Why Quartzsite & FLA? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #21

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We talked about going south to Mississauga for camping or Inverhuron : tanks best empty for both unless you have above floor tanks
Old 11-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #22

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Living in the far north where it gets to -30 to -40 below zero, one solution to the problem is to slightly open a couple of faucets so there is continuous water flow. I realize that this waste water and requires a sewer connection but it works and is an easily applied solution. My neighbors water supply is only buried in the ground 4 ft and he has used this method to prevent freeze ups.
-F or -C LOL in United States part of America below -30 to -40 F may work, in southern Canada part of America +34 to -40 C maybe; in the rest of America maybe use furnace, lots of blankets and bottled water. -35 C and below just plain cold and you never know when you may get a surprise cold front -48 for a daytime high LOL
Old 11-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
The other thing to keep in mind about Quartzsite is it's so ugly (except at night).
Attached Thumbnails
Quartz1.jpg   Quartzite2.jpg  

Quartzite1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
My observation is that those who want to go south for the winter do just that - go south from wherever they happen to live. So if you live on the west coast you're most likely to go down to southern CA or AZ. If you live in the mid-west you'll head to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. And if you live on the east coast you head to Florida. At least that's generally true I think. The two other considerations for most folks are simply cost and services.

Personally, we've never cared much for Yuma. We like to give Quartzsite a visit every few years just for the novelty of it. We checked out the Rio Grande Valley once and didn't find it to be our cup of tea but I'm glad we experienced it. We're planning our winter travels now and hope to be in these places in Jan. and Feb.: Southern OR, parts of CA, Death Valley, Lake Mead area, Tuscon. And who knows where else. It can get cold in some of these places for sure, but living in the Pacific Northwest means we go looking mostly for sunshine!
I guess I'm the oddball - I live in the East (on the shores of Lake Ontario where we get 200" of snow each winter). It is not unusual to have to shovel your roof (the house, not the trailer) like I did last February.

I've never wintered in Florida, but love the southwest. Give me the desert over the over populated, buggy southeast. I'm sure there are those that would disagree, but I enjoy the 3000 mile trek across the country to get to Arizona!

I'll be bouncing around the Arizona & California BLM areas over the winter, including Dome Rock for the fiberglass trailer rally in February & a short excursion north for the Scamp Camp Christmas rally in December.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #25

Name: Barry and Kathy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
They all sound like nice places to visit or stay a while.
That being said, I'm from Canada.
BuzzBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #26

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
We spend at least a month in Georgia. Usually February. Being from the Adirondacks, cool night temps don't scare us.
Some Georgia State Parks have snowbird specials - half off for extended stays.
Parks are quieter than the usual packed parks of Florida. We stay at Florida parks prior to Thanksgiving, and then back there in early spring for baseball spring training season.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
-F or -C LOL in United States part of America below -30 to -40 F may work
When it gets to -40 there is no need to question if that is F or C as they are the same at that point.

And yup its cold! Once had to spend a week working outside in that temp. And nope I would not want to be camping in it regardless of how well insulated the trailer might be! LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote