Uptown Houston TX FT RV Parks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Uptown Houston TX FT RV Parks?

Any suggestions on RV Parks near "Uptown", where US59 and and US610 cross? I would need something open year round, with internet access, and HOPEFULLY a tornado shelter.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It's been five years since we lived in far west Houston, but I always thought Uptown was near the Galleria, closer to I-10 and 610. I might be wrong, but if 59/610 is more near the NE where I think it is, it's not a good area of town! Also, I can't think of a single RV park within the 610 loop or near the Galleria, but I never actually looked. There is a popular one north up 290 from 610, maybe 20 mins. from the Galleria on a good day. I think it's near the N. Eldridge Pkwy exit and called Traders Village. I heard it was nice and safe but pricey.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Okay, I'm an idiot. I forgot that 59 intersects TWICE with 610 since it's a loop, and one spot is south of the Galleria. Duh! I just Googled " rv parks houston tx" and saw three parks pretty close. Maybe someone who knows that area can comment on it.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #4

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
Okay, I'm an idiot. I forgot that 59 intersects TWICE with 610 since it's a loop, and one spot is south of the Galleria. Duh! I just Googled " rv parks houston tx" and saw three parks pretty close. Maybe someone who knows that area can comment on it.
Yes, the SW cross-over is the one I saw. I see some places West, which I think would be okay. Maybe once I am there, it will be easier to find a good place.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
A quick look on RVPark Reviews shows this park "near" 610 and 59 in SW Houston.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would pull up some "crime" maps for the areas you are considering and see what goes on in the surrounding area. Bigger towns can land you in an undesirable area pretty quick if you aren't familiar with the town.

Here is an example of what I am talking about: http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/b...beat_stats.htm Should be reliable since it a "gov" site.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Getting Real.....

Gotta mention that finding any RV/trailer parks inside major cities is getting very difficult, and finding one in the "Better" part of down and affordable is even tougher.

For example, of the three RV parks near San Francisco, two have horrible ratings, one is in a warehouse area, the other is a 60+ y.o. trailer park that's 8 miles from the city limits, and the third is 10 miles out of town. All cost $65 to $85 a night.

Hopefully Houston will prove to be different.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #8

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Per Cathy P: "Bigger towns can land you in an undesirable area pretty quick if you aren't familiar with the town."

I had a brand new vehicle stolen in Houston a few years back. When I got back someone asked me if I was in a bad part of town. The truth is if you are by a loop, the bad part of town can easily come to you, which was true in my case.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

Iowa
Do RV parks near Houston tend to have tornado shelters? I bought 2 weather radios, a base unit, and a hand-held, so I should know when bad weather is approaching. I plan to have a series of "safe houses" where I can hide if there is bad weather. My workplace will be tornado-proof, but the communte accross SW Houston and the RV park itself will be exposed to potentially bad weather. If I can find a few places that I know are safe, I can drive to one when there is a Tornado Watch. I'd proobably go to them if there was even a Seven Thunder Storm watch.

My Casita weights about 2500lbs, and I expect it would blow around like a ping-pong ball if there were high-winds. I want to take ZERO chances with tornadoes. I will also have 2-3 days worth of clothes in my truck, in case I have to hide at a hotel overnight.

It would be nice if the RV park(s) had a safe building to go to, in case of bad weather.