What Cars Do You Drive? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Name: Danielle
Trailer: Currently Saving Up
Texas
What Cars Do You Drive?

Good Morning All!

I am on a budget trying to buy my first travel trailer buy July. Everything was going very well until my old car broke down. I was hoping it would make it until 2015 June but alas... it was not to be.

So I am trying to buy a car that could tow a theoretical trailer. I would like the trailer to be somewhere between 17ft to 22ft.

Basically, I am curious what cars/trucks/suvs anyone who tows drives, and what trailer/ trailer weight are they pulling with those cars/trucks/suvs.
Danielle8068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #2

Name: robert
Trailer: parkliner
Michigan
Danielle, today i just came across this link that another member posted on this site. Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

towing capacity of different vehicles are available from the maker's website, manual, or brochure. I have used this website also, but it is missing alot of vehicles, particularly cars.
Truck and SUV Towing Capacity Charts

bb
bbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

Michigan
i'm considering the jeep grand cherokee, which has a two capacity of 5000 lbs. Of course mpg is a concern, but i've found that the larger SUVs and trucks mpg is insignificantly lower than the smaller SUV but the interior space is much better. of note, there is a new cherokee with a diesel engine that gets 28 mpg and tows 6250! of course, it is pricey.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #4

Name: Danielle
Trailer: Currently Saving Up
Texas
bbbard
Thank you! I saw your calculator earlier when I was looking but since the there are so many options.. I book marked it for later use.

The chart is soooo extremely helpful for these first stages!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was wondering as I looked at MPG if the diffrence between the larger suvs and the smaller ones would really make that much diffrence over the year.

I wish I could afford a newer diesel.. lol I am still in the early years of my career and I'm a teacher. =) Great job, less pay.
Danielle8068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #5

Michigan
one more link---mpg comparisons. you can customize your driving habits and average cost of gasoline to get direct comparisons between vehicles and it tells you how much cash per year you'd save and how much it costs to drive 25 miles in it. also will compare e85 to unleaded if flex fuel vehicle (very discouraging!)
Compare Cars Side-by-Side
Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

Michigan
we're on the same wavelength! i was typing the above when you were asking for just that!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Danielle... There are lots of cars, suv's, trucks that will tow the size of trailer you are considering.
What kinds of vehicles do you like to drive or see yourself owning. How much do you want to spend? That would be a good place to start then we can determine where to go from there.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
We drive a 2012 Scion xB.

Have a 2002 Chevy Astro Van AWD for hauling family around
or letting them borrow when they come to town.

We tow with a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab with tow
package.

We pull a 2013 Lil Snoozy advertised to weigh 2000 dry.

We get 18-19 mpg driving the Tacoma
and get about 16 mpg average pulling the Snoozy.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Buying new or used? You can get a new v6 pickup for under $25k.

Might as well get something with at least 4500 or 5000 lb tow capacity, since it's better to have more than needed rather than find you you're just at the limit (or short of it). Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot and Ridgeline, and Chevy Traverse are all candidates. My '08 Highlander has towed 2500 to 3800 lbs for most of its 160k miles, and has done well until this year (when several fluid leaks have developed under the hood).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle8068 View Post
So I am trying to buy a car that could tow a theoretical trailer. I would like the trailer to be somewhere between 17ft to 22ft.
I think you'll find that most folks here towing in that size range are using pickups, bigger SUV's, or fullsized vans, Danielle.

Some of us with smaller trailers use less conventional tugs- Norm tows a 16' scamp with a Honda CRV, and I tow my 14' Trillium with a Kia Sportage. When you start getting up into the bigger sizes, barriers begin to appear for smaller vehicle-towing. Many such barriers have to do with rear axle capacity not up to the greater tongue weights involved.

There are those who think that such barriers can be overcome by clever re-engineering of the tow vehicle and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them. Since such modifications are not just controversial but as a rule very expensive, you'd do well to focus your search on vehicles already able to tow whatever trailer type/size you're interested in.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #11

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Danielle,

Here's a 23 page discussion, mostly centered on the Ford Escape, but it also has a lot of alternatives brought up: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ape-57074.html

The Ford Escape will pull your prospective 17 footer. Anything bigger and you're likely looking at a different tug.

Personally, I opted for a Nissan Frontier, because they were having a HUGE sale on two year old brand new ones at the time. Of course now I'm paying back some of all that $$$$ I saved because it drinks a bit more gas, but I'm using the pick-up's capabilities for hauling building supplies right now (kitchen remodel). I really don't drive that much to feel the pinch at the pump, but if I did I might have made a different choice.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #12

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I drive 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis and going to use it as a tow vehicle for Scamp 16'. I installed Airlift 1000 airbags, brake controller, class IV hitch and 7-way trailer connector on the vehicle.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
It is better to have too much towing capacity and never need it than to need it just once and not have it.
Lots of vehicles are capable of towing however remember to factor in a safety reserve
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

There are those who think that such barriers can be overcome by clever re-engineering of the tow vehicle and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them. Since such modifications are not just controversial but as a rule very expensive,
Sounds interesting FK..... can you post some links where such concepts are discussed in more detail?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Sounds interesting FK..... can you post some links where such concepts are discussed in more detail?
Sure!

List of fairy tales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And remember- Wikipedia allows folks to add entries if one knows of an appropriate addition to a page...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #16

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I drive a 2002 4-Runner V6 it can pull a 16ft trailer.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #17
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
LOL, that's what I thought!

On a serious note Danielle, you can view many of the forum members cars and trailers here on this thread.... http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-26772-56.html
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
It is better to have too much towing capacity and never need it than to need it just once and not have it.
Lots of vehicles are capable of towing however remember to factor in a safety reserve

Amen to that statement!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
If it's a new vehicle make sure you check the owners manual as well and don't rely on the salesperson

We looked at a 2013 Nissan for our Scamp 13..I didn't even want to drive it but sales was sure it could tow.. Said the shop pot hitches on them all the time.. I said it's not rated to tow.. He got the manual from the office and.. Not rated or recommended to tow

Sadly many trailer sales people will tell you your current vehicle will tow their trailer just fine and vehicle sales people will say people tow with these all the time

Your own research and safety threshold plus factoring in the safety of other people on the road are what you need to look at. I read an article the other day that 800 people a year are killed in the US from improper hitching. One of the things that bothers me about our Scamp is the lack of a safety breakaway switch on it.. Standard on our Casita.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
We looked at a 2013 Nissan for our Scamp 13.

I read an article the other day that 800 people a year are killed in the US from improper hitching.
I'm surprised it is as low as 800. I read an article not to long ago that reported that less that 10% of the rigs on the roads today are connected optimally. That puts a huge number of loose canons out on the highways.

Brian, can I ask what Nissan vehicle you spoke about? Our Nissan's turned out to be great TV's.

Tags
cars, suvs, towing, trucks, vehicles