theft prevention - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #71
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
At least in the states I've lived in, your vehicle insurance covers your trailer for liability. Any theft/damage/etc. is not.

Is it paranoid to lock it all up? Maybe. Do I want to try and find another one for the price and spend 9 months redoing it again? Hell no.
There are states that do not require you to have auto insurance of any kind (Wisconsin for one until recently) so liability coverage is not a given .If you wish to secure your trailer , do so in any fashion you desire ,it is your prerogative My cost for full coverage insurance on my trailer is less than $100 /Yr . I do not wish to wrap chains around my axle or cable my tires together or install a burglar alarm to avoid the remote possibility of theft . You have your rational for your behavior as I do mind . Based on statistic having an accident while towing has a much much higher probability than trailer theft . I use the same rational with lottery tickets

steve dunham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #72
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
What I do and what I see most people doing is:
Lock the hitch latch closed.
And/or one of the ball type locks, a couple are pictured in previous posts.

I see this in both the trailers parked in driveways and those in campgrounds. Cheap and simple way to keep honest people honest.

One other thing I end doing is always us my BAL Wheel Leveler to provide not only leveling but chocking duties. The chocking duties make it just a tad more difficult for move the trailer.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #73
Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia

the fact that you've been diagnosed as being paranoid, doesn't mean your not being followed!

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #74
Name: Geneva
Trailer: Casita
I would think a good welder could duplicate this lock that Trimax sells.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #75
Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
preventing theft

All these theft prevention ideas are good. But it really depends on your neighbourhood. Do you really need it is the question. It all depends where you park. At home I will use my garage when I get an egg. In garage because of bylaws, not allowed on driveway. But no matter what I would use a hitch/ball lock at least. And in storage maybe a chain through one tire in addition.

I was at a locksmith and he said there are almost unbreakable padlocks, only breakable with a welding torch (no bolt cutter or saw will work). Yes the price is $250 to $500 each as I remember, depending on choice, ouch.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #76
Name: Dave
Trailer: Escape
I am thankful that I live in an area where the risk of my trailer being stolen is actually quite low, and that the risk of it being stolen can be managed quite comfortably with a hitch lock and some good insurance. I do not spend a lot of time worrying about this, as life is too short for that. I have a lot more important things to think about, such as where I am going on that next camping trip, and how much beer do I have to bring with me!
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #77
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Hanging fish hooks on clear line just inside would be paranoid (plus illegal) unless it was to hang small painted parts to dry hmmm.
Great idea. I will keep a can of paint next to it and lay on done overspray on a backdrop.

Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote