Water - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #29

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I just don't like the taste of the tank water. Mine was a new tank when I bought the trailer, and I hoped that with regular use, it would stop tasting like plastic. I also disinfect regularly. But unfortunately, after years of use, it still tastes like plastic.
So for me, its not a fear of getting sick, just dislike of the flavor.
Pam, that is a reason that I can understand!

Bill

Old 05-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #30

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
But unfortunately, after years of use, it still tastes like plastic..
So, what are your water containers that you use made of?

Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It's not as much as being about the water you put in the tank, it's what you take out of the tank after it's been in a nice warm incubator for a few hours, days weeks etc. Unless you are willing to sterilize the tank each time you go out there is a risk of pathogens in your next meal.

My late wife, who was director of lab services at the hospital where we worked, prepared a very visual demonstration in Petri Dishes of the quality of the water in our Airstreams holding tank after it "Cooked" for a few weeks following a chlorine cleaning. As a result I have always cooked and drank fresh or bottled water when on the road.

A dose of Montezuma's Revenge may be waiting for you.....
Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #32

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's not as much as being about the water you put in the tank, it's what you take out of the tank after it's been in a nice warm incubator for a few hours, days weeks etc. Unless you are willing to sterilize the tank each time you go out there is a risk of pathogens in your next meal.

My late wife, who was director of lab services at the hospital where we worked, prepared a very visual demonstration in Petri Dishes of the quality of the water in our Airstreams holding tank after it "Cooked" for a few weeks following a chlorine cleaning. As a result I have always cooked and drank fresh or bottled water when on the road.

A dose of Montezuma's Revenge may be waiting for you.....
Do you drink faucet water at home?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #33

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
never happens here Bob....

my water never "cooks" for a few weeks in my fresh water tank.....

every other time I fill my tank I add 2 or 3 DROPS of cholrine to the incoming water....I never "taste" it...but I know it's there....in a quantity that I know will kill any and all organics...and actually more than is really required...

beginning of the season I fill and flush and fill and flush in my backyard...then I get into my "routine".....works just fine for me...as it did just the same for twenty odd years in boats I owned...(you think people complain about the water in RVs???? that's nuttin' compared to the boating crowd)

it's a widespread opinion that all water from your onboard tank is "bad"...it's all about maintenance....just like you maintain your bearings/brakes...your water will be fine IF you pay attention to it....it you wanted to get technical about it (new hobby alert) there are small water testing kits available to get a feel for how much / how often.....cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
tenc.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #34

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Makes you wonder how we all managed to get to where we are now. Thousands of years without bottled water.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #35

California
Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Do you drink faucet water at home?
Of course, and I drink/cook with tap water while in the field. I just don't drink or cook with water that has been cooking in my holding tank. I don't mind being on the safe side of that.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #36

California
About Safety vs Odds...

On this past Monday my neighbor and I went out for breakfast. He has one of these huge diesel powered, 4 door, Dodge trucks with dually's to be able to pull his "Toyhouse" full of stuff.

Anyway, when I had trouble finding the safety belt he commented that "we never use those". Sooo... with the evidence that he and his wife are still alive, does that mean that it's safe to not use safety belts?????

For moi, the same thing applies to drinking water. It's "Better safe than sick" especially while away from home.

BTW: A "couple of drops of chlorine" (bleach?) is not enough to treat an entire tank of water. It's not even enough to treat a single gallon of water if it is contaminated. Here's an EPA link, scroll down to #3.

Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water | Emergency Preparedness | US EPA

My apologies for introducing all this "Sciency" stuff.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #37

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Bob, there is a school of thought that says we are WAY too clean. Our sanitized environment has left our immune system weak.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #38

California
Too Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Bob, there is a school of thought that says we are WAY too clean. Our sanitized environment has left our immune system weak.

I can also agree with that and I have somewhat of a reputation of being casual in that respect. BUT.... putting contaminated water into ones self is not one of the ways to boost immunity and, if one does have a low immunity level, it's an even worse idea.

As my late passed away due to a compromised immune system, from meds that suppressed immunity. I am well tuned to that subject.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #39

British Columbia
Registry
SCIENCY STUFF ???

your link was for EMERGENCY disinfection of water...like after some hurricane or flood… when ALL water has been contaminated by who knows WHAT.

"If the water is cloudy..."??? well yeah, I'd pour a jar of chlorine in there...but I wouldn't have poured the water in my tank in the first place.
What we are talking about is disinfecting DRINKING water….not effluent from a sewage treatment plant. I don't know where you get your water from...I get mine from a tap or even out of a clear running stream in a pinch.

I use to work in the water business….the kind of number you are/should be looking for is 4ppm…..that's four parts per MILLION…..do the math.

For more “sciency” stuff (relevant this time)…and from your side of the border no less…
Basic Information about Disinfectants in Drinking Water: Chloramine, Chlorine and Chlorine Dioxide | Basic Information about Regulated Drinking Water Contaminants | US EPA

anyway if I do get worried about the water I'm drinking....I put a little scotch in it....it works and you don't have to worry about all that complicated ppm stuff. .... Give it a try sometime
Attached Thumbnails
lqf6.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #40

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
It's a matter of taste as much as it is health. I fly alot, and they make coffee onboard from the water in the aircraft's water tank. Depending on the airline, the coffee comes out smelling (and tasting) like a pair of dirty socks. Yuck. I usually order OJ instead. I do think that 1 or 2 drops of chlorine might make the water taste cleaner, but it isn't enough to kill microbes, etc. We use the Camco drinking water freshener. One ounce to 20 gallons. That, along with our water filter, seems to work fine.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #41

California
Franswa's link to an EPA page provided tons of good information on a)maintaining and operating water systems and, b) Emergency disinfecting of water. But no mention could be found dealing with managing my concern, the risks of stagnant water in a warm holding tank.

The 4 ppm (parts per million) figure seems to apply to a system that is generally known to be clean, and is not what an RV may be sporting at all times.

The EPA recommends 8 drops of chlorine per gallon for sanitation of contaminated water, a far cry from the addition of "2 drops of chlorine" every other tank full, to overcome any possible contamination.

If I was using my water holding tank every day I would be less concerned, but most of our tanks are not used in that manner and the risk of unwanted microbial and bacterial contaminants is just a bit over my threshold for a safe and happy trip, even to the point that I have installed a separate system for delivery of fresh tap water, from a known clean container, to my sink area.

Montezuma's Revenge is not welcome in my house.....
Old 05-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #42

British Columbia
Registry
the risks....

the risk of stagnant water in a holding tank? long periods? Don't you have a drain?

disinfecting water involves adding a certain amount of chlorine to a certain volume of water….24 hours later testing is done….in a random sample if 4ppm CL is observed (called residual cholrine) the water and its vessel (water line) is disinfected…deemed safe for human consumption…..if 4ppm CL is not observed the whole procedure has to be repeated (something organic in the line/water absorbed the CL)

we are starting with a clean tank (either your trailer is brand new or you dumped a gallon of CL in there once and then flushed it a bunch of times) and clean water from your tap at home…

4 ppm is like: four inches in 16 miles, four seconds in 11.5 days, four minutes in two years, or four cars in bumper-to-bumper traffic from Cleveland to San Francisco….or to put it yet another way.... if you had four pounds of chlorine (what’s that? A couple of quarts?)… you could treat/maintain the 20 gallon tank in your trailer SIX THOUSAND TIMES (full fill-ups)….before you ran out of chlorine

A couple of drops every other fill-up not enough???… I’m most probably overdoing it (unless a mouse crawled into my tank when I wasn’t looking)
Maybe if I lived in California, with the water challenges you guys have to face, I’d be a little more concerned but…the numbers are the numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
z.jpg