Want to mostly full time in a 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Name: Janelle & Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb Want to mostly full time in a 13' Scamp

We are thinking of spending anywhere from 6 to 10 months a year in our Scamp in a couple of years. We have wondered if the 13' will be big enough but have a couple of years to test it out as we have to sell our house in this market and find a different home base. If we "upgrade" if you want to call it that, the Lil' Snoozy comes to mind as well as the Casita 17. We were thinking of putting everything we might need for a small home base in storage, then spend at least a month or two in several different places to get the feel of the neighborhood. Has anyone else done it this way? We can't stay where we are and spend that much time away, too much property to take care of an too hard to come and go in the winter. Thanks.

Jerry & Janelle
Jerry-Janelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Thumbs up Full time, part of the time

I am looking forward to reading this thread. I am not planning on that long a time away but Nov. - Mar. at least, in a Trillium 13".
Fortunately [or unfortunately] I am now in an apartment and if I can get someone to take the plants, I can just drive away and head south.
My rig is not the prettiest but it will do for now and updgrades will come later.
Sometimes, taking that first step [or driving that first mile] is the hardest but I hope I have the courage to do it.
Talk to us people, we need some advice and reassurance...
Thanks.
Scouter Dave
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I love full timing in my 13' Scamp, but I'm single. And I'm often running out of space. I would not want to full time in a 13' Scamp with another person. Maybe with a huge TV with plenty of room to store things, but personal space aside I never have enough room for my stuff.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Last winter we did 4 weeks in our CT13 Uhaul. After we settle into a campground where we are going to stay for awhile we set up our Eureka Northern Breeze screen room. It has flaps to close it in, we can heat it, set up chairs, camp stove, dorm fridge, and lights. It gives us additional room besides the camper. In the trailer we have heat and a TV, 110 and 12 volt lights. It worked so good for us that next winter we are going south for three months.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #5

British Columbia
I'm thinking if I want to keep full timing, I'll probably upgrade to a 16' and a big (for Subarus) Subaru Legacy/Outback wagon for my TV.

Problem with that is I love my 13 so much and I'm currently putting enough time and money into it that I won't ever want to let it go. Now if I get a girlfriend/wife with her own trailer, that might be perfect! We could hang out together and still have our own space! Double the petrol bills, but ya can't have everything.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

Name: Ann
Trailer: Dreaming of my own egg
Texas
Hi I was wondering about wind gusts and how your little scamp holds up? I would like to full time in a 16 ft fulltime yearround in Fl. I know Florida gets some pretty high gusts so I'm wondering about how stable they are? Any insights?
Anndm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

British Columbia
I spent the winter at 7000ft in the mountains above Albuquerque, saw serious weather of all sorts. Winds did make some serious noise at times and you'd feel the trailer rocking (better stabilizers/jacks/stands would probably have helped with the rocking). But no damage. A few times strong gusts came from nowhere, so I'd be careful about the top vents and especially the awning (if you have one). I pretty much wouldn't leave the trailer unattended for more than few minutes with the awning down. One good gust and I could see things breaking. I saw well below 0 (yes Fahrenheit) and never was cold with just a tiny Pelonis 110V AC heater. You won't have that issue in Florida! It's a well insulated, well sealed trailer (not sure about older models with older windows). But I'd fear condensation, mold. It's dry, dry, dry here and the windows often would be covered in condensation, but no where else really, wasn't a problem in 5% humidity, may be a problem in FL. I'd want electric heat in the winters (if even needed down there) and AC with good condensation draining in the summers before I'd consider full timing in the south. But I have low tolerance for heat+humidity, despite 7 years of my youth in Alabama.

It's actually a pretty darn aerodynamic trailer, sitting still or towing I've been impressed how little winds push it around actually.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Last winter we did 4 weeks in our CT13 Uhaul. After we settle into a campground where we are going to stay for awhile we set up our Eureka Northern Breeze screen room. It has flaps to close it in, we can heat it, set up chairs, camp stove, dorm fridge, and lights. It gives us additional room besides the camper. In the trailer we have heat and a TV, 110 and 12 volt lights. It worked so good for us that next winter we are going south for three months.
4 weeks, on vacation, 2 people, no worries.

But month after month, through seasons you may not want to be outside, dealing with life's daily grind if you're still working, I'd kill anyone in that small a space!

But I LOVE my me time. Love my "personal space". And I wonder why I'm single? Surely there's a woman out there with similar tendencies!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I have a 13' scamp, and my wife and I have done multiple 3 & 4 day trips, with a 3 week one last year. The three week one was fine and we had plenty of room for everything. We plan on full timing in 4 to 5 years, and we think for us, a 13' scamp would end up being a divorce trailer. I think I could do a year or two by myself, but we know that each of us need some personal space to make this work. We have looked at many trailers, and want to keep it as small as possible, but may end up in a 25 foot Bigfoot. I'm looking foreword to see what you end up with.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #10

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My view would be go to a 17 foot unit the extra space would make life easier.
When the wife and I go out it works fine but at times I think if we were full time I'd look at the 21 foot Bigfoot.
I'm usually out alone most of the time and the 17 is great for me.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #11

Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Our record was about 2 weeks. Luckily we broke it up with a couple of hotel stays to decompress.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Janelle View Post
We are thinking of spending anywhere from 6 to 10 months a year in our Scamp in a couple of years. We have wondered if the 13' will be big enough but have a couple of years to test it out as we have to sell our house in this market and find a different home base. If we "upgrade" if you want to call it that, the Lil' Snoozy comes to mind as well as the Casita 17. We were thinking of putting everything we might need for a small home base in storage, then spend at least a month or two in several different places to get the feel of the neighborhood. Has anyone else done it this way? We can't stay where we are and spend that much time away, too much property to take care of an too hard to come and go in the winter. Thanks.

Jerry & Janelle
You might like a 2010 Escape 15 a friend is selling her's due to life changes.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #13

Name: Ann
Trailer: Dreaming of my own egg
Texas
Awesome! Thanks for the info that really sets my mind at ease! I'll remember the tip about the ac!
Anndm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
I think size depends on what you're going to do. If you are going to work out of the camper you may need some extra space for electronics, papers etc... Also recreational gear, if any, has to go somewhere too. Other major factors worth considering are camping style, length of stay, desired locations etc... If you plan on dry camping or boon docking then larger gray and black tanks could be beneficial. In all of my research, the Bigfoot 21RB came in as the best all around camper. The biggest negatives are tank sizes and tow vehicle requirements. I also really like the FG fifth wheels, but think a 24 footer would be best for full timing, something like the Bigfoot 24SL motor home redesigned as a fiver, drool.

When we were selecting a camper to full time in we ended up using the worst case scenarios as the key decision points. Things like a broken bone, having the flu, 2 weeks of constant rain... lead us to wanting a larger camper for semi-separate spaces. The used market is what brought us the 25RQ and we couldn't be happier.

Having owned a scamp and now a Bigfoot, the extra width is extraordinary. Personally, I'd only consider the wider units.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Wreck house

We have had a Unik, 15ft Trillium & 13ft. Trillium. I few times here on the island I have had to get off the road due to high winds. The isthmus heading to the Avalon Peninsula can be bad but the worst is Wreck House.
[you can google it] Box cars used to get blown off the track and now, tractor trailers get blown over. When wind warnings are up for the Wreck House area we just pull in and wait it out. Most sensible truckers do the same. It sure messes up the ferry schedule too. Just another advantage of living on a island.
Scouter Dave. "Thank God we're surrounded by water."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anndm1960 View Post
Hi I was wondering about wind gusts and how your little scamp holds up? I would like to full time in a 16 ft fulltime yearround in Fl. I know Florida gets some pretty high gusts so I'm wondering about how stable they are? Any insights?
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
We have had a Unik, 15ft Trillium & 13ft. Trillium. I few times here on the island I have had to get off the road due to high winds. The isthmus heading to the Avalon Peninsula can be bad but the worst is Wreck House.
[you can google it] Box cars used to get blown off the track and now, tractor trailers get blown over. When wind warnings are up for the Wreck House area we just pull in and wait it out. Most sensible truckers do the same. It sure messes up the ferry schedule too. Just another advantage of living on a island.
Scouter Dave. "Thank God we're surrounded by water."
OK, my 13' Scamp has not been in winds that would knock down a box car or tractor trailer! In that case, all bets off!! Good luck, your on your own!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #17

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
We spent 6 weeks in our 13' this past spring. Two weeks on the road and a month sitting still in Palm Springs. We mostly "camped" in places with hookups. The trailer worked out just fine for the 2 of us. That trip made us confident that we could spend almost unlimited time in the trailer.
We plan to take an 8 month trip starting next February.
We did learn a couple of "tricks" to make life easier but that comes with experience and everybody's needs are a little different.
Good luck!
Phil
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
My view would be go to a 17 foot unit the extra space would make life easier.
When the wife and I go out it works fine but at times I think if we were full time I'd look at the 21 foot Bigfoot.
I'm usually out alone most of the time and the 17 is great for me.
We love our Scamp 13D front bath and have no plans to change, but if you want to upsize (not upgrade) then a Scamp16 side dinette, front bath would fill the bill nicely while remaining towable.
The 17s presently available start to cross the class line in terms of size/weight, demanding the consideration of a larger tow vehicle.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Janelle View Post

Jerry & Janelle
Hi Jerry and Janelle.

Full timing or semi full timing is a state of mind and life style. Anne and I have spent over 3 months the last two winters traveling the southwest in our 13'.
Another couple spent 4 years in 13' before they bought a 16' Scamp.
We mostly travel the National Park and National Forest circuit. In the winter in the southwest there's lots of people doing the same thing. We've stayed up a month in once place, but usually only a week or two. There's just too many interesting places to see to stay put too long and there seems to be two stay limits, 14 days and 30 days. You learn where to go and where to stay when talking to other "snow birds". Some are full timing some are semi and others just for few weeks. But it's all good.
One of the nice things about our trailers is that we can go weather suits us, this allows us to spend most of our time outside.

Go for it...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #20

Name: Janelle & Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Registry
Thanks, we really think we can manage in the 13, we love it now and never feel cramped. The only changes I think we might have to make are air conditioning and a fantastic fan. Where we travel now, we don't need air but to mostly full time and venturing into the South, I think we will.
Jerry-Janelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp