Want to full time, and have some questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #15

Name: Nathaniel
Trailer: shopping
Virginia
Thanks everyone

Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for the helpful comments, I'm haven't been on for awhile because I'm working on Checking out of the command I'm with and heading back to a sea command. I went and looked at a Casita last weekend at its a great little trailer, definitely on my short list, now just have to see the takena and the Escape. Well I'm sure I will have more questions. Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I only have one complaint about MOST of these terrific small trailers and that's a really comfortable place to sit for more than 30 minutes at a time. Being outside in a Lafuma lounge chair is only workable in half-way decent weather. When it's time for me to buy my next trailer, I will want a full-time bed and a nice place to sit. Living in the Pacific NorthWET, loving to read, put together puzzles and being "on" the computer.... I'm going to figure out a way to shoe-horn a really comfortable chair into my living space. Maybe a dinette (only I want mine in the rear) like this: Per Walthinsen's solution.

YMMV

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You go girl. lol
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #18

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Southern Alberta
Once you see the 19 Escape and talk to Reace and Tammy you will be hooked....
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #19

Name: Nick
Trailer: 2012 Lance 1885
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I only have one complaint about MOST of these terrific small trailers and that's a really comfortable place to sit for more than 30 minutes at a time. Being outside in a Lafuma lounge chair is only workable in half-way decent weather. When it's time for me to buy my next trailer, I will want a full-time bed and a nice place to sit. Living in the Pacific NorthWET, loving to read, put together puzzles and being "on" the computer.... I'm going to figure out a way to shoe-horn a really comfortable chair into my living space. Maybe a dinette (only I want mine in the rear) like this: Per Walthinsen's solution.

YMMV
I will miss my recliner for sure but since I now sit for hours on end at my computer on a wood straight back chair I may be okay. Hmmm.... Nah. I'll still miss my reclliner. Maybe I'll have to rethink this full-timing bit.... Nah, can't do that either. I'll suffer through and find a suitable alternative.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I only have one complaint about MOST of these terrific small trailers and that's a really comfortable place to sit for more than 30 minutes at a time.
YMMV

I agree. That is why when we decided we were going to "1/3 time" in the winter we decided on the gaucho instead of a permanent bed. The great thing about the gaucho (which becomes a bed) is that you can pull out the seat however much you want to angle the back however much you want to suit your comfort. Making up the beds each night is no problem for us as we use our homemade "cowboy-bed-roles" which role out and role up and store in a couple of minutes. The Taylor Coaches from 14 ft on up come with a gaucho and dinette. We found no other small trailer with this floor plan combination.

Cheers John
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
I agree. That is why when we decided we were going to "1/3 time" in the winter we decided on the gaucho instead of a permanent bed. The great thing about the gaucho (which becomes a bed) is that you can pull out the seat however much you want to angle the back however much you want to suit your comfort. Making up the beds each night is no problem for us as we use our homemade "cowboy-bed-roles" which role out and role up and store in a couple of minutes. The Taylor Coaches from 14 ft on up come with a gaucho and dinette. We found no other small trailer with this floor plan combination.

Cheers John

John
One has to remember that most people here have "molded fiberglass" trailers. There's usually a big difference between a molded fiberglass trailer and a "sticky". I believe Taylor Coach is a sticky.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
John
One has to remember that most people here have "molded fiberglass" trailers. There's usually a big difference between a molded fiberglass trailer and a "sticky". I believe Taylor Coach is a sticky.
You are right. I do not mean to offend. I did not assume the original post was only interested in fiberglass trailers.

I have looked for rules on this forum concerned with talking about other kinds of trailers and have not found them. If they exist I would like to read them so I can post in accordance with them. The reason I registered here and really like fiberglassrv.com is because I really appreciate small, light weight trailers of any design and construction.

Cheers John
Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
John
One has to remember that most people here have "molded fiberglass" trailers.
Quote:
I did not assume the original post was only interested in fiberglass trailers.

I have looked for rules on this forum concerned with talking about other kinds of trailers and have not found them. If they exist I would like to read them so I can post in accordance with them.
Community Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Community Rules
This is a community of individuals who share a common interest in molded fiberglass travel trailers. Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand.
There are no specific spelled-out rules prohibiting discussion of "SOB's." (Some Other Brands) We do not prohibit membership of persons who own them. However narrow, our focus is on a specific type of Travel Trailer which takes some adjustment for both casual readers and ardent supporters alike.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #24

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb

Quote:
I agree. That is why when we decided we were going to "1/3 time" in the winter we decided on the gaucho instead of a permanent bed.

The Taylor Coaches from 14 ft on up come with a gaucho and dinette. We found no other small trailer with this floor plan combination.
Actually, the 17' Boler and the 17.5' Bigfoot both have this configuration.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Community Rules

There are no specific spelled-out rules prohibiting discussion of "SOB's." (Some Other Brands) We do not prohibit membership of persons who own them. However narrow, our focus is on a specific type of Travel Trailer which takes some adjustment for both casual readers and ardent supporters alike.
When I first registered I did not find the "Community Rules" you have posted...(I still can't find where they are.) However, I had found, when I first registered, the info below titled "Forum Rules" under the Forum Admin, News, & Announcements section.

Although the administrators and moderators of Fiberglass RV will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Fiberglass RV, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
The owners of Fiberglass RV reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

I have certainly tried to abide by these rules. I also believe that I have tried to abide by the idea expressed in the "Community Rules" as stated in your post:

This is a community of individuals who share a common interest in molded fiberglass travel trailers. Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand.

The reason I decided it might be OK to described my trailer goes back to some of the wording in the original post: "looking at trailers" "small is better" "recommendations on ...trailers" "any info." If the post had not sounded so general -- even though he certainly made reference to fiberglass trailers, but seemed not to be only interested in fiberglass trailers -- I absolutely agree that it would have been inappropriate for me to mention my trailer. That said, I will be even more hesitant to mention my trailer in the future. I have no problem with this. I like this forum much too much to get kicked off.

Cheers John

PS I just found the Community Rules!
PPS When we bought I had not heard of Boler and Bigfoot was too heavy.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Mrs. 2yax,

Just a comment on item #4:

I have Window Maxx louvre's on my sliders. They allow the windows to be cracked about 4 inches, are a smoke color which you can see through and they don't really block the window ventilation or the view.

I can see stars nicely out mine.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #27

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
When I first registered I did not find the "Community Rules" you have posted...(I still can't find where they are.) However, I had found, when I first registered, the info below titled "Forum Rules" under the Forum Admin, News, & Announcements section.

Although the administrators and moderators of Fiberglass RV will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Fiberglass RV, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
The owners of Fiberglass RV reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

I have certainly tried to abide by these rules. I also believe that I have tried to abide by the idea expressed in the "Community Rules" as stated in your post:

The reason I decided it might be OK to described my trailer goes back to some of the wording in the original post: "looking at trailers" "small is better" "recommendations on ...trailers" "any info." If the post had not sounded so general -- even though he certainly made reference to fiberglass trailers, but seemed not to be only interested in fiberglass trailers -- I absolutely agree that it would have been inappropriate for me to mention my trailer. That said, I will be even more hesitant to mention my trailer in the future. I have no problem with this. I like this forum much too much to get kicked off.

Cheers John

PS I just found the Community Rules!
PPS When we bought I had not heard of Boler and Bigfoot was too heavy.
My intention was to point out that many of the responses you'll get to questions won't apply to your trailer, but rather to a fiberglass trailer. There's confusion between different models of the same trailer right here in river city so it would even worse for non-molded fiberglass trailer. That was simply meant to be a heads up.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #28

Name: Gord
Trailer: Escape 17b
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Lacy View Post
Hey everyone, my wife and I are thinking about full timing as soon as I get out of the Navy. We just started looking at trailers, and I was going to go bigger but between my Tow Vehicle a 2010 Tacoma V-6 and where we want to travel" north and south America" I think smaller is better. So I'm curious is there any fiberglass trailers with a dedicated bed,besides the Escape 19 and if no is there a good layout that lends the dining area to be left as a full time bed? I think it might be a pain having to make a bed every night. Its just going to be me my wife and a 60# Lab. Also are there and recommendations on what I should look at in trailers that may be different from what a non full timer would need. We are going to look at a 17 ft casita spirit this morning. Well I appreciate any info you would be willing to share. Thanks Nate

First: BEWARE OF HIJACKERS

If you are even dreaming of pulling your egg into South America there are probably several trailerability factors to consider before limiting trailer selection by interior layout.

Consider: suspension (think really big potholes in roads ), maximal water resistance of the shell (rivets or non-rivet construction ), length of unit (smaller is better for manueverability, bigger is better to carry supplies and gear ), maximal off-grid capability (S. America as the ultimate boondock expedition ), ability to load and unload entire unit from non-ferry cargo ships (Darien Gap issues ).

The Tacoma can be nicely outfitted as an expedition rig. I would suggest the Escape 17 as the TT and get the company to make custom modification to accomodate your dream.