Which states have mild winters and no tornadoes? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Which states have mild winters and no tornadoes?

I will probably move from the North East to somewhere else. I'm mostly a creature of the East Coast, but could go West. I work in IT, so it helps if there are companies around.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Have to go out west of the Rockies.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #3

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
There is no absolutely perfect place. All places have their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Have to go out west of the Rockies.
Yeah I'm thinking Arizona or Nevada. I don't mind micro-bursts, that might blow me down the road. I just don't want to get sucked up in to the sky and dropped on my head.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
North Carolina. Ocean to the east, mountains to the west. Mild winters. Hot summers. Lots of industry and colleges. The down side, unlike Jersey, it's tough to find a good pizza. But the BBQ makes up for it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Chandler, AZ, is a tech-oriented Phoenix suburb. Winters definitely qualify as mild, but summers can be brutal. Mid-elevation regions of the state- Prescott, for example- have what I consider almost the perfect mild 4-season climate but no major urban areas, so fewer jobs.

Tucson, AZ is a mid-sized city with a small town feel and a major university Summers are a bit less punishing than Phoenix. Albuquerque, NM is cooler and also home to a major university. Brush up on your Spanish if you're headed to Tucson or Albuquerque!

Throughout the region, local climate is elevation dependent. Phoenix is 1100', Las Vegas is 2000', Tucson is 2500', Prescott, Albuquerque, and my home are 5300', Flagstaff is 7000'. Below 3500' you're basically in desert, with very mild winters and blazing summers. 3500-6500' you have a mild 4-season climate with occasional snow and below-freezing nights in winter. Above 6500' you're getting into real winter (still much milder than Midwest or Northeast winters, but cold enough to rule out year-round use of a 3-season trailer).

Wildfire is the primary natural hazard, affecting mainly mid- and high-elevation regions of the Southwest.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
North Carolina. Ocean to the east, mountains to the west. Mild winters. Hot summers. Lots of industry and colleges. The down side, unlike Jersey, it's tough to find a good pizza. But the BBQ makes up for it. Raz
I have to agree the summers are hot , the BBQ pork is not bad , and the pizza leaves a lot to be desired . I do like NC's BBQ sauce but their corn on the cob is a little overcooked for my taste.
Now that we are retired , we have thought of moving .
The only place my wife and I have agreed to is Upstate New York
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Now that we are retired , we have thought of moving .
The only place my wife and I have agreed to is Upstate New York
We refer to our location as "upstate NY, as we are 125 miles north of New York City and near the MA border. Haven't been home in the winter for the last 7 years, but plan to do so next winter. Not all that bad in our area, many storms either pass by to the north or south and miss us. Summers are nice, and we are within a few hours of the Adirondacks or the coast of Maine. Come on over for a visit Steve.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We refer to our location as "upstate NY, as we are 125 miles north of New York City and near the MA border. Haven't been home in the winter for the last 7 years, but plan to do so next winter. Not all that bad in our area, many storms either pass by to the north or south and miss us. Summers are nice, and we are within a few hours of the Adirondacks or the coast of Maine. Come on over for a visit Steve.
It seem many only think of moving south when they retire .
My 3 Aunts (Mom's sisters) moved to a warmer climate in their later years and after their spouses had passed on. Within 3 years all 3 moved back to Minnesota . They missed the change of seasons and found the climate in other areas boring and stressful.( Medical Conditions ) I suspect they also missed family and friends.
We have been to upper NY twice and found it beautiful , charming and sort of quaint in a good way .
We had planned a 2 month trip to the New England States last year but some medical issues put a hold on that idea.
Hopefully in the near future , we can make our dream trip happen
We have seen quite a bit of the US and Canada. Some parts of the US were wonderful others not so much so . We are sure New England will be on the wonderful side of the ledger .
My recommendation to you is to visit Oregon.
A beautiful state with very friendly people . Oregon has wonderful State Parks and really tries to make visitors feel welcome.
I love the fact that Oregon does not treat out of state visitors like a CASH COW as some SE states do !!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Not sure that NC fits the "no tornadoes" part of the request...
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #11

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
There is always Oklahoma, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, hot dry summers, cold windy winters, red clay soil. Live there a couple of years (I grew up there) and every other place looks good.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Raz you are usually spot on but this time you really missed the mark

There are a lot of really great pizza places here in North Carolina. Of course they are all run by people from NY (or at least sound like they do) . My two local favorites are "Brooklyn Boys" and "Giovanni's." They are every bit as good as the places back home in New York.

For the area from Charlotte to Raleigh there is a lot to recommend for people who want to relocate, but there is also the occasional tornado.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Raz you are usually spot on but this time you really missed the mark

There are a lot of really great pizza places here in North Carolina. Of course they are all run by people from NY (or at least sound like they do) . My two local favorites are "Brooklyn Boys" and "Giovanni's." They are every bit as good as the places back home in New York.

For the area from Charlotte to Raleigh there is a lot to recommend for people who want to relocate, but there is also the occasional tornado.
The two best pizzas in the US come from New York City
or Chicago , Illinois. Just because something looks like a pizza , sorta smells like a pizza , taste similar to a pizza and it is made by someone named Tony does NOT make it a pizza .
RAZ was 100% spot on.
Another thing you cannot get in the southern US is a real , coarse ground , old fashioned , hardwood smoked , skin on hot dog or a genuine natural casing bratwurst . At least that has been my experience. Everytime I asked for skin on hot dogs , I got a look like I was speaking a foreign language .
Old 01-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Another thing you cannot get in the southern US is a real , coarse ground , old fashioned , hardwood smoked , skin on hot dog or a genuine natural casing bratwurst .
I beg to differ. New Braunfels is a smaller town northeast of San Antonio. It was settled by german immigrants, and has a rich german culinary history. Some of the best brats you will ever eat come from New Braunfels. Check out Wurstfest every October.

There's also Fredericksburg, a small town in the Texas Hill Country, maybe an hour northwest of us. Also a town settled by german immigrants, and it also has outstanding brats, dogs and sausage. I've been all over Germany, and their sausage wasn't any better.

Or maybe south Texas doesn't qualify as the southern US?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #15

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I beg to differ. New Braunfels is a smaller town northeast of San Antonio. It was settled by german immigrants, and has a rich german culinary history. Some of the best brats you will ever eat come from New Braunfels. Check out Wurstfest every October.

There's also Fredericksburg, a small town in the Texas Hill Country, maybe an hour northwest of us. Also a town settled by german immigrants, and it also has outstanding brats, dogs and sausage. I've been all over Germany, and their sausage wasn't any better.

Or maybe south Texas doesn't qualify as the southern US?
And here Herman's meat market and Geier's Sausage Kitchen both make sausages and wurst and brats on site. I've tried quite a few of items from both places and they are excellent. I will not eat Blutwurst AKA blood sausage. Sorry I just never acquired the taste for that. My parents and Grandparents loved it.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #16

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
The ones that have wild fires. Flash floods, mud slides and Huricanes.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #17

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
New Braunfels,
Lived 8 years in Germany and attended the New Braunfels fest and I can attest to the great brats thay had.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Where we live in the mountains of NC (think Asheville vicinity), we are full of "halfbacks".

Halfbacks are people that moved from the NE to retire in Florida, only to realize they didn't really like Florida, so they moved half way back.

In the east, the NC mountains are really hard to beat. Avoid the heat in the summer, in return we do get some winter weather, mild compared to the NE.

Want the best weather year round and no tornadoes? San Diego.... Kind of pricey.. And crowded... And its California...

Want a great job? Then either Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC. Both are hotter in the summer and winter too. Lived in Greenville for many years.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Which states have mild winters and no tornadoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto View Post
The ones that have wild fires. Flash floods, mud slides and Huricanes.
LOL... there's always something!

I think one becomes accustomed to the dangers one is familiar with. For example, I do not worry overmuch about wildfires because (1) I know when the risk is high, (2) I have appropriate alerts set up on my phone, and (3) I have a plan of action if one does break out, and that plan has been implemented more than once.

Like the OP, tornadoes scare me. I've never lived where they occur, so they are a strange terror to me.

Then there are earthquakes, flash floods, sinkholes, avalanches, volcanoes, lightning, alien abductions... what's a man to do?!

Of course, the most dangerous place of all is the highway as you drive to your camping spot. Statistically speaking.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The two best pizzas in the US come from New York City
or Chicago , Illinois. Just because something looks like a pizza , sorta smells like a pizza , taste similar to a pizza and it is made by someone named Tony does NOT make it a pizza .
RAZ was 100% spot on.
Another thing you cannot get in the southern US is a real , coarse ground , old fashioned , hardwood smoked , skin on hot dog or a genuine natural casing bratwurst . At least that has been my experience. Everytime I asked for skin on hot dogs , I got a look like I was speaking a foreign language .
So THAT's why I never learned to tolerate that stuff?
You're probably right on all counts, which is why I always feel like I have to drive hundreds of miles south to find good food!
Its all about what you were raised on, I hear that there are people in some places who would actually eat oysters.
Lobster and corn on the cob are both delivery systems for butter and salt, except the corn has flavor! You just cain't grow good sweet corn off the coast of Maine!

Travel still allows us to sample various cuisines, but some of the stuff takes more than a sample before it becomes delicious.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote