Tow vehicle advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I know we've been focusing mostly on the "convertible" part of the OP's question, but re-reading her original post it appears that's a secondary (i.e., "nice to have") requirement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Hi ft gang. I am shopping for a new to me, so used, tug to use ft with my Boler 1300. I am planning on @ a 2000-2500lb range fully loaded. I would love to use a vehicle that is a convertible, for non towing fun transportation.

Of course I want one as fuel efficient as possible with storage space for things I can't store in the Boler. I plan to equip with solar power and propane appliances to minimize site rent by boondocking, no off road or fourwheeling.

I don't have a lot to spend, and hope to full time to cut expenses. Traveling with my large dog and senior cat.

I know I am expecting a lot, but mostly looking here for input from those with more experience in these areas, to help me make a good investment. Thanks.
The primary requirements appear to be:
  • Towing capacity 2000-2500 pounds, allowing for cargo in the TV
  • Low purchase cost: "don't have a lot to spend"
  • Good fuel economy: "fuel efficient as possible"
  • Low operating/maintenance costs: "full time to cut expenses"
  • Lots of storage for "things I can't store in the Boler"
  • Room for pets: "large dog and senior cat"
  • Suitable for some off-highway use: "minimize site rent by boondocking"

Sure sounds like a minivan or compact extended cab pickup with a cap to me. Since she expressed a preference for GM, I am wondering whether an Astro or Safari van might be worth considering. Might be hard to find a good used one, though.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #16

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
The new Subaru has the CVT transmission option AWD and 2.5L boxer engine lots of power and with the CVT transmission milage has been fixed.

We Tow with a Corolla, do not and have your projected weight limit, but a 17' boler; do not know how you will get it that heavy, lead in the bumper maybe?

Cars save a lot on gas over a truck and 4 cyl engines also save on fuel we are not talking about pulling a tank but a boler the original supper ultra light trailer.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sure sounds like a minivan or compact extended cab pickup with a cap to me. Since she expressed a preference for GM, I am wondering whether an Astro or Safari van might be worth considering. Might be hard to find a good used one, though.
An Astro would work but the truckie ride and big 6 is thirsty. A good used Honda or Sienna is just better is all respects. (except price, they cost more). Could she consider moving away from a GM???
Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Cars save a lot on gas over a truck and 4 cyl engines also save on fuel we are not talking about pulling a tank but a boler the original supper ultra light trailer.
LOL Things have changed a little. My V6 truck gets pretty only about 1mpg less than my Outback did towing....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I concur with Carol H.
Refer to post #8
I towed the same three 13'ers with both a GMC Sonoma (S-10) and a Honda CRV and, while the CRV was better on creature comforts, the Sonoma (and now my Blazer) were both better TV's, got within 1-2 MPG of each other and cost a TON less.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #20

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Attention Bob Miller: Perhaps a trip to your Ford dealer is in order...MUSTANGS are available in a number of models and engine sizes...a 5.0 Ltr V8 can tow a lot more than a V6. or a I4 engine can.

Mustang is not my idea of a tow vehicle...however if the young lady from the sunshine state wants to tow with a convertible a Mustang might be really cool!
(See pictures above)

Happy Camping!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
See here: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...tang_Sep30.pdf

The maximum towing capacity for all engine configurations is 1000 pounds, and the maximum frontal area is 12 sq. ft. Either limit rules out any fiberglass egg.

Unfortunately, that is typical for most of the passenger cars I have looked at, even those that use the same engine as another vehicle with a much higher rated towing capacity (e.g., Chevrolet Impala 3.6L, 1000 pounds, vs. Chevrolet Traverse 3.6L, 5200 pounds).

We can speculate what the reasons are, but that's what the ratings say.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #22
MC1

Ontario
Re Mustangs... The turbo I4 has 310HP at 320TQ

The V6 has 300HP at 280TQ

The V8 has 435HP at 400TQ

With a 3,500lb vehicle power is not an issue.

I understand the modern Mustang pictured above had the V6.

Realize we towed our 23' dual axle trailer with a 150HP/180TQ mini van.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #23

California
As Jon mentioned, and as shown on the Ford web site, and using the SAE J2807 method for 2015's, ALL 2014 & 2015 mustangs are limited to 1000 lbs towing weight and further limited to a towing frontal area of 12 sq.ft. !!! (Except the Shelby GT500 which is not rated to tow).

Engine size isn't always a guide to towing limits. As mentioned earlier, there are vehicles out there that will have a wide variety of towing limits even when using the same engine and transmission, while there are others with the same limits regardless of engine size.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #24
MC1

Ontario
Wasn't it Carol who suggested that when they test cars for towing they leave the parking brake engaged to reduce performance. That way they will sell more high profit pick ups. Makes sense.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #25

California
Internet Mythology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Wasn't it Carol who suggested that when they test cars for towing they leave the parking brake engaged to reduce performance. That way they will sell more high profit pick ups. Makes sense.

And that's how urban myths get started.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #26

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
I feel many towing limits are written by the legal department of the auto makers.
It is also easier to stick a 1,000 Lb limit on a vehicle and eliminate any real testing.
The 5.0 Ltr V8 has plenty of torque and ft lbs of muscle to handle way more than 1,000 lbs.

My choice for towing is always a heavy vehicle with a full frame...sure beats the tail wagging the dog!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Be careful...

One can go spec crazy.

Without looking it up for the Ford Escape, my recollection is that if you go by the frontal area spec you can't tow any fiberglass trailer. It's limited to 30 square feet, a Scamp is 56 square feet.

Oh heck I looked it up.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...cape_Sep30.pdf

I've been waiting for all the tow vehicle disaster reports on this forum. When I read what people tow our trailers with, it seems a very wide range of vehicles work well for most of our small trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #28

California
It's not all about pulling the load, it's more about stopping it and being able to handle it in an emergency situation. Add to that what the manufacturer considers the maximum strength of driveline and suspensions components, where the weakest component governs, as well as warranty liability and you can see why towing weights are getting more conservative/realistic (your choice)

In many states trailers up to 3000 lbs can be towed without trailer brakes and even a few only specify stopping distance's, rather than weight. The manufacturer has to take all of that into consideration.

And last, building to meet MPG goals often puts a lot of the vehicles components right at the edge, further reducing towing ability.

And actually implementing the SAE J2807 protocol will help level the playing field, without conspiracy theories abounding.