theft prevention - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #61

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I found the chain at a surplus store. It requires a cut off wheel to cut it.
Since portable electric 4" grinders have cut off wheels.... it won't stop a thief using one but it will stop one with just bolt cutters. And does require a brief burst of noise and sparks.

In a residential location this might be enough to deter a would be thief, in a storage lot where thief can wait for privacy not so much.

Having a second less obvious method to secure that "suprises" thief and forces an unexpected delay is a good strategy.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #62

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
At what point does taking reasonable precautions to prevent theft turn into paranoia ? My insurance agent (My daughter) informs me that I am not required to take any extraordinary steps to prevent theft such as alarms or cabling or adding any anti theft device beyond what was factory supplied
I pay for insurance to cover my loss in case of theft and do not feel the urge to apply 20 different locking devices every time I park my trailer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #63

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
We live in a wicked society which creates a paranoid society.

If we have insurance, a tongue lock is just because one doesn't want
to file a claim unless he has too. And it's not so much bother.
And it will keep friends and relatives from "borrowing" it.

If a thief wants it [whatever "it" is] the thief will get it.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #64

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
How many trailers have we heard about being stolen? Not very many, 2 last year from the same place.
Where were they stolen from, campground or storage? Storage.

How many people got struck by lightening? A lot more than had trailers stolen.

Is this then solutions looking for a problem?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #65

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Is this then solutions looking for a problem?
Are you new here? Obsession over what might happen is half the scarey fun.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #66

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Are you new here? Obsession over what might happen is half the scarey fun.
Ya! I'm aware.
Not only here most of the world or so it seems.

No let's see where did I put that tin foil hat?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #67

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
An open door may tempt a saint they say, but I think someone that steals a trailer by cutting a chain or hitch lock off is pretty much determined to steal it. Different situation than someone that picks up a camera or laptop left briefly unattended in a public place.

That said I think it is easy to go overboard in "solving" a problem that may not warrant or reward the effort.

I know someone could break into my house through a basement window, I drop a dowel in the track, and planted a nice big thorny rose bush in front of the window to make it less attractive and easy, then I pay my insurance every month. Hanging fish hooks on clear line just inside would be paranoid (plus illegal) unless it was to hang small painted parts to dry hmmm.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #68

NW Wisconsin
Tongue Lock / Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
We live in a wicked society which creates a paranoid society.

If we have insurance, a tongue lock is just because one doesn't want
to file a claim unless he has too. And it's not so much bother.
And it will keep friends and relatives from "borrowing" it.

If a thief wants it [whatever "it" is] the thief will get it.
I use a tongue lock because it is simple, easy and was supplied with our new trailer . I did not think about someone who would tow a $20,000 or $30,000 trailer without insurance. I would then be more concerned with the personal liability issues than theft. . If my trailer is stolen I know exactly how much money I will be out but If I cause an accident with injuries only God Knows
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #69

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I have an 8' wide 56' long front deck that I park our small stickie trailer on backwards. I pull it onto the deck with our tug, leaving just enough room to pull the tug ahead and back out. Then I take a trailer dolly and move it to the end of the deck where there is a steep drop off. And I hide the trailer dolly. Also, there is no way to easily get the trailer off the deck there, as the front lawn slope steeply up. Then we always have at least one car, if not two, parked at the other end of the deck where we can drive up.

While we do this primarily so guests (like our grown children) can stay in the trailer when visiting and have the door of the trailer facing the house, it has often occurred to me that the old stickie would be very difficult to steal.

Just a thought...

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #70

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

I use a tongue lock because it is simple, easy and was supplied with our new trailer . I did not think about someone who would tow a $20,000 or $30,000 trailer without insurance. I would then be more concerned with the personal liability issues than theft. . If my trailer is stolen I know exactly how much money I will be out but If I cause an accident with injuries only God Knows
At least in the states I've lived in, your vehicle insurance covers your trailer for liability. Any theft/damage/etc. is not.

Is it paranoid to lock it all up? Maybe. Do I want to try and find another one for the price and spend 9 months redoing it again? Hell no.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #71

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
At least in the states I've lived in, your vehicle insurance covers your trailer for liability. Any theft/damage/etc. is not.

Is it paranoid to lock it all up? Maybe. Do I want to try and find another one for the price and spend 9 months redoing it again? Hell no.
There are states that do not require you to have auto insurance of any kind (Wisconsin for one until recently) so liability coverage is not a given .If you wish to secure your trailer , do so in any fashion you desire ,it is your prerogative My cost for full coverage insurance on my trailer is less than $100 /Yr . I do not wish to wrap chains around my axle or cable my tires together or install a burglar alarm to avoid the remote possibility of theft . You have your rational for your behavior as I do mind . Based on statistic having an accident while towing has a much much higher probability than trailer theft . I use the same rational with lottery tickets
Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #72

Registry
What I do and what I see most people doing is:
Lock the hitch latch closed.
And/or one of the ball type locks, a couple are pictured in previous posts.

I see this in both the trailers parked in driveways and those in campgrounds. Cheap and simple way to keep honest people honest.

One other thing I end doing is always us my BAL Wheel Leveler to provide not only leveling but chocking duties. The chocking duties make it just a tad more difficult for move the trailer.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #73

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Talking

the fact that you've been diagnosed as being paranoid, doesn't mean your not being followed!

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #74
Gen

Name: Geneva
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I would think a good welder could duplicate this lock that Trimax sells.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #75

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
preventing theft

All these theft prevention ideas are good. But it really depends on your neighbourhood. Do you really need it is the question. It all depends where you park. At home I will use my garage when I get an egg. In garage because of bylaws, not allowed on driveway. But no matter what I would use a hitch/ball lock at least. And in storage maybe a chain through one tire in addition.

I was at a locksmith and he said there are almost unbreakable padlocks, only breakable with a welding torch (no bolt cutter or saw will work). Yes the price is $250 to $500 each as I remember, depending on choice, ouch.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #76

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I am thankful that I live in an area where the risk of my trailer being stolen is actually quite low, and that the risk of it being stolen can be managed quite comfortably with a hitch lock and some good insurance. I do not spend a lot of time worrying about this, as life is too short for that. I have a lot more important things to think about, such as where I am going on that next camping trip, and how much beer do I have to bring with me!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #77

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Hanging fish hooks on clear line just inside would be paranoid (plus illegal) unless it was to hang small painted parts to dry hmmm.
Great idea. I will keep a can of paint next to it and lay on done overspray on a backdrop.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote