what about food? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
when we've travelled for extended periods, i used to stock up with some staples upon leaving home....but i don't do that so much anymore. i found i was using valuable space for "i may need this"-kind of products that, in fact, i ended up rarely using. now, i will take from home small containers of basics and i refill as needed along the way.

it's rare not to find a grocery store somewhere along a journey! even if one plans on spending extended time boondocking out in the boonies, one will surely have need to visit a local village or town for gas/propane/water etc....and even if the costs are minimally higher, it would be a great opportunity to meet the locals and give 'em some business!
Times TEN!

I used to try to "plan" practically a whole trip's menu, but have since come down to taking only basic condiments, coffee, and whatever bread/produce/perishables that can't be left at home in the fridge. Everything else is bought on the road.
Makes for a lot easier packing, and a lot more locals-meeting!

One thing I do recommend: Ziploc bags in all three basic sizes for breaking things down to manageable, space-fitting quantities if the need arises.

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL what you dont go camping to bake???

Who me? ummmmm, I don't even bake at home . I know sounds weird, but not a huge sweet eater. I like sweets but not enough to bake.

The extent of my flour use is like yours, even at home. Takes me forever to go through flour and sugar.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #17

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
What a feast of good ideas! You have given me much to think about and a clearer idea of what type of system might suit us best. Like many other things about these wee trailers - everyone has their favorite item, brand, method of packing, amount to pack and so on. I LOVE that about this forum.

We don't have Containerstores here but similar items are available so when I have a clearer idea about what needs to go where I'll be hunting for the best sizes at the best prices.

The area we will be in is even less populated than a spot we spent some time at last year. If I recall correctly it was about forty miles to the closest gas station and general store. We were careful to not run out of anything crucial to our comfort!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #18

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
hazel....where you are planning on going sounds peaceful and tranquil. for me, that would be all i'd need but i know i would journey that 40 miles at least once to see what's there....
absolutely, planning under such circumstances would be most wise. however, changing the kind of things one packs/brings to suit the location is warranted as well---less fresh produce, baked items etc and more canned/dry in storage, for example.
i agree with francesca---i love ziploc bags for storage.

you are a photographer, right? what is there at this destination that so appeals to you? (not being nosy....ok, yes, i am!)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #19

Saskatchewan
Hi Theresa - we are so early in the plans right now that there sort of aren't any! We have approximate dates. We know we will spend some time at Grasslands National Park, the Cypress Hills and Last Mountain Lake bird sanctuary.

The draw is migrating birds, wildflowers coming into bloom and taking time to just enjoy the prairie region. Mostly we have just driven through it on the way to somewhere else - all the while thinking "Look at those varied shades of gold and brown. Gorgeous" and "See how the sun and shadow make a pattern over there". Sometimes "Wow - there's an eagle" or "There's a bunch of antelope over there".

We will need to do a lot more research to find other places to see and take photos of. Then we can decide on a route. We think there should be a sand dune area somewhere and some badlands but we don't quite know where just yet.

I wonder how people organised their trips before computers gave them info at the click of a few keys?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #20

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
hazel---your adventure sounds incredible! i, too, think like that when we travel. often i find myself wishing to stop to take a photo...but by the time i suggest it, we're past it and i end up just saying "don't bother, just forget it"....you have inspired me to stop. to take the time to "smell the flowers"...and to photograph them, too!!!!

thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #21

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

enjoyed reading through the posts. Seems like there is a near unanimous thumbs up on ziplock bags, and several use the electric vacuum seal type systems...

Run, don't walk, to your neighborhood grocery store and grab one of these and some extra bags:

Ziplock Brand Vacuum Bag System

You can have vacuum sealed bags on the road when you stock up.
We sold our food-saver vacuum sealer and now only use the ziplock at home and on the road. Nothing to break and it cost us like 10 bucks or so!

: ) Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Hi Hazel, sounds like a fun trip planned. I don't see what tow vehicle you have, but we tow with a pickup truck with a locking bed cover. We then buy about a months supply of dry goods and staples that we organize and store in rubbermaid type containers in the truck bed. We restock the trailer from the bed of the pickup over the course of the trip. You don't have to do a huge frustrating Wally run in the middle of the trip this way and can just make quick easy stops to replenish perishables as needed.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #23

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Thom,

Great product! thx. Besides cost and potential breakage of the vacuum sealer how would you compare the two methods. Ease of use, reusable bags?, etc. What made you decide to sell the vacuum sealer? I'd be worried of high priced brand specific baggies in the long run.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #24

Astoria Oregon
Registry
We had a high end Food Saver model...went through about one a year and finally got fed up with them. Cari found the ziplock system at the local store, figured for 10 bucks she'd try it. . . several months in use now and she is absolutely sold on the simplicity and convenience.

They are reusable. Sooooo, if you use them on say dry goods, you can get many uses out of one bag. IF you use them on wet stuff such as meats i would only use them once IMO (i'm a health & safety guy for my employer).

Dry goods...good value.
Wet goods...could get expensive as they would be a one-use-bag(?)

Either way...You can buy alot of ziplock vacuum bags for the same $40 food saver bag rolls + $150 food saver expense. AND we can use it at camp with no electricity or storage issues (~sealer is the size of a hot dog in a bun~).
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #25

Saskatchewan
That Ziplock system looks interesting, I'll keep my eyes open at the store.

We tow with a Honda Element and find it works well for us for the shorter trips we've done so far. We think of ourselves as campers rather than RVers and pack accordingly. We cook, eat and do dishes on the outside picnic table (two burner propane stove). All the pots, cooking implements, dishes and cutlery fit nicely in the back along with some of the food. We also have the three way fridge and cupboard space inside the Trillium.

For this upcoming longer trip we thought we could pack much the same as usual and take extra staples (dry items and cans) and put them in the back bunk(s) under the bed. There really doesn't seem to be any way around needing to replenish bread, milk, fresh fruit and veggies. If space is running out hubby said he could probably take out the water tank as we carry water in a plastic container.

Generally we have taken a wee bit of favourite herbs and spices in tiny ziptop bags (craft store) but I'm saving medicine containers for the longer trip. Will also need laundry supplies that we haven't had to take before - and more dish soap than we usually take!

For those who wonder what we do with the rest of the space in the Element there is an easy answer. It holds hubby's clothes and our camera equipment. Three cameras, two regular tripods, a monopod, a mini tripod, seven lenses and an assortment of filters and general 'stuff'.

I'm getting excited and doing lots of dreaming and thinking - today we had a windchill of -48C.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
LOL Hazel with all the pots and pans. dishes, clothing and camera gear in the Element whats in the trailer?

There are two good ways to keep the laundry supply volume down & avoid having powder spill out anywhere. One is by the liquid type in a small pump container (safeway has them) or use the pod type and just pack as many as you will need.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #27

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

on washing clothes : ) . . .

If you happen to be dry camping and the weather is nice and have space to hang up a clothes line for drying...

We came across this handy item for washing clothes on the road is called the _"Scrubba Wash Bag"_. It's about the size of a small gear bag and works pretty cool. folds up and stores out of the way.

Happy Trails,
Thom
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I have done that with a dry bag while kayaking. Another way is to put cloths with some soap into a bucket with a lid and take it with you will out exploring in the tug. No need to scrub the cloths as they get clean moving around with the motion of the tug. Just rinse when you return. It actually works even better if you leave the bucket in the trailer while towing. Just make sure you secure it well.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote