Want to full time but single female. Is it safe? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #71

Name: Mary
Trailer: Looking....
Tx
Chef on a bike... By any chance did he have a sidecar with a dog wearing motorcycle goggles?
Just curious...

Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #72

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Bears go for Marmonts all the time and their whistle is loud only making the bears want them more, use a bell to keep bears away from you, I have bells attached to me when I'm walking around in bear country and have never yet been bothered by them. They hear me coming and move away so I never see them. We lived in Grizzly country for a few years where they came into the yard at times for different products growing around our property that we thought were just weeds but the Bears loved the stuff, so in the end we just left it for them and got some neat pictures.
stude
The trick with the bells is well known and in fact it is one of the clues that professional trackers use to determine if they are seeing poop from a black bear or a grizzly. The grizzly poop is usually a lot bigger and has lots of little bells in it.

Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:08 AM   #73

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashdragon View Post
Chef on a bike... By any chance did he have a sidecar with a dog wearing motorcycle goggles?
Just curious...
oooh, if that bike-with-sidecar was a BMW, ahh, I think I've met him a few times at motorcycle ride-n-camps, heh. I used to ride my BMW quite a lot around the west coast, although I never ventured much farther east than Nevada or Arizona...

Man, I'm not remembering the name (this was about 10 years ago), but he was a celebrity caterer, but got sick of that all and went on the road pretty much full time. his dog was a brindle pit. we bought a bunch of basic groceries and provided him with some extra cooking gear (cribbed from our various travel kits) and he threw together an awesome meal for about 20 of us

ahhh, googled a few keywords, and bingo, Ara and Spirit (his dog), The Oasis Of My Soul ยป Ara and Spirit: Life Under the Stars
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:17 AM   #74

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin2 View Post
The grizzly poop is usually a lot bigger and has lots of little bells in it.
John, being I live in coyote and snake country you had me going....until the last line .
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:05 AM   #75

California
Registry
around these parts i'm more afraid of mountain lions than bears.

this is right behind my bedroom, just outside our back fence. the fence he jumps at the end is 6' tall.

https://youtu.be/1IryUGoFKBU
Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #76

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
This has become a discussion about being "on the menu".
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #77

Trailer: 2015 Oliver 23, Ram Cummins
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
around these parts i'm more afraid of mountain lions than bears.

this is right behind my bedroom, just outside our back fence. the fence he jumps at the end is 6' tall.

https://youtu.be/1IryUGoFKBU
John,

I noticed that cat is tagged and looks like it has a transmitter. Do they leave some of them alone that seem to pose no threat? Around here we have a lot of bears and they can show up on the trails, or in the yard in front of the house. Some are just "neighbors" and some become a nuisance and must be re-located. Seems like it would be tricky to trust a cat and predict it was safe to have in the area.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #78

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
John,

I noticed that cat is tagged and looks like it has a transmitter. Do they leave some of them alone that seem to pose no threat? Around here we have a lot of bears and they can show up on the trails, or in the yard in front of the house. Some are just "neighbors" and some become a nuisance and must be re-located. Seems like it would be tricky to trust a cat and predict it was safe to have in the area.
The Santa Cruz Puma Project tags them and tracks them in the area. its amazing how far they range. the one in my vid was a young male, about 88 lbs, and was tagged between my first sighting and 2nd, jumped the fence in that same spot a couple times, trying to get to our goats. after a few weeks, he wandered off to a different part of the county and we never saw him again. the trackers stay on around 6 months then drop off. You can follow his meanderings on this, Puma Tracker | Santa Cruz Puma Project select '77M' on the right, then move the slider along the top
Old 12-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #79

Name: Mary
Trailer: Looking....
Tx
Yup, thats Ara. Spirit was the pup's name.
Really cool guy. Taught me how to roast coffee.
Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #80

Name: Jen
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
I believe it is safe, but you should always practice caution. Make sure you have the best lock system in place to keep yourself safe and it never hurts to carry some type of protection, at least pepper spray. This site helped us choose the lock for our RV and I feel much safer being alone when my husband runs errands or goes fishing.

https://campingmoz.com/best-rv-door-lock/

Jscott285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female, safety, solo