what about food? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
what about food?

We are planning a longer trip than our usual few days to three weeks at a time. I have tended to pack enough of the dry ingredients to last for the trip - flour, oatmeal, rice and macaroni in serving sizes in separate zip lock bags. We enjoy the ease of just opening a bag of oatmeal adding water and having breakfast quickly and easily. Or knowing that the rice in the bag is just the ideal amount for the two of us. Other items like brown sugar and dried fruit have been packed in those clear plastic boxes with blue lids - they hold 2 or 4 cups of food.

This trip will be longer. No firm plans yet but likely mid May to mid July. That would mean an awful lot of ziplock bags!

So here I am with some questions about how you manage the food part of a trip. We often need to buy more fresh fruit or veggies, maybe some meat, bread or eggs and know this will happen for sure on a longer trip. But what do you do when you need more flour or sugar - what do you put it in so there isn't any spilling?

Anyone out there in FBRVland with some helpful thoughts, suggestions, ideas to avoid food hassles?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I tend to purchase on the road. I hate draging something such as flour 5 thousand miles when it didn't get used.

I tend to stalk up on laundry stuff cause I know I will use it, personal items that I like. Just in case I get somewhere that they don't sell my brand. Flour can be bought anywhere. If you use it, then make a couple bags up for travel then if you run out stock up on the road.

Longer trips require so many other things that food isn't what I would worry about traveling with.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hazel, you didn't mention where you were planning on traveling, but does it include crossing the border into the U.S.?

KarenH asked a very similar question several years back. There's only 14 posts to the thread, but you may find some of the suggestions, etc. of value: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...u-s-42934.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
Thanks for the responses.
Robin - I'm asking about food and the storage of it because that is part of 'my' preparation job. My partner gets to worry about tools, propane, and all sorts of other gear.

Donna - we definitely won't be entering the US. We plan to spend time exploring the prairies of southern SK and maybe into Alberta. Shopping centres and campgrounds seem to be few and far between. For sure we'll go to Grasslands National Park - and likely spend time pulled off a gravel road in the middle of nowhere. Great opportunities for photography!

I was starting to think about the organisation of 'stuff' on a snowy evening.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I like to stop every few days anyway to get fresh fruit, vegetables, salad fixins', so as long as I'm in the store, I get whatever else I may be running short of.
I do make sure I have a reasonable ( small ) stockpile of staple items in the camper or truck though, just in case I get temporary stranded due to weather or other unforseen calamities.
The one thing I make sure I have lots of is dog food, because my dog is on a special diet, and her food comes from the vet. Not all vets carry this brand.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
So glad you asked about food storage as we have come up with some ideas that have worked for us. We tow with a sedan and use the trunk as a pantry. Basically, we pack for one week and purchase food as we go. There is no need to haul around so much weight resulting in more wear and tear and lower gas mileage not to mention lack of space. A plus; when you run out of food you have an excuse to eat at a restaurant which is always a nice break from the routine. We keep a few extra cans for "emergencies". Hints: Label everything! With a Sharpee we mark the top of cans, ZipLoc bags, boxes (with blue masking tape). We group food items according to their container.
The containers we use are:
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I have a lot of food in my walk in pantry at home. Most of it is bulk, often in large packages or containers. The boler has limited storage, a small fridge etc. I hate to buy something while on a trip when I know I already have tons of it at home. So I repackage food not just into ziplock bags but plastic containers, jars, bottles and other repurposed packaging. I do not make individual servings though. Just a core group of basic ingredients that will make many different meals and snacks. I always pack plenty of things like rice, pasta and instead of flour, pancake mix and bannock mix and canned goods. Produce, baked goods and the limited by fridge size items are what need to purchased more frequently along the way. I think trying to package everything in serving size pouches is not practical for more than a few days.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
But what do you do when you need more flour or sugar - what do you put it in so there isn't any spilling?

Anyone out there in FBRVland with some helpful thoughts, suggestions, ideas to avoid food hassles?
Hazel I have done a number of trips in excess of 3 weeks. I keep dry goods in containers with lids which I pack at home, so I dont normally need to buy any on the trip. The size of the container depends on the goods. I dont use flour a lot when camping so its in a pretty small container, use lots of coffee, pan cake mix and rice so they get bigger containers. I like using square containers that can be stacked so you don't loss valuable space as you do with round containers. I use a lot of Tupperware containers that stack well and stick a label on the front that I can see when stacked up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Another thought...We tend to relax our healthy eating protocol a bit while traveling for convenience and practicality. While we do not succumb to a steady diet of fast food we have found some places that offer convenience and relatively healthy eating if you are willing to look beyond the chips aisle.
Gas stations with mini markets, 7-11, Pilot Travel Centers, Flying J and such all carry an amazing array of foods for the traveler. The ones on freeways seem to have the best assortment. While not the epitome of health foods you can get staples in small containers such as canned goods, nuts, biscuit mix, jerky, cereal, etc. They often stock some fresh foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt, sandwiches, hot dogs. (I usually get my ice cream fix at these places after eating their salad. Yes, I said salad!) The baked goods are usually individually wrapped which allows them to stay "fresh" for a long time (don't look at the ingredients panel). I am thinking of stocking our next camping trip with many items from our local 7-11.
Hope these ideas make for happy camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #10

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
As far as keeping things fresh and neat, as well as saving a little on space, I use a vacuum sealer. It's especially handy with meat. I individually wrap items, steak, hamburgers, even hot dogs. I freeze before I leave and eat them at the rate they thaw. Dealing with a thawed meat is leak free and generally cleaner. Stacks nicer too. Some pricier models have a "gentle" setting for use with crushable foods like muffins etc. I got mine hand me down but they come cheap. This is like the one I have, only $60.
Seal-a-Meal - Food Sealer - VS107
Attached Images

(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
when we've travelled for extended periods, i used to stock up with some staples upon leaving home....but i don't do that so much anymore. i found i was using valuable space for "i may need this"-kind of products that, in fact, i ended up rarely using. now, i will take from home small containers of basics and i refill as needed along the way.

it's rare not to find a grocery store somewhere along a journey! even if one plans on spending extended time boondocking out in the boonies, one will surely have need to visit a local village or town for gas/propane/water etc....and even if the costs are minimally higher, it would be a great opportunity to meet the locals and give 'em some business!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Seal A Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
As far as keeping things fresh and neat, as well as saving a little on space, I use a vacuum sealer. It's especially handy with meat. I individually wrap items, steak, hamburgers, even hot dogs. I freeze before I leave and eat them at the rate they thaw. Dealing with a thawed meat is leak free and generally cleaner. Stacks nicer too. Some pricier models have a "gentle" setting for use with crushable foods like muffins etc. I got mine hand me down but they come cheap. This is like the one I have, only $60.
Seal-a-Meal - Food Sealer - VS107
We used the same method last fall on our 3 week trip . We sealed single meal portions of bacon ,sausage , steak ,hamburgers, pork chops, meatballs, etc in Seal a Meal bags and froze them. The Seal a Meal bags do not leak so they don,t make a mess if they thaw in the refrigerator and you can put them in a cooler with ice and not worry about the ice melting and soaking the food. We found it easier to have single meal portions than thaw a larger quantity , take what we need and then try to reseal and refreeze the item. For us it allows us to better plan meals and we waste less food
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Have to agree with the use of Seal-a-Meals. I attempt to make up single servings of just about anything & use the Seal-a-Meal. Even at home the individual, airless containers extend the shelf life both in the freezer and, of course for non refrigerated products, on the shelf.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
I hate draging something such as flour 5 thousand miles when it didn't get used.
LOL what you dont go camping to bake??? The container of flour in my trailer is of 1/2 cup size maybe less - mostly used for thickening up a crock pot stew or a gravy sauce. That one little container will usually last me a better part of the camping season.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
when we've travelled for extended periods, i used to stock up with some staples upon leaving home....but i don't do that so much anymore. i found i was using valuable space for "i may need this"-kind of products that, in fact, i ended up rarely using. now, i will take from home small containers of basics and i refill as needed along the way.

it's rare not to find a grocery store somewhere along a journey! even if one plans on spending extended time boondocking out in the boonies, one will surely have need to visit a local village or town for gas/propane/water etc....and even if the costs are minimally higher, it would be a great opportunity to meet the locals and give 'em some business!
Times TEN!

I used to try to "plan" practically a whole trip's menu, but have since come down to taking only basic condiments, coffee, and whatever bread/produce/perishables that can't be left at home in the fridge. Everything else is bought on the road.
Makes for a lot easier packing, and a lot more locals-meeting!

One thing I do recommend: Ziploc bags in all three basic sizes for breaking things down to manageable, space-fitting quantities if the need arises.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL what you dont go camping to bake???

Who me? ummmmm, I don't even bake at home . I know sounds weird, but not a huge sweet eater. I like sweets but not enough to bake.

The extent of my flour use is like yours, even at home. Takes me forever to go through flour and sugar.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #17

Saskatchewan
What a feast of good ideas! You have given me much to think about and a clearer idea of what type of system might suit us best. Like many other things about these wee trailers - everyone has their favorite item, brand, method of packing, amount to pack and so on. I LOVE that about this forum.

We don't have Containerstores here but similar items are available so when I have a clearer idea about what needs to go where I'll be hunting for the best sizes at the best prices.

The area we will be in is even less populated than a spot we spent some time at last year. If I recall correctly it was about forty miles to the closest gas station and general store. We were careful to not run out of anything crucial to our comfort!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #18

Registry
hazel....where you are planning on going sounds peaceful and tranquil. for me, that would be all i'd need but i know i would journey that 40 miles at least once to see what's there....
absolutely, planning under such circumstances would be most wise. however, changing the kind of things one packs/brings to suit the location is warranted as well---less fresh produce, baked items etc and more canned/dry in storage, for example.
i agree with francesca---i love ziploc bags for storage.

you are a photographer, right? what is there at this destination that so appeals to you? (not being nosy....ok, yes, i am!)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #19

Saskatchewan
Hi Theresa - we are so early in the plans right now that there sort of aren't any! We have approximate dates. We know we will spend some time at Grasslands National Park, the Cypress Hills and Last Mountain Lake bird sanctuary.

The draw is migrating birds, wildflowers coming into bloom and taking time to just enjoy the prairie region. Mostly we have just driven through it on the way to somewhere else - all the while thinking "Look at those varied shades of gold and brown. Gorgeous" and "See how the sun and shadow make a pattern over there". Sometimes "Wow - there's an eagle" or "There's a bunch of antelope over there".

We will need to do a lot more research to find other places to see and take photos of. Then we can decide on a route. We think there should be a sand dune area somewhere and some badlands but we don't quite know where just yet.

I wonder how people organised their trips before computers gave them info at the click of a few keys?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #20

Registry
hazel---your adventure sounds incredible! i, too, think like that when we travel. often i find myself wishing to stop to take a photo...but by the time i suggest it, we're past it and i end up just saying "don't bother, just forget it"....you have inspired me to stop. to take the time to "smell the flowers"...and to photograph them, too!!!!

thanks.