What lessons have you learned full-timing? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Oh, and the one thing I do make room for are actual books. I read for hours every evening. I prefer turning pages, so I learned all of the ways to get free or really cheap books (cost a quarter or ten cents). Thrift stores are really cheap. Most places where snowbirds congregate have book swaps also. Library book sales are also cheap. When I am done with the books, I donate them back to one of these places and just keep the cycle going.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica M View Post
I even put the ziploc bags in ziploc bags and ditch the box they came in.
That right there is thinking "outside the box" (pun intended)!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #23

Name: Ellen
Trailer: Scamp 13
No Fixed Abode
I love ziploc bags. We can definitely cram more stuff in the fridge that way. However, I do hate the waste as you can reuse plastic containers. With ziploc bags I'll wash and reuse sometimes, but I do end up throwing a lot away.
CynicalSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I go along with those that appreciate organization (although if you look in my storage cabinets you might not believe it). In any case, making the bed each morning, doing the dishes after a meal, and keeping the floor clean is important to me. For anyone that saw my desk or electronics bench back when I was working, it would be hard to believe I've become a "neatnik", but keeping things in order does make life in a small trailer better.

As to reading, I do real, paper books. Tried electronic, but just can't get comfortable with them. It's not that I'm a technophobe - I post a daily journal on my web page while traveling & read many RV & photo related forums, but somehow a book on a tablet doesn't work. I usually carry 15 - 20 books & exchange them at laundries, library & used book sales, etc. I trade or give away books after I read them, but usually end up with more by the end of a trip than I started with. I keep a list of authors/book titles on a database on my iPhone - at my age I can't remember every one I read (1593 over the last 6 years) so the database keeps me from buying/exchanging books I've already read. Of course, again at my age, if it had been more than a couple of years I can read it like a new book!

Lastly, I need to explore. If I'm in a campground, I always stop & talk with the campground host to find interesting places, happenings, etc in the area. How else would I have discovered concrete canoe races on a lake in California?

Like Norm & Ginny, I don't full time, but travel for long trips and try to find new & different places, things to do, etc although I'm perfectly content to sit around a campsite and spend the day reading. I rarely stay in one location for more than a couple of days before I get the "itch" to find something new. Having the hobby of landscape photography gives me an excuse to explore.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #25

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Arizona
Reality Check

Been full timing for almost 8 years and living next to your neighbors in an RV park is awful. You are packed in like sardines in a can. Rights?...you have hardly any as you are a renter. They tell you, "if you don't like it, there's the road, you got wheels under your home". But where do you go when you leave that park? The one down the road is just as bad, maybe worse? Your only hope is Boondocking. Find a friend to camp with you and you got it made. This way there is always someone at camp looking after things when one is in town buying supplies. What things you might say? George Carlin said it best..."your stuff". Living this life is all about being as free as possible, but don't forget about your stuff. With out our stuff we are lost. Once you have Boondocked for awhile you will begin to look at other rigs with a gleem in your eye. You will want to 'trade up' (get a bigger rig) because the one you have doesn't have enough room for...you guessed it... "all your stuff". Now instead of a one axle rig you have got to get a two axle rig. Now you must trade up your tow vehicle too so you can pull...you guessed it...all your stuff. Now Boondocking places are harder to find because you are pulling a 5th wheel with a one ton four wheel drive gas guzzeling truck. Are you beginning to see the trend here? My advice is to just stay home. When you graduate from high school just stay home, like so many youngsters are doing now days. They realize it is a hopeless cause...parents and grandparents listen to the youth of this country, its not worth it... just stay home
Rattlesnake Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
As to reading, I do real, paper books. Tried electronic, but just can't get comfortable with them. It's not that I'm a technophobe - I post a daily journal on my web page while traveling & read many RV & photo related forums, but somehow a book on a tablet doesn't work.
I understand completely, but have been trying to read more off my computer lately. I bought a huge (17") laptop as I was more interested in having a portable computer than a really handy one. I like it as it is a touch screen and I can expand things out until I can actually read them without my "cheaters". After a long day of eye strain it is nice and comfortable in the evening to be able to read without wearing glasses. All I need now is to figure out how to change the background color to something less harsh than white. I bet my 11 year old knows how to do it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Taking a different path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Joe View Post
Been full timing for almost 8 years and living next to your neighbors in an RV park is awful. You are packed in like sardines in a can. Rights?...you have hardly any as you are a renter. They tell you, "if you don't like it, there's the road, you got wheels under your home". But where do you go when you leave that park? The one down the road is just as bad, maybe worse? Your only hope is Boondocking. Find a friend to camp with you and you got it made. This way there is always someone at camp looking after things when one is in town buying supplies. What things you might say? George Carlin said it best..."your stuff". Living this life is all about being as free as possible, but don't forget about your stuff. With out our stuff we are lost. Once you have Boondocked for awhile you will begin to look at other rigs with a gleem in your eye. You will want to 'trade up' (get a bigger rig) because the one you have doesn't have enough room for...you guessed it... "all your stuff". Now instead of a one axle rig you have got to get a two axle rig. Now you must trade up your tow vehicle too so you can pull...you guessed it...all your stuff. Now Boondocking places are harder to find because you are pulling a 5th wheel with a one ton four wheel drive gas guzzeling truck. Are you beginning to see the trend here? My advice is to just stay home. When you graduate from high school just stay home, like so many youngsters are doing now days. They realize it is a hopeless cause...parents and grandparents listen to the youth of this country, its not worth it... just stay home

I read your post and felt bad. There are numerous ways to deal with this situation. One thing we do is to travel a lot during the off season for most people. We are often camping alone. In May and June in Newfoundland we are often the only ones and always one of a few campers in the camp ground. The only time we find crowds any where is when we travel during the summer camping season, since we're not full timers, only 8 months a year, we travel during the season when fewer are camping.

Over our 14 years we have also found a number of campgrounds with huge sites, like Rusty's RV Ranch near Rodeo and the Chirachua mountains. Also both sides of the Chirachuas have campgrounds that are rarely full and sometimes empty.

Another large site park is McDowell Mountain County Park outside of Fountain Hills, AZ.

There are also tons of great boondocking places.

I could go on and on about empty campgrounds, part of it is choosing the less traveled time and route.

Another thing we do is travel as Escapees. They have 10 coop parks all with huge sites and friendly people and reasonable prices.

I could go through our travel logs and I'm sure point to places you would love like Cape Blanco State Park in Oregon, mostly private sties near one of Oregon's most beautiful spots, or Henderson Beach State Park in FL panhandle,,,, all back ins among Florida vegetation just behind the dunes. (one of the advantages of being a member of Escapees is the large membership know about these kinds of places and shares.

Hoping this helps you

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #28

Florida
Quote:
This way there is always someone at camp looking after things when one is in town buying supplies. What things you might say? George Carlin said it best..."your stuff". Living this life is all about being as free as possible, but don't forget about your stuff. With out our stuff we are lost. Once you have Boondocked for awhile you will begin to look at other rigs with a gleem in your eye. You will want to 'trade up' (get a bigger rig) because the one you have doesn't have enough room for...you guessed it... "all your stuff". Now instead of a one axle rig you have got to get a two axle rig. Now you must trade up your tow vehicle too so you can pull...you guessed it...all your stuff.
Stuff is a state of mind. I believe fulltiming requires a change of state particularly if you've chosen a small trailer. We downsized from a motor home to a small trailer and have never felt we wanted to go back.

We reduced our stuff in going small and are happier than ever. We have never developed two foot-itis. We fit just fine in our Scamp 16 and given the will to change could even go smaller. After a year of traveling in our first small trailer we knew it was the way on every level.

I know I very fortunate to have Ginny, but we're absolutely happy together. Neither of us needs more space, more clothes, more privacy...more stuff. Even in a crowded camp ground it's really about our fun together. When we have neighbors we are interested in them, wondering about their lives and ways. We tend not to be intrusive but definitely friendly.

We still have a home, but I'm never anxious to return and ready to go again in a few weeks. Our primary purpose with our home is to see (mostly) family and old friends. The stuff is a burden. We're selling it this summer and all the accumulated stuff must go (wondering what to do with all those oil paintings).

If you seriously seek solitude of RVing their are more places to go than you can imagine. We drive 1000s of miles of roads where you can just pull over, many by pristine lakes that never see a single fishing boat.

I'm sure the real travelers on this site can tell you many. AS well you can go to the Escapee Forum and ask the full timers there.

Really most of the world is very empty if that's what you seek.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hah! I am looking to go a bit bigger in the next few years. I will have to get a larger tow vehicle too. BUT! I am a VERY social person, I have a lot of cookouts and enjoy being with other people. My need for bigger is actually so I can have company! I have many friends that are still living in sticks and bricks that want to join me at different destinations for a few days, but do not want to tent it. Most are older and need a bed. I also want a place to put daily usage things like a dirty clothes basket/hamper. I just had to move it from my seat so I could get on the computer. Since I cook for many, and often, I really could use SOME counter space, a two sided sink and an extra burner. Also some larger cookware since my storage is too small for anything bigger than a quart sized pot and a few smaller skillets/pots. I would also like more storage so that I can load up on food/supplies before boondocking for long periods, making the dreadful trips to town less frequent.

So, to each their own. By the time I move up to maybe a 21' or 23', I will have lived in my little Scamp for 10 years. I have learned a lot and in a way feel like my desire for bigger is insulting to my Scamp. But I NEED people and socialization to be happy. Why travel to great places and meet new people if you can't be happy doing it? That is the question I had to ask myself when I started thinking about moving up.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #30

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for an Oliver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have enjoyed this casita owner channel wtih good info.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRP...3DfCPmg/videos
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #32

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

We sort of full time ; )

As some of you know Cari and I have been living full time in a large (40ft) fifth wheel since 2011 currently parked at a golf/rv resort about 5 miles from our employer on the Oregon coast. We did lots of research and wanted to do a tiny house but the zoning laws would not allow it (they said it would bring down the value of area homes). Anywhoo...we did the next best thing and really luv living large in a small cozy place.

The attachment to this post is a picture out of our breakfast nook window. Yes we actually have a nice private yard and the deer come and visit often. With finches, doves, humming birds nearly all daylight hours at feeders.

Once a month from spring thaw to fall freeze we take our Adventure Rig some of you have seen at the Oregon gatherings. Our Van conversion is still Cari's daily driver and we will hook up the Parkliner for most trips. Some, like next month's, is planned as a van-only + hammocks/tarps. We do this often just to break up the routine (Van+TT).

OH, so what have we learned? Like many have stated already...
Compatibility with a partner is tops if you are going to bring one along!
A place for everything and everything in its place.
First in / First out thingy. Great on the budget too : )
Books... lots of books. . . on our two Kindles
Laptops and iPads galore for entertainment and such (iPads/Galaxy Tabs are used for movies while on the go. 55" tv when in the big rig.

: ) Thom
Attached Thumbnails
TESLAviewDeer.jpg  
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #33

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
@honda03842,

Do you find many nice boondocking places on the East coast of the US? The population is more dense, and we don't have the wide expanses of land like out West or BLM land for free. I'm interested in your take on this... are you resolved to pay for campsites on the East coast? Thx.
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #34

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
there is something called f.lux for computers that can change the hue of the the whole display, It can even change as the sun goes down to a colour that helps keep the computers display from effecting your sleep patterns and melatonin levels. I find it barely noticeable in use but helps my eyes a lot. Your 11 year old will of course have to tell you if it will work with your computer
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #35

Florida
East Coast Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
@honda03842,

Do you find many nice boondocking places on the East coast of the US? The population is more dense, and we don't have the wide expanses of land like out West or BLM land for free. I'm interested in your take on this... are you resolved to pay for campsites on the East coast? Thx.
Practically all of our (North)east coast camping happened when we were just starting out and was group camping with friends. If you're really into the Northeast (NL) there is basically tons of boondocking spots.

Escapees has a group called Days End that has numerous free or very low cost camping sites. There are other clubs or websites like Days End.

Over the years we have a list of low cost camping sites, and if it's cold we seek power everytime.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #36

Connecticut
I guess I am 1hr north of NYC and don't see a lot of boondocking opportunities in these parts. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Practically all of our (North)east coast camping happened when we were just starting out and was group camping with friends. If you're really into the Northeast (NL) there is basically tons of boondocking spots.

Escapees has a group called Days End that has numerous free or very low cost camping sites. There are other clubs or websites like Days End.

Over the years we have a list of low cost camping sites, and if it's cold we seek power everytime.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:09 AM   #37

Florida
Bryce,

I just joined Days End and will take a look at opportunities in the Northeast. I just found out that Maine has a higher percentage of forest than any state in the nation. Maybe there are opportunities there, as Northeast as you can get in the east.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #38

Connecticut
I would believe that about Maine, I climbed Mt. Katahdin and there isn't much out there but forest, haha.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #39

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Many places in the NorthWoods, unfortunately they charge you to enter so it's not really free. At least they did when I entered up at the Allagash.

Also some in the Green Mts and there used to be a small area where you could park on the side of an unused road in the Whites. Last I looked it was not listed on their website as dispersed camping anymore.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #40

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
This is exactly why I don't do "stuff". When in doubt, I always downsize. If something I've acquired leads me to think about upsizing, I get rid of that thing asap! No stuff = more freedom!