Tow vehicle advice - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
Tow vehicle advice

Hi ft gang. I am shopping for a new to me, so used, tug to use ft with my Boler 1300. I am planning on @ a 2000-2500lb range fully loaded. I would love to use a vehicle that is a convertible, for non towing fun transportation.

Of course I want one as fuel efficient as possible with storage space for things I can't store in the Boler. I plan to equip with solar power and propane appliances to minimize site rent by boondocking, no off road or fourwheeling.

I don't have a lot to spend, and hope to full time to cut expenses. Traveling with my large dog and senior cat.
I know I am expecting a lot, but mostly looking here for input from those with more experience in these areas, to help me make a good investment. Thanks.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 05-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How is a loaded Boler 1300 going to come out to 2000-2500 pounds? 1500-1800 pounds would be more typical. I'm not even sure if frame or axles could carry much over 2000 pounds. But perhaps you are looking for a vehicle with a tow rating in that range as an extra margin?

My personal favorite would be a Ford Mustang… but sadly, it's only rated for 1000 pounds, and the trunk is tiny. In general, convertibles and towing/cargo space are mutually exclusive options.

About the only tow-rated "convertible" that comes to mind is a Jeep Wrangler. I checked 2010 specs… looks like the 2-door can tow 2000 pounds and the 4-door 3500 pounds (didn't check if optional equipment is required to achieve those numbers). Poor highway driving dynamics, iffy reliability, limited storage, and lousy fuel economy, though.

If you let go of the convertible requirement, you have a ton of options. With only one person and animals, I'd personally look for a Toyota Tacoma extended cab pick-up. Simple, reliable, lots of storage, and most configurations would pull your Boler without breaking a sweat. More practical than "fun," but nothing will take the fun out of traveling faster than a breakdown in a strange place, so I rank reliability pretty high on my list of vehicle attributes. Comfortable seats are another essential, but that's bit more subjective.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #3

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I would think a mini van like Norm's with a sunroof would give you that top down open feeling, while also giving great mileage, storage, and good ride.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
How is a loaded Boler 1300 going to come out to 2000-2500 pounds? 1500-1800 pounds would be more typical. I'm not even sure if frame or axles could carry much over 2000 pounds.
Jon apparently the boler axle can carry over 2000 pounds (or at least for a time ) as there is a 13' Boler on the Real World Weight thread that weighed in at 2200 lbs loaded.

Agree though that it is more common for them to come in loaded at under 2000lbs. Unfortunately there are not a lot of Bolers on the Real World Weight thread but the Scamp 13' loaded weights would be a good comparable as they used the same mold.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If you can go back a few years, or up your $$$, there are a couple choices:

The Chevrolet SSR convertible hardtop pick-up will do the towing up to 2500 lbs and is a real date magnet. But a bit pricy.

The Dodge Dakota Convert pick-up with a rag top was built for 2-3 years about 1989, It's towing capacity seems to be between 2500 & 4000 lbs depending on engine and rear axle ratios. These show up on eBay and, because they are collectable are sometimes a bit pricy, but not as much as the SSR
Old 05-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #6

California
Notthesamething

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I would think a mini van like Norm's with a sunroof would give you that top down open feeling, while also giving great mileage, storage, and good ride.
Dave & Paula

I have had a number of converts over the years, 2 Corvettes, several Dune buggies, and a Maserati.

I have a factory sliding sunroof in my 2003 Blazer TV and, believe me, it's not the same, you are still just sitting inside a box with a hole in the roof. You can't see anymore with it open than closed. With a retractable top down, you have a 360 degree horizontal, and 180 degree vertical field of view.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
Thanks for the input, keep it coming. I figured on the higher weight considering what I would be carrying in the TV. I could give up the ragtop, since I'll be living outside anyway, chuckle. I just thought it would be fun since I've never had one. Then again, since I'm be a snowbird, being comfortable in ac is a consideration. I'll take a look at vans, the Tacoma, although I am partial to the Chevy s10 with a 6cyl.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 05-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #8

California
I had a 2003 GMC Sonoma (S10) 4 cylinder extended cab pick-up that I bought new and kept for 10 years & 155,000 miles, and it towed any of the thee 13' FGRV's we had, a Scamp, a Lil' Bigfoot and my Hunter Compact-II, all without problems.

I liked it so well that I replaced it with an ultra low mileage 2003 S-10 Blazer, 2dr w/ the V6 and a 5 speed. (see my pic, upper left) It can tow a lot more than the Sonoma (2000 v. 5500 lbs, but it is a delight for a TV, even if the mpg's did suffer a tad from the bigger engine.

I'd recommend either one for your Boler... BUT .... Finding one in decent shape and low mileage can be very, very difficult. It took me well over a year to find the Blazer, but my Sonoma sold in an hour to the first person that called on my Craigslist ad. While it's mileage was a bit high at 155,000, it had always had synthetic oil and it was as clean as the proverbial pin.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Hi Lisa, did you look over the spreadsheet? Go to the end of the thread and look for the latest iteration of the list posted by Norm.

Tow Vehicle & Trailer combos - POST INFO
Old 05-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Hi ft gang. I am shopping for a new to me, so used, tug to use ft with my Boler 1300. I am planning on @ a 2000-2500lb range fully loaded. I would love to use a vehicle that is a convertible, for non towing fun transportation.
Good day Lisa.... I like Dave's idea about a Mini Van with a sun roof. Very practical for your needs with traveling and pets. An SSR would work to but the big engine would use a lot of fuel.

Your idea about a rag top is possible too. Many are out there towing trailers.

I have a pic of a 55 T-Bird and a Mercedes 190SL both towing a travel trailer. Also here are a couple pics of Mustangs that were set up for towing. Note a custom hitch and set up may be required in some cases.

Hope you come up with something interesting. Those glass egg trailers are pretty light so there may be a lot of options.
Attached Thumbnails
mustang 6 egg.JPG   mustang 6 trailer.JPG  

Old 05-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Somehow the subject got changed and the idea of a pick up truck was added...not too many pickup convertibles out there! If you go that way the Toyota V6 with automatic is rated at 5,000 lbs. Towing capacity in a Tacoma...higher rated than a Chevy S10.... Way more reliable...read consumer reports magazine about that.................Thinking outside the box....check out the towing capacity of a Toyota V-6 Solara which is a 2 door Camry...they make this vehicle in a convertible format and it just might qualify to tow more than you need....very reliable and sexy too!

If you don't mind burning some gas go for a 5.0 Ltr. V-8. MUSTANG Convertible!...awesome and sexy! Wayne (MC1) even has a picture above showing the Mustang tow combo!
Picture yourself in that rig driving down A1A in the sunshine state!!!

"Life is short...write the check and go!"

Happy Camping
Old 05-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #12

California
Contrary to what's shown in the pics, I believe that it was already mentioned that the current Mustang's have a towing limit of 1000 lbs!
End of discussion.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #13
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
"Life is short...write the check and go!"

Happy Camping
Pat, you have inspired my sometimes conservative nature! Nice Quote.

Maybe now I'll go out and look for that BMW X5 I've always wanted.....LOL
Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #14

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Convertible TV

I used to own a Fiat Spyder. While it was a fun vehicle, I quickly found that convertibles are not as much fun as I first envisioned.
On hot, sunny days, you drive with the top up in traffic unless you want to be bar-b-qued in your own vehicle.
When driving with the top down, you get a draft on the back of your neck, so fast driving is not a good idea either.
Storage space is virtually non-existent in a convertible because the driving idea behind the body style is style, not utility.
We found that our Subaru Outback with a sun roof to be an ideal vehicle. One can drive with the roof open and get fresh air without drafts. There is lots of storage space, not as much as a van, admittedly, but sufficient. Plus the later model Outbacks also have a back up camera with the sun roof which is wonderful for hitching.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote