What Cars Do You Drive? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Sounds interesting FK..... can you post some links where such concepts are discussed in more detail?
Sure!

List of fairy tales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And remember- Wikipedia allows folks to add entries if one knows of an appropriate addition to a page...

Old 02-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #16

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I drive a 2002 4-Runner V6 it can pull a 16ft trailer.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
LOL, that's what I thought!

On a serious note Danielle, you can view many of the forum members cars and trailers here on this thread.... Show Us Your Rigs
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
It is better to have too much towing capacity and never need it than to need it just once and not have it.
Lots of vehicles are capable of towing however remember to factor in a safety reserve

Amen to that statement!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
If it's a new vehicle make sure you check the owners manual as well and don't rely on the salesperson

We looked at a 2013 Nissan for our Scamp 13..I didn't even want to drive it but sales was sure it could tow.. Said the shop pot hitches on them all the time.. I said it's not rated to tow.. He got the manual from the office and.. Not rated or recommended to tow

Sadly many trailer sales people will tell you your current vehicle will tow their trailer just fine and vehicle sales people will say people tow with these all the time

Your own research and safety threshold plus factoring in the safety of other people on the road are what you need to look at. I read an article the other day that 800 people a year are killed in the US from improper hitching. One of the things that bothers me about our Scamp is the lack of a safety breakaway switch on it.. Standard on our Casita.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
We looked at a 2013 Nissan for our Scamp 13.

I read an article the other day that 800 people a year are killed in the US from improper hitching.
I'm surprised it is as low as 800. I read an article not to long ago that reported that less that 10% of the rigs on the roads today are connected optimally. That puts a huge number of loose canons out on the highways.

Brian, can I ask what Nissan vehicle you spoke about? Our Nissan's turned out to be great TV's.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
I believe it was an Altima. I went in hoping to see the new generation Pathfinder.
In the end we bought a VW wagon and decided to keep our Silverado for towing. At the time we were hoping to get one vehicle for towing and everyday driving and all we would be towing was our 13 Scamp and Little Guy Teardrop. Then..we bought a 17 Casita Spirit Deluxe with the monster tongue weight so we kept the truck.. As well as all the trailers.. Scamp is in storage for winter but hopefully sell it in the spring
Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Originally neither Casita or Scamp had break away switches. They are inexpensive and easy to add.

I've looked at trailer accidents a few times and the most common failure is not locking the trailer to the ball. As well travel trailer accidents seem to be a minority of trailer accidents. Improperly, typically un-braked, utility trailers were high on the list.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #23

Registry
I use a jeep wrangler with a 6 speed for our 1300 boler, works great we can go anywhere and literally have gone up mountains!! Crawled up washed out roads although our trailer has been a bit modes. Go with jeep

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Sounds interesting FK..... can you post some links where such concepts are discussed in more detail?

Just look up any posts with the words CanAm in them. They are a company in Canada that consider mfgs. towing values to be strictly suggestive.

If Ya wanna tow a 25' Airstream with a Smart car I am sure CanAm will build a hitch for you.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Just look up any posts with the words CanAm in them. They are a company in Canada that consider mfgs. towing values to be strictly suggestive.

If Ya wanna tow a 25' Airstream with a Smart car I am sure CanAm will build a hitch for you.
oh Bob you have the speak down pact! One would think MC1 might have written that himself
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I've been following these threads for some time.
I still haven't figured out why anyone would invest so much time trying to convince newbies that they should go against all accepted norms for towing a trailer. Go ahead, tow an Airstream with a Prius. What could go wrong?
Maybe they are trying to ensure a vacancies at campsites?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Refocus

Time to get back to the thread's purpose.

Danielle, there are many choices in tow vehicles. The tow vehicle will be defined by the characteristics of the trailer you tow and secondarily by the type of travel you do.

Normally one selects the trailer and than selects the tow vehicle. In my case I had the tow vehicle and selected a trailer the vehicle could tow. The more normal method of 'trailer selection followed by tow vehicle' is more appropriate. The range of trailers you are interested in is rather significant 17-22 feet.

As to the mocking of Can-AM RV they are a respected and successful company that publishes a lot of information about towing and tow vehicles. Their web site is well worth reading for information. There are many tips there that apply to any tow vehicle/trailer combination.

Wishing you well in your selection process.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've been following these threads for some time.
I still haven't figured out why anyone would invest so much time trying to convince newbies that they should go against all accepted norms for towing a trailer. Go ahead, tow an Airstream with a Prius. What could go wrong?
Maybe they are trying to ensure a vacancies at campsites?
I agree. Although I would add; Why would anyone listen to a bunch of strangers on this kind of important topic. Still, it keeps coming up, and up.

Tags
cars, suvs, towing, trucks, vehicles