during off hours in the pre major season. They marked the booked and reserved sites on a map of the campground, left envelopes for people to pay at the gate house with a sign saying that your change and permits would be delivered to you when staff returned to duty.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
All the South Willow campgrounds also have a box with pay envelopes and a lock post to deposit them in. The problem is most of the locals only pay if someone comes along to collect. It rots.

This lack of honesty is a reason why the forest service tore down a number of their campgrounds over the years and hauled away the debris. Campers were not paying their fees if no one was around so the forest service did not have the money to maintain the sites. That's when these campground management companies started up.

Whenever I camp at a honor system campground, I pick a site and go back and drop my fee in before I even begin setting up. It seems so basic.

Sebastian

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Lock post for deposits is called Iron Ranger, BTW!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote