Which model would you get for boondocking? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Escape is usually very open to custom mods.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
If you would consider a 17 foot trailer, the Escape 17A model may work for you. It has a permanent bed, a four person dinette and NO bathroom.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoreweexplore View Post
...I wish I could get one without a wet bath...
Without a wet bath is easy. With a dry bath… that's another proposition. I think… I'm not sure… that the larger Bigfoots (21' and 25') are the only options in molded fiberglass with dry baths.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #18

Name: Themore
Trailer: shopping
Utah
good point. I shouldn't say "without a wet bath." What I'd really like is a dry bath so we can run a Nature's Head composting toilet in one.

We'll have to check out bigfoots. We're reluctant to go stick built, but for our needs, there aren't a ton of options for us in the fiberglass category.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, this is really helping us.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Most Bigfoot's are fibreglass.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
The escapees look great. I wish I could get one without a wet bath. I'll give 'em a call and see if that's even an option.
While you could get them to eliminate the wet bath, you would not get another bath option. I absolutely love have the wet bath, and like it as small as usably possible, as it allows for more open space inside, with the added space offering more storage.

You seem to be set on a composting toilet. If you were to eliminate this criteria, you would find lots of great options to suit your needs, as has most everyone else here. If you do a search here, you will find a lot of discussion on these toilets. My take is that they are a great thing in a remote home, but not very practical in a trailer of any kind, let alone a moulded fibreglass one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #21

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
I'm curious where you got the idea that the Oliver does not have a permanent queen size bed plus a side dinette. Also after looking at the Nature's Head, I'm unclear why you couldn't use it in a wet bath. When I use the shower in our bath even the toilet lid hardly gets wet. It would fit perfectly where the standard toilet sits.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #22

Utah
After talking to Oliver, a nature's head will sit around 28" high. I'm wary to get a toilet with an electric fan on it wet.

While the oliver's dinette can be converted to a queen size bed, it's not the same as a traditional trailer with a bed. You can't walk around it, it butts up to the kitchen counter; it just seems a tiny bit too tight in there for living day after day for years.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #23

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
I do agree that living in a trailer would be tight for full time living. Although there are plenty of people out there that do it, none of these trailers are designed with that in mind. The closest you might come to a walk around bed (no climbing over each other) is what we have in our unit, twin beds, no option for a rear dinette. We eat at the side dinette. There is my wife and myself in addition to the three dogs (one at 100lb) but having come from the smaller 17 footer, it's a big step up in size. And though we plan to travel months at a time, I could not imagine trying to live long term in that small a space.

Good luck on your quest. With a $55K budget you should be able to get a pretty well tricked out Bigfoot or Oliver and certainly any of the others.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #24

Utah
Thanks. The twin bed on the oliver looks like a great setup, but I like to sleep right next to my wife.

We're excited to check out a bigfoot in person, they sound great. If only Oliver made a 25 foot model with a little more elbow room in there. All my info about olivers is from scouring the web, I've never seen one in person, but they look phenomenal. I like the lack of wallpaper, no tacky drapes, the great ground clearance, the design is fantastic, i like that you can get them with solar, and they look like they have fantastic build quality.

Thanks for the encouragement and info.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
You want a Bigfoot!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #26

Utah
Bigfoot and Oliver are at the top of our "want to check out" lists.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #27

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
I'm wary to get a toilet with an electric fan on it wet..
greetings,
I'm a fan of the separating toilet idea and is what my wife and I have incorporated into both our van & our trailer. Getting the natures head or the air head wet is no bother and they are in use in custom class b van conversions by a company in Oregon called Outside Van.

Here is a photo from there website showing a separating/composting toilet in their standard wet bath:

Best wishes on the hunt. Our little 15ft Parkliner has a full time queen bed layout if desired, plus side dinette, and wet bath with room for our potty. It's not so hard to do with a bit of ingenuity.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
. We also don't want a wet bath.
Why? For the little time you spend in a bathroom I would give up full bathroom space for a wet bath any day if it meant I got more kitchen counter space or a bigger bed for example. A wet bath often translates to a lighter trailer which is usually better for off road camping as well. When dry camping you don't spend a lot of time in the shower either due to the need to conserve water.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking