Which model would you get for boondocking? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #1

Name: Themore
Trailer: shopping
Utah
Which model would you get for boondocking?

We'll be fulltiming in a travel trailer soon. We're not huge fans of stick-built trailers, and we don't know much about fiberglass models.

Does anyone make a model that is geared toward boondocking? We'd love one with more ground clearance, no black tank with a composting toilet, tons of solar panels and inverters and batteries, good insulation, and good use of space so it feels roomy when we're stuck inside in a rainstorm.

I know, I'm asking a lot, and most trailers aren't built with my demographic in mind, but there's a HUGE market for it with us and our peers.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Many, if not most of us "Boon Dock", meaning spending time without hook-ups, from some of the time to all of the time.

However the accessories and modifications you describe aren't included in the factory lists of any of the current (or even past that I know of) FGRV builders, all of which are currently enjoying delivery backorder times of up to a year. One is already sold out for all 2016 production and isn't even taking further orders.

Best bet might be to identify the size and floor plan you need and do your own modifications to an existing unit from there.

Give us some additional clues as to what you want in terms of size, and an approximate budget, and help will be forth coming.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #3

Utah
Thanks for the info Bob. We're thinking 19-25 feet. I'd like a permanent bed (not a dinette that we have to convert every day). Lots of windows are a plus. We also don't want a wet bath.

We want a quality trailer more than budget offering (though who doesn't enjoy saving money!) We're ok buying used or new. I'd say our budget is $55k.

We're looking at the bigfoot 2500 25B25RQ or the 25B25FB. We would love to see one in person.

From what we've seen online, the olivers look like fantastic trailers, with a lot of options we'd like, but we wish they had a permanent bed. We realize you can leave the dinette down all the time, but I think that'd get tiresome day in and day out.

Do the bigfoots have decent ground clearance? Do any of the plumbing pipes hang down pretty low?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #4

Utah
Here's our big detailed post: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-71704.html
Old 09-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
With both the Oliver and Bigfoot models the axle can easily be mounted under the springs witch would give additional ground clearance. I think both manufacturers would be willing to accommodate this but I suspect the standard suspension would be adequate for most people. You'll find more Bigfoot trailers "out west" simply because they are built west of the Mississippi. Both Oliver and Bigfoot are premium quality trailers. Personally I would rate both brands as better than Airstream. Just my opinion.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #6

Utah
That's great to know. I'm not afraid of a spring-over axle suspension. It won't ride quite as nice, and it'll have a higher COG, but the increased ground clearance will be welcome. Maybe we'll leave it stock and see how it does, with the option to flip the axle if it's ever needed. Great idea.

We may just have to make the 6 hour drive to the nearest dealer to check out a bigfoot.

We love the aesthetics of the olivers, but the wet bath is a deal-breaker. If only they made a 22' model without a wet bath and with a dedicated queen size mattress.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoreweexplore View Post

We love the aesthetics of the olivers, but the wet bath is a deal-breaker. If only they made a 22' model without a wet bath and with a dedicated queen size mattress.
What makes you think they won't? You should call them. Leaving the bath out might be something they would consider. Also take a look at the Casita Liberty standard (no bath). While at 17' it can be reconfigured into a king size bed as I recall. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #8

Utah
Thanks P. Raz, we'll look into that. We emailed Oliver about making a 22' model for us, but we only reached a salesperson. They weren't interested in making anything beyond their 2 standard models (which makes sense.)
Old 09-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Yeah, I'm biased.
My ideal boondocking trailer would be a 1980 Trillium 4500 with a front dinette. The front dinette means that the nearly queen sized bed can stay a bed. A hot water heater in the rear of one of the rear dinette seats, and a cargo door into the other rear dinette seat, and ton of solar on the roof, you would be set.

Showers can be done this way:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-39176.html

Or in a separate shower tent.

Not a four season solution, but I figure if your mobile, then head south when it gets cold.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #10

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
???

a wet bath is a dealbreaker??? Have you ever tried/lived with one???
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #11

Utah
A wet bath is a dealbreaker if we want to run a composting toilet (which we do). We've never lived in a trailer, let alone one with a wet bath. We're trying to do our research now so we get just what we want.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #12

Utah
I think i misspoke. It looks like the larger oliver model doesn't have a wet bath. That's good news. I still think I'd prefer a dedicated bedroom that isn't a converted dinette.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I've been thinking about an Escape 19. Still towable by my Flex, a permanent bed and 4 place dining table at the same time, lots of upgrade options to pick and choose from. Not outrageously expensive compared to an Oliver.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #14

Utah
The escapees look great. I wish I could get one without a wet bath. I'll give 'em a call and see if that's even an option.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Escape is usually very open to custom mods.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
If you would consider a 17 foot trailer, the Escape 17A model may work for you. It has a permanent bed, a four person dinette and NO bathroom.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...I wish I could get one without a wet bath...
Without a wet bath is easy. With a dry bath… that's another proposition. I think… I'm not sure… that the larger Bigfoots (21' and 25') are the only options in molded fiberglass with dry baths.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #18

Utah
good point. I shouldn't say "without a wet bath." What I'd really like is a dry bath so we can run a Nature's Head composting toilet in one.

We'll have to check out bigfoots. We're reluctant to go stick built, but for our needs, there aren't a ton of options for us in the fiberglass category.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, this is really helping us.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Most Bigfoot's are fibreglass.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
The escapees look great. I wish I could get one without a wet bath. I'll give 'em a call and see if that's even an option.
While you could get them to eliminate the wet bath, you would not get another bath option. I absolutely love have the wet bath, and like it as small as usably possible, as it allows for more open space inside, with the added space offering more storage.

You seem to be set on a composting toilet. If you were to eliminate this criteria, you would find lots of great options to suit your needs, as has most everyone else here. If you do a search here, you will find a lot of discussion on these toilets. My take is that they are a great thing in a remote home, but not very practical in a trailer of any kind, let alone a moulded fibreglass one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking