Weather, winds and storms while full time in FGRV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Weather, winds and storms while full time in FGRV

I just read a question and posts here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post556380

I'm about to go full time and likely in a Trillium 4500 in an RV park near my work and am wondering how much I need to worry about wind and stormy weather?

Thank you,
Jen
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
A good question... one thing I worry about but never really addressed is what to do if a tornado or the like comes when I am camping. Without looking into further is seems that the bathhouses might be the safest place to be, but I'm not sure I want to climb in the camp ground shower with a bunch of other people when the wind sounds like a train coming. So I am following this thread.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

California
The rv park I looked at today charges 475 a month and covers electric, water, garbage and sewer. Nice to have water and I'm guessing the sewer means for greywater?

This also means that I'll need to figure out hoses and stuff for when its below freezing, (it got pretty cold last winter.)

Jen
Old 10-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In a full time park Sewer usually includes gray and black water dump. BUT Don't just leave your dump valves open all the time. Let the tank get at least 1/2 full before dumping and then chase that down with a hose and fresh water rinse.

There are "Tie Down" kits for mobile homes. If you are concerned about storms you might want to look into them. And look around where you are staying and see what others may have done.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
In a full time park Sewer usually includes gray and black water dump. BUT Don't just leave your dump valves open all the time. Let the tank get at least 1/2 full before dumping and then chase that down with a hose and fresh water rinse.

There are "Tie Down" kits for mobile homes. If you are concerned about storms you might want to look into them. And look around where you are staying and see what others may have done.
Thank you Bob,

Although with my future trailer there will be no shower or toilet for black, just a sink for grey.

I didn't notice any ties on the trailers today. !
Jen
Old 10-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I was once camping in a pop-up when the wind come up, I went out and tied it down to the car. It was the least restful nights sleep I have ever had.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:22 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Jen, we camp in the desert mostly and park with the rear of the trailer into the wind. Don't think there is really much you can do with an egg in weather like that other than hope and find a place to shelter. There was a posting from a member about a year ago that went through a high wind storm, rolled the trailer over a few times. As I remember, other than a few scratches and things tossed around inside, he towed it away just fine. On another note, with all the flooding around the country I've been waiting to hear someone say that our eggs float like a VW .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were camping in a pop-up once in the wind, the pop-up next to us ended up on it's side and a couple others had the top collapse
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jen, is your Trillium fully self-contained (toilet & shower)? Around here, a lot of RV parks geared to full-timers don't have bathhouses and only accept self-contained units. Some have minimum size restrictions and age limits on the trailer as well. Something to check into.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #10

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
So last night Houston had 6 tornadoes, one of the people did exactly what I planned to do, he left for work early and was not in his RV when it got destroyed.

NWS: 6 tornadoes hit the Greater Houston area Saturday
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Jen, we camp in the desert mostly and park with the rear of the trailer into the wind. Don't think there is really much you can do with an egg in weather like that other than hope and find a place to shelter. There was a posting from a member about a year ago that went through a high wind storm, rolled the trailer over a few times. As I remember, other than a few scratches and things tossed around inside, he towed it away just fine. On another note, with all the flooding around the country I've been waiting to hear someone say that our eggs float like a VW .
The storms have me worried, although I guess if houses are flooding and washing away then my sudden concern over my future egg in a windy thunderstorm is kind of unfounded...right?

Last winter, (and I hear the winter before that,) we had a couple of days worth of ice storms... that is rare here too though and pretty much shut the city down.) Not likely worthy of freaking out over since, again, dwelling didn't matter.

How do they take a windy thunderstorm though. The shape should help, right?

Jen
Old 11-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #12

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Tornado question:

I appreciate this discussion and hope someone can give me advice as to what to do in this scenario: I am planning on a 2016 cross country trip, Oregon to Nova Scotia and other locals. The only tornadoes I've seen were on the TV news.

What to do if driving on the flat plains, and a funnel cloud is chasing me down? I assume not enough time to unhitch the trailer. Leave or stay in the vehicle? Hide in a culvert? Park under an overpass if nearby?
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Do NOT try to out run a tornado.
Do NOT park under an overpass.
Do NOT unhitch your trailer.

Be weather aware ahead of time.
Check radar.
If necessary, get out of vehicle and lay down in a low spot like a culvert.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #14

In reality, all bad tornado's make the news, the actual chance of running into one on the hiway is fairly slim to about none. But yes, in inclement weather, follow the news and/or get an AM/FM/Weather radio with a warning signal. Fairly cheap and it can be used for music and news the rest of the time.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #15

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
In reality, all bad tornado's make the news, the actual chance of running into one on the hiway is fairly slim to about none. But yes, in inclement weather, follow the news and/or get an AM/FM/Weather radio with a warning signal. Fairly cheap and it can be used for music and news the rest of the time.
Most excellent advice!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
What Bob said.

People tend to fixate on the tornado aspect of bad weather, yet here in Texas it could be hail, torrential rain/flooding, straight line winds, lightning, ice storms, severe thunderstorms ....... well you get the picture. ANY of these things can reek havoc on a traveler and their trailer.

Just remember to pack that most important thing before starting your trip ...

common sense!
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #17

And in Texas, about the worst thing that can happen where you shelter at, is that they will be out of beer and the football game won't be on TV. That's two steps of the Texas disaster trifecta.... Be careful, at least carry your own beverages... LOL

Old 11-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #18

Oregon
tornado watch

why not get under an overpass?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I was camped in a wind storm in Northern California one winter where the campground manager suggested I leave the trailer hooked up to the tug & use extra wheel blocks as much larger trailers than mine had been known to have blown clear across the campground during high winds. I did as he suggested and glad I did as the trailer did take some fairly serious wind blasts during the night that raised more than a little concern.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #20

Oregon
what do you mean"tug"?