Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
rob---i echo your sentiments 100000%.

theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
As Fred suggested, renting out a few empty bedrooms is always a good idea and right now more singles are owngrading from apartments to rooms. My s.o. and I both rent out extra bedrooms for retirement income and it works great.When we travel we give a small rent reduction to one of the tennants to watch the house and fix small problems. It has worked perfect for over 6 years, and we don't leave an empty house behind.

Depending on your current job, you may be able to get a self pay extension of your current medical, but it's not cheap.... If you can arrange to get layed off, COBRA is automatic, but still not cheap.

And, BTW, you have lucked out on interest rates. Back in the Daze of the "Great Communicator" mtg rates got up to 18%.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #31
Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
It's a good idea to rent rooms or the house entirely but taking a loss is not always a bad idea. Houses, especially when mortgaged over thirty years, aren't a good investment and should not be considered as such. When all costs are factored, including taxes, interest, repairs, insurance etc... It is usually a losing proposition. People take loses on houses all the time to move for that higher paying job. In a case of just wanting to change ones life, if breaking even on what is owed is acceptable then do it. Money spent is already gone, I for one don't focus on recouping every dime since I prefer to look forward and not stare in the past. If I am really bent from losing a certain amount then I'll do what it takes to earn it again and to hold on to it this time.

Since we're in the same situation I see the loss we take as the price to pay to get to go full time in our thirties. That's irrational and conceivably stupid but if someone approached me today and said I'll buy your house but you'd end up selling at fifteen grand less than you paid they'd have a set of keys in hand. If we wait until we can break even or worse, re-coup our investment, we'd be in our fifties at best. Ten or more years of our lives is far more valuable than feeling we did a good job with selling our house... each moment of each day is priceless in comparison.

John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
I would strongly suggest as have others that you plan your budget & stay as long as you can in your RV at your friends home. Two reasons money and experience.

It takes time to refine your RV set up and practices so that you will be really comfortable. What you need or don't need, where to keep it. Making morning coffee in our kitchen with the dog underfoot is a whole lot different than it is in our camper. Most of us have experienced the "why am I hauling this around" and "if I only brought my ____ this would be easy". Or my favorite "honey where am I supposed to put the laundry hamper you just bought for the camper". Give yourself some time to work out your own needs and system. Can I run 100% without electric hook up? And for how long? How fast do I go through water? You get the idea. What will you do on a hot day with your dog while you are at work? When I was on the road working I used to put a plastic bucket of ice down where the dog could sleep near it, and get a cold drink. Ice however is not free which brings me to my other reason, money.

Money equals freedom. Freedom from hunger, or cold, freedom to fix problems, and the freedom to go where you desire or need to go. The more money you can sock away the more options you will have. I might suggest a budget program called YNAB, it is well designed for intermittent income while still tracking expected expenses (budget) against actual expenses. Have a reserve fund that gives you enough to return to where you have family or friends as a support network plus a month worth of living expenses.

Last piece of financial advice I would offer is learn to be very frugal with your food menu. It's the one expense you can not escape. Speaking from experience I would rather have a bag of beans & rice than memories of a grilled steak when I'm hungry. And I sure don't want to have to choose between my eating enough or the dog eating enough.

Wife says get a Kindle, if you like to read. Many free books online or from the library. If the affordable care act for health insurance makes it through Supreme Court and Congress does not repeal it your basic health insurance would become fairly portable between jobs even in different states.

As to a career, I have had several and they all started with taking a job and learning that job to the point where I could advance in that trade or field. Some were planned in that I took classes, some just came about because I needed a paycheck. All have added something to my life and education about life. Since I was your age I have had at least four and liked something about all of them.

I might add building trades with unions maintain lists of jobs all over the country, I know an electrician who full times, finding and moving to a project when finances require it. Spends a lot of time boondocking on solar in Ariz. in the winter.
I also knew an auto plant worker who lived in his RV in the parking lot of the plant, kept his expenses low, worked as much overtime as he could and saved money for a few years. Bought his house for cash and last I knew was restoring motorcycles and cars in his garage as his dream job to cover expenses.

I would not expect Wal-Mart to let you live in the parking lot, and a lot of employers may not be thrilled with a "non-address application". Many that won't care are not going to be nice places to work.

As far as I know most National Forests are free to camping, some allow you to dump holding tanks IF you dig a hole deep enough to cover to a certain depth. YMMV.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote