Traveling masseuse? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Traveling masseuse?

We have been kicking around the idea of full timing for awhile. My wife has a very busy massage practice and can stay as busy as her hands allow, sometimes up to 5-6 a day. She built this through word of mouth and by getting incredible results.

I am wondering how well this might work on the road. Usually you need time to build up clients. Jumping around and looking for people wanting a massage might not work, or would it?

I'd like your take on this and have some questions:

Have you seen something like this in your travels?

Would you consider using someone doing this on the road?

Can you go into rv parks and promote your service?

We would likely carry an easy up with side walls to use as the space.

What range would you consider paying?

Thanks
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Some answers: (In same order as the questions) 1. Only in truck stops., 2. No ,3. I doubt it, isn't that a licensed business in most states? 4. See #2.
That said, there is a cadre of people that thrive on receiving massage services. I have a friend that can't go more than 2-3 days without a full body or a foot massage.
Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
There are coin-operated massage chairs in malls. I recently saw a couple giving massages in a mall. They were set up at one of those small kiosks in the middle of the aisle. They were busy.
And I would avail myself of your service if we cross paths.
Your biggest problem will likely be with setting up and operating a "business" in Gov't parks and private campgrounds. I have tried it with hiking staffs, walking sticks and survival bracelets. It is frowned upon.
However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. You need to set up a trial run to test your plan. Good luck and keep us posted.
Scouter Dave, with the aching back and arthritic joints.....
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomfritz View Post
Usually you need time to build up clients. Jumping around and looking for people wanting a massage might not work, or would it?

Have you seen something like this in your travels?

Would you consider using someone doing this on the road?

Can you go into rv parks and promote your service?

We would likely carry an easy up with side walls to use as the space.

What range would you consider paying?
My partner Robert also has a massage therapy practice that he operates out of a room in our home. He had offered massages once at the Oregon Gathering. There may be several issues you need to deal with:
  • Oregon State Parks forbid business transactions within their campgrounds. Robert had to offer his massages free while there.
  • An ugly reality is this may be looked upon with suspicion by police vice squads. Are you licensed? Could you provide credentials? Would they be valid in other states?
  • We have a 10' x 10' ezi-up that Robert has used at private Retreats. He feels it is too small. His room in the house is 12' x 12'.
  • Robert's standard rate is $60 per hour, but he discounts for a lot of his immune-suppressed clients and does pro-bono work for those on Medicaid. His full-fare clients are not on budgets.
  • Have you considered "outcall" service to Motorhomes with slide-outs that might have room to set up a table inside the RV?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
As others have said regarding the legal / insurance issues.

Have you considered renting " vendor stall" spaces at various sports events? Marathons, tournaments, shows etc?

Yes I've done it. A donation was made to a charitable organization in return for some pro bono services.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #6

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I've seen chair massage and the like at music festivals. Sounds like a fantastic way to make a living if you like to be at festivals.

But massage especially, even if legit massage has gotten a lot more popular in recent years, is often regulated in localities. So advertising it, like with a sign or banner on your rig might lead to legal issues in some places. Fully clothed chair massage done in public might not face the regulations as "private, just got a towel on" massage for obvious reasons.

I happen to know a bunch of therapists and building a business does seem to hing on word of mouth in a community, so I think doing on the road would be challenging. But I'd love to hear how it works out if you try it!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
JCZ

Name: JC
Trailer: My Pod by Little Guy
Arizona
My wife and I would both be on board for a massage. The overhead wouldn't be the same, so I'd not expect to pay what we pay at a resort.
I do know of a campground that offers a massage under a large tree at the edge of the river, right here in Nor Cal.......we'll be there in a couple of weeks and look forward to our massage.

Spa Services at Klamath River Resort Inn - Massages in Happy Camp
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #8

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Thank you all for the responses! It gives us something to think about. Unfortunately though a wonderful alternative healing method it has gotten a bit of a slimy reputation, but it's slowly changing for the better My wife refused to work in certain areas that required she was tested and paid an "entertainment tax".

The festival thing sounds like something to look into. We could do chair or table massages.
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Then there are the health shows, old age shows, fitness shows ... whatever they can fit into a fairground or convention center.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I think you would be better off looking for temp employment in seasonal areas (which word of mouth isn't as essential for building a clientel or making a living). What will hinder you is, the State Lic board.

And as far as private campgrounds and rv parks, more than likely they won't allow it, due to insurance issues. They allow you to do business and someone comes back on them . Personally, I get a massage often, before Dh health issue I got one at least once a month, if not twice. Actually have my own table cause we got them so often. I probably prefer to go to a spa or local business when visiting an area, rather than a fellow camper. Just me, something I am use to. I have worked in the industry for 30 years so it's just what I am use to and comfortable with.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #11

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Another thing you may want to consider is the overwhelming intolerance to trailers in urban areas. I've been trying to visit friends in cities and the difficulties of finding a place to park are beginning to turn me off to full-timing. Even when a friend has the space for me and is willing, HOA's and neighbors start complaining within 48 hours. I end up in Walmart mostly, and I'm finding more and more of those with No Overnight Parking signs. In Wisconsin, all the Walmarts were inhospitable and I literally could not find a free or cheap place to legitimately stay within 50 miles of Madison or Milwaukee. The only places to stay without going blackout/stealth are basically National Forests, Grasslands and BLM lands, and select Walmart parking lots. If I stayed in paid campgrounds and went exactly where I wanted, I'd probably be looking at nearly $1000/mo in parking space rent.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I was on the road doing construction , several times I saw trailers move into the area advertised as " massage parlors" .Within a week the local sheriff would come around and close them down . It was not because they had unlicensed masseuses ! I am sure you are on the up and up but others may not see it the same way .

Ken I believe Wisconsin has a law against parking lots being used as a campgrounds without a permit at least that is what I have been told .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Have seen a growth in "chair massage" in this area. At a couple of festivals and art fairs a booth was set up. Not much privacy but the person in the chair did not seem to mind. We had someone come to our office for an afternoon and people could sign up for a chair massage.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote