THe Orchid Thief - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
THe Orchid Thief

Before we retired and began our RV life, our little beach house had Orchids growing in most rooms.

I went to a dinner once where the host had a large dinner table centerpiece of orchids. I was shocked when she told me how easy they were to grow. The little town we were in for that dinner had an old, overgrown exotic plant green house. I was hooked and so began my little family of orchids.

I never became one of those wild eyed orchid collectors but it was a grand little change of direction that still makes me smile. Life is like that wander enough with your eyes open, there is much to discover that is new, a facet that must be developed as a full timer. There is nothing wrong with the old and known, but there is so much to stimulate that is unknown, so much to extend what you are, to make you smile a little before you slip off into dream land.

This week the book club in our Escapee park has selected The Orchid Thief, a relatively new, non-fiction book that contains some of the history of orchids. I will finish this book in a couple of days enthralled by the history and scope of Orchids.

There is so much to wonder about in the world, the ancient, beautiful orchid is one.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #2

Name: Rob
Trailer: '80 Trillium 1300
Florida
Registry
That book was adapted into the film Adaptation. Check it out after the read. Pretty bizarre and intense but also interesting, worth the watch... and takes place here in Florida.
rkbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Orchids are special and sensual, some are aromatic at night, some in daytime, others just look beautiful. At one time my wife had at least a dozen orchids in our house. We would go to look for unusual ones and visit many greenhouses in VT and NH years ago and always had a good chat with the growers. Also we looked for relief from the New England gloomy winters by going to the spring orchid shows. The supermarkets have the common ones cheap now, mostly thanks to cloning and propagation from cuttings. Some of them are high maintenance (e.g. keeping scale insects at bay and watching for sunburn) and eventually we reduced the numbers and she has a handful of the easy ones now. This one lived with us for decades, it was her mother's before and now it is her sister's, since we did not dare to move it 2000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030483.jpg   P1030484.jpg  

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
So... you had some kids, but they grew up and moved out, so you then got some orchids.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Florida
More Orchids

I'm rushing thru the Orchid Thief. This morning Ginny and I hit the road to Palmer's Orchid just west of our place in Florida. Ginny could have left me there for the day. It was an absolutely marvelous place.

Of course Ginny bought me a Valentine's present and now we have our vey own orchid, I assume the first of many. One advantage of orchids in Florida is when we're traveling we can put them outside and they'll mind themselves.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_114950.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	115773 My new Friend.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm rushing thru the Orchid Thief. This morning Ginny and I hit the road to Palmer's Orchid just west of our place in Florida. Ginny could have left me there for the day. It was an absolutely marvelous place.

Of course Ginny bought me a Valentine's present and now we have our vey own orchid, I assume the first of many. One advantage of orchids in Florida is when we're traveling we can put them outside and they'll mind themselves.
:I believe a lot of the street trees in Sacramento are these same flowers.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
seriously

so you guys think they are easy to grow I would like to see that? I think some of you have very green thumbs I have seen that before and the comment is oh it is soooo easy to grow them.

right???? I love your talent but its not ours!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #9

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I have had some luck. My Wife wonders why I Persist.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
orchids

Kenny do you sprout those award winning ones?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote