Water - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Franswa's link to an EPA page provided tons of good information on a)maintaining and operating water systems and, b) Emergency disinfecting of water. But no mention could be found dealing with managing my concern, the risks of stagnant water in a warm holding tank.

The 4 ppm (parts per million) figure seems to apply to a system that is generally known to be clean, and is not what an RV may be sporting at all times.

The EPA recommends 8 drops of chlorine per gallon for sanitation of contaminated water, a far cry from the addition of "2 drops of chlorine" every other tank full, to overcome any possible contamination.

If I was using my water holding tank every day I would be less concerned, but most of our tanks are not used in that manner and the risk of unwanted microbial and bacterial contaminants is just a bit over my threshold for a safe and happy trip, even to the point that I have installed a separate system for delivery of fresh tap water, from a known clean container, to my sink area.

Montezuma's Revenge is not welcome in my house.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #42

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
the risks....

the risk of stagnant water in a holding tank? long periods? Don't you have a drain?

disinfecting water involves adding a certain amount of chlorine to a certain volume of water….24 hours later testing is done….in a random sample if 4ppm CL is observed (called residual cholrine) the water and its vessel (water line) is disinfected…deemed safe for human consumption…..if 4ppm CL is not observed the whole procedure has to be repeated (something organic in the line/water absorbed the CL)

we are starting with a clean tank (either your trailer is brand new or you dumped a gallon of CL in there once and then flushed it a bunch of times) and clean water from your tap at home…

4 ppm is like: four inches in 16 miles, four seconds in 11.5 days, four minutes in two years, or four cars in bumper-to-bumper traffic from Cleveland to San Francisco….or to put it yet another way.... if you had four pounds of chlorine (what’s that? A couple of quarts?)… you could treat/maintain the 20 gallon tank in your trailer SIX THOUSAND TIMES (full fill-ups)….before you ran out of chlorine

A couple of drops every other fill-up not enough???… I’m most probably overdoing it (unless a mouse crawled into my tank when I wasn’t looking)
Maybe if I lived in California, with the water challenges you guys have to face, I’d be a little more concerned but…the numbers are the numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
z.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #43

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'm not going to bother with your other ppm comparisons, but 2 metric drops in 10 gallons of water comes out to 1.514160 ppm, but if that is fine for you, so be it.
I'm done on this now dead horse.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #44

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Water Worriers

We travel in a lot of areas that perpetually have boil water warnings. In the beginning we were concerned about these warnings. We were never concerned about city water we added to our tank, no more than we're concerned with growth in our home water lines. Be sure stuff grows in your water lines at home as well.

If your're a water worrier like we were when we started you can add a cold water filter for drinking and cooking. We had one in the motorhome from General Ecology capable of 700 gallons that would last us 7 months. These filters remove practically everything including viruses. They are low flow, about a 0.5 gallons per minute.

Our's was similar to 770310 in the following link.

The following link refers to the capability of the unit. We connected it to a bar type faucet.

Water going to this filter was pre-filtered by a traditional RV filter to remove the larger items and save the more expensive filter. (The typical Walmart's RV filter is 100 microns, 250 time less capable than this General Ecology filter).

https://generalecology.com/images/fi...lguide0313.pdf

Water Microfiltration System General Ecology Versa Pure Filter Stainless New | eBay

As we've become more experienced we've become less concerned with the boil water orders, finding the locals ignore them totally.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #45

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Filter for use with your own faucet

Nature Pure QC2 Replacement Canister - Nature Pure

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote