What is the one thing (or two or three) that you cannot live without? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
One truly comfortable chair (think Lafuma recliner!) for outdoor living. ahhhhhh comfy now
Gosh, when you mentioned it on another thread, I looked them up, they are kind of expensive, but I don't think there is any better advertisement than those from actual users. My pension check was more than I expected, hmmm....

Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Monica, I've yet to hear from one Lafuma chair owner that would ever give it back. There are knock-offs, but I can't attest to the quality or comfort. I saved for a long time to buy my recliner... it was prior to being made fairly widely available in the U.S.A. I've never regretted the purchase. These are the same chairs and recliners sold in "Rest Your Back" stores, for people with back problems/ conditions. Your mileage may vary.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Monica, I've yet to hear from one Lafuma chair owner that would ever give it back. There are knock-offs, but I can't attest to the quality or comfort. I saved for a long time to buy my recliner... it was prior to being made fairly widely available in the U.S.A. I've never regretted the purchase. These are the same chairs and recliners sold in "Rest Your Back" stores, for people with back problems/ conditions. Your mileage may vary.

Is one model better than others? There are quite a few.

Pam
Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #18

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I found that the Scott brand of toilet paper (the "model" that comes in individual, paper-wrapped rolls) dissolved in water quite well, as did the Seventh Generation single rolls. I tested them (against others) by placing one sheet in a jar of water, giving a shake, and waiting.

Preparing for a long sail, the marine TP was not desirable because they do not pack that much onto a roll, and I needed to get maximum amount of paper stowed (three cases each of paper towels and toilet paper, as it turns out - got back and had one roll of TP left ).

Just another data point; not saying there's anything wrong with marine TP.

Oh, and although I tested the "dissolption" in water, we, too, put the paper in a special wastebasket, instead of flushing it, most of the time. Really saves space in the holding tank.

Raya

PS: Meant to add that although you'll get lots of help here, you can also Google things like "weight distributing hitch" and "inverter" and you'll get background information. You can use the "image" part of Google to get photos. That's what I often do just to get an idea what's being talked about.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
As far as sway bars and WDH, which is better for say a 16' or 17' Scamp or Casita? [b]Can I use both? I have no idea even what they look like so any pics would be appreciated also...
A lot will depend on your tow vehicle. My Honda Odyssey's owner's manual stated that due to front wheel drive, a [b]Weight[b] Distribution [b]Hitch is required to tow a trailer near the maximum weight rating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0636.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	18775
My rig parked beside Gina D's rig.

Name:	000_0639.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	18776
350 lb spring-arms.

Weight Distribution Hitches need to be sized to match your expected tongue weight. Many standard sized assemblies START
at [b]600 lb rating and go up. There are only a few that are rated for [b]400 lbs or less.
Look in an RV parts catalog for those advertised for pop-up trailers.

Name:	000_0640.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	18777
spring-arm with "across mounted" lift handle.

I also have a "Friction" Anti-sway Bar, but do not have it on the rig in this photograph. I find that I don't need it.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Is one model better than others? There are quite a few.

Pam
Mine is exactly like this one, only I paid nearly twice this much: Lafuma Futura Clipper, It's blue mesh. I didn't want one with padding (I have plenty of my own). I thought the mesh was a better choice for me since it was going to be used for camping... thought it might be good to just hose it off if necessary. Sure wish they made chairs like this only without the recliner leg portion. Maybe in the future.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #21

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
I second the Lafuma...
Also, a good cutting board. A wooden one doubles as a cheese board for your entertaining.

Marjie
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #22

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Monica,

A lot of this is so dependent on how you travel. How much you boondock, etc. And you as a person. The good thing is that you are not heading to sea, so there will be stores along the way, and you can buy things (and sell/pitch them, too).

1) A camper with no leaks and with good ventilation

2) A comfortable bed

3) Someplace comfy to read, with good light (not necessarily 110v). And reading material, of course.

4) A good sink

5) A good pan with a lid

6) Foot pump for water (haven't got this in camper yet, but extrapolating from boats. I like non-electric pumps for water conservation, but hand pumps drive me nuts for hand-washing)

7) A garden sprayer (for shower, rinsing things, washing, etc.

8) Assorted buckets, best if they "nest."

9) A place for everything and everything in its place (depends on how you define "thing" )

A few little things in addition to the digital stuff that has been mentioned. Not must haves, exactly, but nice and not much size/weight:

*Decks of cards

*Small indoor outdoor/min max thermometer/hygrometer (I have a really tiny one meant for a car). The sensor runs outside along with the electrical cord.

*Real glasses for drinking out of (at least sometimes; and only one or two, not full service for 12)

*Paper towels (I try to conserve on paper stuff, but paper towels rule)

*Hella Jetstream fan (or similar). Nice spot breeze and only draws .3 amp (for comparison, Endless Breeze draws about 1.5, although it obviously puts out a lot more air. The Jetstream is nice for sleeping, when you need a breeze, but it might be on for 8 hours, drawing amps. It's a 12 volt fan, meant for boats and nicely aimable. Not that an EB wouldn't be nice too

*Foamy can "coolers" --- and glass or plastic drinkwear sized so that it will fit into them too (don't always drink canned beverages, but they are great around glasses)

*kit of spices

*Collapsible 5-gallon water jugs (fold flattish when empty; useful for hauling water if necessary, or storing extra --- at least on a boat; haven't tried them in camper yet.

*Synthetic towel (like Packtowel). Thick and thirsty towels are great for home life, but take TONS of water to wash and stay damp forever.

*In warm climates, especially if humid: Nylon shorts and fleece sheets. Easy, quick washing and drying with minimal water. Don't get permanently damp like cotton. Fleece sheets, contrary to what you'd think, feel dry and cool when it's hot and muggy.

Okay, I'll stop now before I fill up your li'l egg

Raya
Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi again - an couple added notes to the great TP debate ... there was once a thread here giving the results of a 'breakdown' test and IIRC, the winner was single-ply ScotTissue. We also go for fewer/smaller rather than bulk/cheaper - just our preference.

Friends who had a very 'cranky' septic system on their hobby farm always use a wastebasket for TP instead of flushing it - just used a ziplock if needed. Sounds to us like a very good way to prevent 'buildup' of additional solid waste in the black tank.

Oh, yeah - La Fuma! If we upgrade to a slightly larger tug, that's #1 on the list of additions.

Monica - have you checked the "for sale" links and referrals here lately - there is a side-bath 16ft Scamp in Phoenix are. Happy hunting! L 'n D
Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Hi again - an couple added notes to the great TP debate ... there was once a thread here giving the results of a 'breakdown' test and IIRC, the winner was single-ply ScotTissue. We also go for fewer/smaller rather than bulk/cheaper - just our preference.

Friends who had a very 'cranky' septic system on their hobby farm always use a wastebasket for TP instead of flushing it - just used a ziplock if needed. Sounds to us like a very good way to prevent 'buildup' of additional solid waste in the black tank.

Oh, yeah - La Fuma! If we upgrade to a slightly larger tug, that's #1 on the list of additions.

Monica - have you checked the "for sale" links and referrals here lately - there is a side-bath 16ft Scamp in Phoenix are. Happy hunting! L 'n D
Thanks for all the info and good advice, I am investigating each and every thing people are suggesting.

Regarding my "happy hunting", please check my newest thread....
Old 03-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Oh-ho ... just saw the 'announcement'! Way to go, Monica - now, hit the road! Look forward to meeting you and getting the Grand Tour in Bandera. Now ... every new baby needs a name, and ... BABY PICTURES! Congrats - L 'n D
Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Oh-ho ... just saw the 'announcement'! Way to go, Monica - now, hit the road! Look forward to meeting you and getting the Grand Tour in Bandera. Now ... every new baby needs a name, and ... BABY PICTURES! Congrats - L 'n D
Baby pictures will be forthcoming (if I can learn how to post them here, you might have to settle for a photobucket link) by the end of next week.

I am VERY fortunate to have found her so close to home. I will be traveling to my hometown (about 100 miles from me) where I have friends that know all about trailers as I am clueless on how propane, battery and all works. I plan to stay there in the desert for a couple of weeks, taking notes, practicing backing it up, driving roads I know and setting up a solar unit with the help of my knowledgable friends. When I am ready, it is TX to Escapees, set all that up and register my vehicles there in TX, then to AL to see family that I haven't seen in more than 10 years, then OH to see a friend, then across the country, depending on weather, to see my older brother in Northern CA. So far that is all I got for plans, and some of that may change, but at least now I have the opportunity. Bandera, I believe, would be a GREAT benefit to me. I get to meet so many of you and if I have any questions I know where to find you. I need to look again at the dates and make sure it is doable before I make my reservations, but I am really going to try, it is high on the priority list.

Hey, my new girl needs a bath, and as I will not have a home just as soon as I pick her up...how do you all suggest I find a place? One of those "bay" style car washes with the pressure washers that I control with coins? That is the only thing I can think of right now...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #27

Okay, what do you all think about this..

I own two of these

http://www.table-mate.com/html/index.php?vSec=about

My plans are to take them, I think they could be very handy camping and multi-use. For my laptop outdoors for instance, and a table when I have visitors (often). They are light weight, assemble and disassemble easily, take up almost no room. I really can see myself using them...of course, if I don't, then I will rid myself of them, but right off the bat, what do you all think? I value your opinion.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #28

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
North Dakota
Quote:
Hi,
I second the Lafuma...
Also, a good cutting board. A wooden one doubles as a cheese board for your entertaining.

Marjie
I've got Gander Mountain's version of the chair--and I love it. I got it on sale, so it wasn't that expensive. Since it's winter, the chair is in my office, which is lovely.

And I second the cutting board--mine spends most of its time over my sink, which gives me extra counter space in addition to its culinary applications.

-k