theft prevention - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
  • Insurance with appraise/specified replacement value.
  • Lock on tongue to discourage "snatch and grab" thief.
  • Chain to solid object, if I was inclined I would dig a post hole, put cement and eye-bolt just below ground level so I could mow over it.
  • Lock wheels with chain or "boot".
  • Provide tracking device. Cell phone or GPS but bear in mind battery requirements.
  • Store out of sight, or with decent lighting and visibility.
  • Put a note or business card in a few locations inside stating that you are the current owner. Places a purchaser would look but not the thief. Might trip them up at resale when buyer is poking around in storage areas, or provide rapid on the scene proof of this being your trailer to law enforcement.
  • Position so it's not as easily hooked up to. You have all the time in the world to hook up at a sharp angle, thief wants to back up and go.
With a 4" battery powered cut off wheel one can go through pretty much any metal lock or chain. Noisy, creates sparks, but pretty darn quick.

Seems to me forcing thief to take time, and be exposed while committing the theft is the best one can hope for when it comes to discouraging theft. Having to cut off a hitch lock and a second chain or boot is more time and might be good idea.

You could also if so inclined take a 100 yard target out to the range, put about 5-10 shots through it (I suggest using wadcutters for nice clean holes) tape the used target in the window of the camper with the words "Think Honest" on it in black marker. It's sometimes the personal touch that gets through to people.
Puts my efforts of thinking of maybe starting to lock the tongue latch to shame. Methinks my stress level is likely much lower though, as I just get myself bothered to worry that much. Criminals probably like my type though. LOL
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #42

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
I'm glad it's not that way in Canada.
In our case there is the www.escapeforum.org that pretty much lists what the replacement value is by listing what other Escape trailer owners are buying and selling their trailers for.
Because Escape Trailers has sold many, if not most, of the mods to their customers there is also a paper trail as to those values. www.escapetrailer.com
Of course there will be a deductible but isn't this why we are told to read the fine print?
Do I put a lock on my trailer? Yes I do. Do I worry about it being stolen? No.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #43

Registry
[QUOTE=JDo I put a lock on my trailer? Yes I do. Do I worry about it being stolen? No.[/QUOTE]

Rebel!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Puts my efforts of thinking of maybe starting to lock the tongue latch to shame. Methinks my stress level is likely much lower though, as I just get myself bothered to worry that much. Criminals probably like my type though. LOL
I don't DO all that, it was a list of what had been suggested across several posts. My point was doing some or all of it won't stop a thief with a $100 portable grinder, only discourage them from trying, or increase the chance they get interrupted.

GPS or cell phone tracking offer a window of recovery, but that would depend on a bit of luck. I guess how attractive that option seems would depend on how custom your camper was. Or a willingness to pursue catching the blankity blank thief so they might learn from their errors. Gotta admit there is a certain special satisfaction that comes from seeing those folks get busted.

"Well officer despite what that fellow says the GPS tracking device on my stolen trailer indicates it's right there in his garage, does that count as probable cause to take a look-see?"

I go with insurance and a lock on the tongue latch. And I never ignore the fact that the dog thinks something out there is worth barking at. I go look.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #45

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Best theft protection I'm aware of RVs: 1989 scamp 13' must see paint job - Ocala, Florida
Old 08-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I don't DO all that, it was a list of what had been suggested across several posts.
So then, you are not as crazy as I thought you were?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #47

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillywilly View Post
I also like the idea of hard wiring a cell phone to the trailer battery. That's what I like about this group, so much good advice. I'm pulling out all the stops to make sure I get an Egg and I don't want somebody to just drive away with it. I go to sleep and wake up thinking about this Egg! My gosh, I've got it bad don't I?
That would also reboot a phone that hung up at some point.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #48
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree that if a thief wants your trailer there is nothing you can do. My theory is if you make it really difficult they will find an easier trailer to steal. My solution is to use the ball coupler lock and a lock on the latching lever

I also lock the wheels to the frame. I have welded anchor loops on the frame (you can see it just behind the wheel), I run a 3/8" coated cable through the wheel and the anchor loop and secure with a Master lock. With this my wheels are locked to the trailer so the wheels won't turn and they are not easily stolen.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #49

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Try a portable motion sensor alarm and mound in underneath the trailer,then if moved without disarming you'll get an alarm.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #50

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I just read where one member painted an ID number on the top of his trailer.
It can be spotted from the air in the event of theft. Unbeno'nced to the apprehender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That assumes that the cops have nothing better to do than fly a chopper around at $1,500 an hour, looking for a $6,000 trailer.
Depends on where you are Glenn. Most the major highways near me have lines painted on them for the cops to catch speeders, with appropriate warning signs. Around here all the police cars, taxi's and buses have their numbers on the roof. Not to mention there are news choppers, flying clubs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED View Post
Another way if you have electric brakes is to turn them on, but when battery dies you are sol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
And how long do you think the battery will last if you do this? I mean in minutes.........
Mitchell might be onto something there Thomas. Mod the idea a bit using a breakaway switch and the brakes can come on when the trailer is moved.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #51

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post

Mitchell might be onto something there Thomas. Mod the idea a bit using a breakaway switch and the breaks can come on when the trailer is moved.
That could work.....or could go horribly wrong.......my luck, the latter.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #52

Quote:
That could work.....or could go horribly wrong.......my luck, the latter.
You could manually switch the circuit from inside. Sort of like turning your home/office alarm on.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #53

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just buy insurance, anything else will not keep it from being put on a trailer and hauled away, if they want it they will get it.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #54

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just buy insurance, anything else will not keep it from being put on a trailer and hauled away, if they want it they will get it.
Amen.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #55

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yeah but don't forget the sage words of Kingfish...
"Yes suh Amos,Ya know the big print giveth and the fine print taketh away!"
If you buy theft insurance you'll never know if the premiums are just theft until you file a claim!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #56

Quote:
You could manually switch the circuit from inside. Sort of like turning your home/office alarm on.
I'll look for your patent.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #57

Quote:
I'll look for your patent.
Think A:B battery switch and either a hook onto a spoked wheel or tent peg or something heavy on the ground with a loop. For example I've got one of those huge wheel chocks meant for trucks to limit the trailer in its parking spot.
No patent required, I'm posting the idea and granting rights under the Creative Commons Public License CCPL
Wikipedia:Text of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Members are welcome to modify the idea under condition of posting for the betterment of all.

The idea is not foolproof but will thwart the hasty hook and haul humans.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #58

Quote:
Think A:B battery switch and either a hook onto a spoked wheel or tent peg or something heavy on the ground with a loop. For example I've got one of those huge wheel chocks meant for trucks to limit the trailer in its parking spot.
No patent required, I'm posting the idea and granting rights under the Creative Commons Public License CCPL
Wikipedia:Text of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Members are welcome to modify the idea under condition of posting for the betterment of all.

The idea is not foolproof but will thwart the hasty hook and haul humans.
I like it. Just use another breakaway switch underneath.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #59

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Jared, was just reading posts on securing our eggs. I have a SD17 and I'm not sure what you were saying as to a bumper pull trailer. Are you saying thru the wheels and up to the coupler? If so what kind of connection at the ball do you mean? Also where would I find the kind of high c chain you mention, don't think Home Depot carries high tech chain.
I'm not to concerned about theft were I live, a very small town in the desert but traveling would be different. Heck, I left the keys in the drivers door by accident for 30 days on my 3/4 t pu in plain view of the street. First time for everything but then who's going to steal a 460 ci at 7 mpg in todays world? Dave
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #60

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Through the wheels, and around the axle if you can. I used a separate piece of chain for each side. I also lightly ground the link on one end, so it could soon through the link on the other end, then put the padlock through. That way, you aren't relying on the strength of the padlock to hold it together.

I also wrap the safety chains around the tongue and padlock them so they can't be used to drag it off, and lastly, put a coupler lock on. There's not much you can do after that.

I found the chain at a surplus store. It requires a cut off wheel to cut it.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote