Want to mostly full time in a 13' Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #29

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Sounds Awesome! Post some pics of the changes you re going to make to your scamp for full timeing in it.

deryk

Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #30

Name: Jack
Trailer: 1985 Casita liberty
Kentucky
We have 6 years 138 days 6 hours and 9 minutes to go before we can full time. To put it mildly we can't wait!!! We have a 16 ft casita, and we are looking at a 19 ft camplite all aluminum. They seem to have plenty of room and are all aluminum so the wont rust. We are trying to look at it as we only have 6 years so we are making steps now to get ready!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack
What doesva camplight weigh?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #32

Florida
Jack. We looked at the 19 foot camplites. I just looked up it's weight. It actually weighs 2750 lbs without options. That seems like a lot.

Part of the weight issue is there's no escaping the steel axle and other standard components

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #33

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Something to consider is a trailer stated length includes the hitch and bumper. So a Scamp 16ft is just about 3ft more inside length than a Scamp 13ft since the hitch is about the same and the bumper adds the same amount to both models stated "length".

Between brands the hitch and bumper may account for a different amount of the stated length. A 17ft with a longer hitch may not be a foot longer inside than another brands 16ft.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #34

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Janelle View Post
We are thinking of spending anywhere from 6 to 10 months a year in our Scamp in a couple of years. We have wondered if the 13' will be big enough but have a couple of years to test it out as we have to sell our house in this market and find a different home base. If we "upgrade" if you want to call it that, the Lil' Snoozy comes to mind as well as the Casita 17. We were thinking of putting everything we might need for a small home base in storage, then spend at least a month or two in several different places to get the feel of the neighborhood. Has anyone else done it this way? We can't stay where we are and spend that much time away, too much property to take care of an too hard to come and go in the winter. Thanks.

Jerry & Janelle
We spent 2 months this summer in our 13' Scamp, and loved it, but the wife did say that she would like a bathroom and a place for me to sit when I can't sleep. I am looking forward to seeing Pachyderm's Lil Snoozy next month here in Arizona, as that is the trailer that I think I would like next (we are on our 2nd 13' Scamp in 25yrs). Our retirement is approximately 6 years away.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
Old 01-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #35

Name: Janelle & Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We spent 2 months this summer in our 13' Scamp, and loved it, but the wife did say that she would like a bathroom and a place for me to sit when I can't sleep. I am looking forward to seeing Pachyderm's Lil Snoozy next month here in Arizona, as that is the trailer that I think I would like next (we are on our 2nd 13' Scamp in 25yrs). Our retirement is approximately 6 years away.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
You are having some of the same issues we have. The only thing we didn't like about the Snoozy was the lack of propane. We have also looked at the Parkliner and so far it's coming out in first place. When we hit the road we would like to see the Casita, Parkliner and Snoozy plants. Who knows, the 13' may suit our needs better than we think. We didn't plan to live in it when we bought it or we would have gotten more of the options. You have enough time to plan.

Jerry and Janelle
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #36

New Jersey
Registry
the lack of propane ruled out snoozy, i wanted at least 6 foot or so headroom, that ruled out casita 16....their 17 has too much tongue weight for my Rav4 so that was ruled out...I'm prejudiced the ParkLiner is real sweet! if your in my neck of the woods i will show you mine!

deryk
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #37

Name: Janelle & Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
the lack of propane ruled out snoozy, i wanted at least 6 foot or so headroom, that ruled out casita 16....their 17 has too much tongue weight for my Rav4 so that was ruled out...I'm prejudiced the ParkLiner is real sweet! if your in my neck of the woods i will show you mine!

deryk
Well, we will be if everything goes according to plan, late Summer or Early Fall. Do you love it? It's not big but the more we look at it the more it seems like the perfect. J & J in Oregon
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #38

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah i do love it! No particle board, marine plywood... queen sized bed...lots of stowage... nohuge closet but it wilk work! No rivets, less things to leak from lol!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #39

Florida
Jerry and Janelle,
Hi folks. We're definitely missing OR, wonderful to meet you.

From reading this site there is general agreement there is no perfect trailer, tow vehicle or even tires. To me the only thing that comes near perfection is being on the road.

Rivets, wooden floors, heated tanks are all trivial. My 1991 rivets don't leak, my floor's not rotted and nothing's ever frozen. If you're using your rig and are awake these small things are easily addressed taking virtually no time. It is the unused trailer that is in peril.

Of course there is no perfect trailer. Simply look at the trailer flipping that goes on. Every trailer requires modification to become a road warrior. No manufacturer uses their product enough, they are too busy and small, to use them enough or simply market focused on those who rarely use their trailer.

Of course one should select the trailer that best meets their needs but like a marriage, it's what you do with what you have.

Safe and fun travels......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #40

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
If you are comparing a fiberglass egg with any other type trailer, I'm not sure when but they started not including the hitch in the stated length of the trailer but they did. I thought this was very confusing. When I first looked at the floor plans I noticed they sure were getting more in then they used to but when I looked at the specs, I realized why. I just checked Camplite and they give a box length in the model number. So, be careful of comparing.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #41

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
If you are comparing a fiberglass egg with any other type trailer, I'm not sure when but they started not including the hitch in the stated length of the trailer but they did. I thought this was very confusing. When I first looked at the floor plans I noticed they sure were getting more in then they used to but when I looked at the specs, I realized why. I just checked Camplite and they give a box length in the model number. So, be careful of comparing.
Good information to know that the different manufactures measure differently.

I suppose it's like the stated weight of the trailer. The manufacturer weight is generally lower than the completed trailer but there is no industry standard between manufactures as to what is included/not included in the stated weight.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #42

Name: Jack
Trailer: 1985 Casita liberty
Kentucky
I have a 16 ft casita now and the dry weight on it is 2380 so I figured another 3 or 4 hundred pounds wouldn't make much difference. The camplite has so much room in is why I like so much. Anyway I only have 6 years 145 days 8 hours and 45 minutes to go til fulltime. That's not too bad if you say it really fast. I just can't talk that fast.

Tags
scamp