Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #15

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Andrew,
This response is going to be completely "Outside the Box" I'm retired now but at your age i too had good jobs etc but just didn't like it.... I liked to travel but i needed to make money and have medical....did not like sitting home. I started driving Semi's ( for big companies not gypsy outfits) you know those big sleeper type things with the long nose and the air horns that the kids on the side of the road always wanted you to whail on for them ( some of them are as big as these campers inside)...... I decided to do it and guess what! I got to see the country and made damn good money at the same time.... paid to travel.(downfall is your never home or to see your friends or your family later on if you get married) I figured i would do that til something better came along.....nothing did as i had the fever to travel (though later it became more local) and that's what got me to this forum. You can always quit if you don't like it and go back to a 9 to 5 and nothing lost...... the camper thing would be great but how do you pay your bills or cost of living?...... This is a tough decision your so young to be sleeping in someone's driveway....time passes fast
Joe

Real sound advice Joe something I almost did.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
We are planning to launch this year and are currently 37 and 33, me be the older and dumber. I recently left a really good job that paid very well with great benefits. The only thing that could make me happier now is to be full time already. Leaving that job was the second best decision we have ever made, I didn't realize how much it was affecting me... my perspective is much better. Your youth is a commodity, an asset and something you can never get back. Do what you want and what you need to do.

Here are a few things I'd like to share...

Every full timer I have spoken to says they wish they would have gone full time sooner. No one has encouraged us more than those who have decided to live life on different (not standard) terms. Money is man made, time is the real expenditure!

I met a really down to Earth guy last April. It was at a small freestyle white water kayaking event in NC. He was helping attendees with questions, boat sizing and adjustments for a particular boat brand. We got to talking which lead to me bringing up that we were planning to go full time. He lit up and shared his story of selling everything he owned and moving his wife and daughter into a camper. His job for a kayak maker allowed him to travel and work. Long story short he ultimately left that company and started his own kayak company while being full time. That company is now the largest white water kayak company in the world and he still spends at least 6 months each year on the road with his family attending and competing in events while running his company!

Now the existential in me... Each fall one of the trees in my backyard drops all of its leaves. I always notice about 99% of the leaves remain in my backyard but the remaining 1% is scattered amongst my front and the neighboring yards. For a leaf, it must have been some adventure to be the fringe.

-John

Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Retiring at 26 ?

At 26 and with only 8 years of work what are you retiring from ? I wanted to play pro baseball when I was a kid but then reality set in. I worked 2 or 3 jobs for 45 years averaging 60 to 70 hours a week . I recently retired and still teach night school in order to keep active . There is a joy and dignity in work and once I retired, vacations lost some of there thrill. When I was your age I begged for overtime but I guess to each his own.

Thanks Steve Dunham

My father once remarked that "When he was a kid , men who fished all day were called bums now there called professional fisherman
Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Road less traveled

Andrew and John, It's good to read about people that choose the road less traveled. I didn't recognize the possibilities of semi-fulltiming until a friend died.

I agree that most who have chosen to do this have only one regret, not choosing to do it sooner.

You might find interesting reading by the Petersen's who founded Escapees. Escapees.com has a book store with their books. Kay Petersen, trying to convince her husband to hit the road, wrapped his sandwiches in road maps. Finally he got the message..

Wishing you well in your choice...choosing to be different takes courage.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #19

Florida
Andrew,

I am obviously partial to the lifestyle you are considering and have some recommendations and suggestions.

Insurance is a big thing to us so we will be getting a high deductible plan and probably couple it with a Health Savings Account. Equally important is having some spare cash for your four-legged companion.

We live in North Florida which is like South Georgia so the heat is a big thing. If you camp at your friends while you sock money away you can fabricate a makeshift secondary roof over your camper. Think 4x4s with a silver tarp or a recycled tin shed roof, something like a tarp over a tent while camping. Don't rely on the A/C to keep your dog cool and see if your buddy will let them spend the day inside.

10k may not last long but there are many ways to save money. First, owe nothing when you leave. Auto and camper should be paid for. Boon docking will save you a lot but you may need solar to power basic needs. Build a spreadsheet and estimate what you think things will cost. Make sure to capture new incidentals like laundry, propane... anything that would change vs now. Once you start to form an idea of which camping style you'll be doing find and read as many blogs as you can from those who are already doing it. Email them questions, ask questions here and keep planning. We moved our date based solely on an amount of money we'd like to have before launching. If you decide to sell your house and mooch dock on your friends property think how many months of life on the road that overtime can fund. A couple of months work could give you a year, depending on your expenses.

I plan on moving a business into our camper to provide income while we travel but we are prepared to clean bathrooms if we have to. No job is less than any person and no person is above any job! You're already making ends meet so you'll be doing the same... just smaller ends.

There are others here that are already full timing or part timing but on this forum they are the minority. I'm going to dig-up a few sites/articles I think you'd find useful and PM you.

-John
Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
John- don't be stingy, I'd like to see whatever links you have to offer, also.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fulltimer info

The Escapees probably have the largest group of fulltimers in North AMerica. These are links to their forum on full timing. You should find their fulltimers forum paqrticularly interesting. Before we started I read their forum and books.

Hope these links help

http://www.escapees.com/Wannabes/Knowledge.asp

Escapees Discussion Forum

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #22

Florida
For all,

There are a couple of sites that I have found myself returning to. Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!! and Every_Miles_A_Memory

The first has a wealth of information including expenditures by month, quarter and year. It's by far the best financial break-out and reference I have found. Read their story and be sure to go through the frequently asked questions.
Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!!

The second is a site about a couple that full timed in a TT, not as easy to find as you would think. They have stopped to replenish their cash but plan to be back on the road soon, possibly this year. Another great story and information.
Every_Miles_A_Memory

An alternative to FG living is a van. Here's a site about a couple that, as of my last reading, were living in a RoadTrek. This site has many links to other van dweller blogs through Google Friends.
Vantramps

Blogs can also be located on the RV-Dreams forum.

-John
Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place.

......find a career, first that you enjoy and second that pays well. If you enjoy going to work then every day is a holiday. You want to know when it is all over that you contributed more to society than you consumed......

Bruce
Love your words here. You are a brilliant guy, Bruce. Your words are great advice for any young person, full-timer or otherwise. Life is all about choices, and responsibility.
And, a plan.
Sherry
Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #24

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Those are some. Interesting links. I have been living full time in an RV for over 14 years but not on the road. One can always learn!

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #25

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I am on year 4 in an RV. I am not as young as you, but am still considered young by "workamping" standards. At 53, I am still a pup in most of those guyz eyez.

Our circumstances are nearly identical. Single, mortgage, caught up in all the "stuff" and struggling to get by and keep it all. AND, sort of being pushed into the RV lifestyle by circumstance.

I don't update my blog very often, but here is a page I did that is short and to the point From Tumbleweeds To Tree Tops: Why?

As others have said, I wish I had done it sooner. Decades of my life were spent in someone elses idea of "acceptable" and it just was not working for me. I say..go for oit. It can be done.

My moto now is.. "Its not what you make, it's what you don't spend"

From Tumbleweeds To Tree Tops: All that wander are not homeless

As far as the rig, I live with a zoo and have to consider thier needs as well as mine. I started in a 17 foot Burro. Great for me, sucked for them (Not enough floorspace) Then I went to a 31 foot motorhome. Great for them, sucked for me ($$$, Floorplan, ability to live off grid, limitations in campspots). I then went back down to a 15 foot stickie I really enjoyed, (Great for them, Great for me!) but the infrastructure needed some improvements for fulltiming and I needed just a little more room and environmental control. Now I am in a 17ft Leocraft Fiberglass trailer with my dream floorplan, it has plenty of room for the herd, it is already set up for boondocking and despite the ton of work I need to do renovating it, I am very comfortable.

What you live in has no bearing on what you do for a living, only on how you live your personal life. Stay clean about yourself, all else will follow.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D.
I am on year 4 in an RV. I am not as young as you, but am still considered young by "workamping" standards. At 53, I am still a pup in most of those guyz eyez.

Our circumstances are nearly identical. Single, mortgage, caught up in all the "stuff" and struggling to get by and keep it all. AND, sort of being pushed into the RV lifestyle by circumstance.

I don't update my blog very often, but here is a page I did that is short and to the point From Tumbleweeds To Tree Tops: Why?

As others have said, I wish I had done it sooner. Decades of my life were spent in someone elses idea of "acceptable" and it just was not working for me. I say..go for oit. It can be done.

My moto now is.. "Its not what you make, it's what you don't spend"

From Tumbleweeds To Tree Tops: All that wander are not homeless

As far as the rig, I live with a zoo and have to consider thier needs as well as mine. I started in a 17 foot Burro. Great for me, sucked for them (Not enough floorspace) Then I went to a 31 foot motorhome. Great for them, sucked for me ($$$, Floorplan, ability to live off grid, limitations in campspots). I then went back down to a 15 foot stickie I really enjoyed, (Great for them, Great for me!) but the infrastructure needed some improvements for fulltiming and I needed just a little more room and environmental control. Now I am in a 17ft Leocraft Fiberglass trailer with my dream floorplan, it has plenty of room for the herd, it is already set up for boondocking and despite the ton of work I need to do renovating it, I am very comfortable.

What you live in has no bearing on what you do for a living, only on how you live your personal life. Stay clean about yourself, all else will follow.
Great blog posts, you should blog more often.

It took a great deal of reflection to get us where we are. We both never really agreed with the normal life plan but we went along not knowing or expecting anything different. We also don't have a need to leave a legacy which was the most freeing realization. Requiring less things leads to needing to work a paying job less which then frees up time for what you want or need to do. For some it is watching more TV, for others it is volunteer work like disaster relief or wildlife conservation and for others it is spending more time with family. None of those are wrong, just different choices. The traditional dream has conditioned us into believing we have to spend a lifetime in order to earn personal freedom during our golden years. That is no law, rule or requirement... It's societal and only has merit if you want it to.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #27

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
It's obvious to me that you need to convert your long term commitment (read: House) to an asset instead of a liability. Think of ways that it can generate the money to cover your commitment to the mortgage company. You don't need to live in it unless you wish to. Real estate will appreciate in value in years to come. The economy has tanked and from here on will grow slowly and become the investment nest egg that will help finance your retirement. To sell now may turn your down payment investment upside down (read:lose your money). Frederick L. Simpson sings the same song I do, I hope you can analyze the information and come to a plan to build your equity and still allow you the freedom you want.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #28

Name: Rob
Trailer: Scamp
California
Wish I had done this for a while back in my 20's when I had no real responsibility. Hope to do it in about 5 years. The posts on this have given me a lot of insight.
Thanks