Why Quartzsite & FLA? - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Why Quartzsite & FLA?

For the fulltimers (or snowbirds) out there, why are parts of Florida and Quartzsite (I hear Yuma as well), AZ mentioned so often?

Reason I ask... looking at this map there seems to be plenty of places with average lows above freezing for the winter:

Normal Low Temperatures - AerisWeather

I'm wonder why the community seems to focus on these two areas so much? Are there other hotspots for snowbirds and fulltimers in the winter I'm not aware of? Thanks!

Old 11-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #2

Connecticut
To add context, I've heard of fulltimers following their "flip flop barometer." And I love some nice, warm weather like the next guy, but so long as it isn't freezing my tanks overnight, I'm perfectly content.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In our 15 years of mostly traveling we haven't focused on winter in FL or anywhere else for that matter. If you ask Ginny FL is her favorite spot in the winter, overall the warmest place in the lower 48. Particularly if you ask her today, all she can talk about is the pool, 86 today, and the flowers she planted this week.

Over the years we've spent time all over the place.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #4

Connecticut
I guess I'm just trying to find where "it don't freeze" in the US. If the daily highs are only 50-60 that's just fine with me so long as the pipes don't freeze. It's nice to have options and think about planning with my wants for travel and balancing that with family.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
Thank you for posting this Bryce, it looks like driving down the west Coast in winter time is do-able! I bookmarked the site
Old 11-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
To each his own, think outside the box. With an FGRV in tow you don't have to follow the herd. I live in Florida and love it here but don't always camp here. With all the Yankees invading there is no room left in the more popular campgrounds when we have time to go. So we go North, they invade us, we invade them.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
I've heard it rarely freezes in New Orleans. That's not the same as never.

The Rio Grande Valley of Texas (Brownsville-McAllen area) is another place that rarely sees freezing weather.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #8

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool It's cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
... why are parts of Florida and Quartzsite (I hear Yuma as well), AZ mentioned so often?

Reason I ask... looking at this map there seems to be plenty of places with average lows above freezing for the winter:

I'm wonder why the community seems to focus on these two areas so much?
I cannot speak to the question about Florida as I've never been there.

Quartzsite is popular mainly due to low cost along with not freezing/no snow. The Dome Rock sector (Short term Area of open Desert) is Free for 14 days. There are NO services there, but you can call a honey wagon to come to you and pump out your holding tanks for a price. The Long Term Area of open Desert has some services and has a low monthly fee. Central water supply, shower & toilet facilities, dump station, and trash/garbage removal, but no electricity. Or you can stay in a regular campground with full hookups in town.

Then there is the community, and the convention atmosphere. There are vendors selling everything you can think of.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #9

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
If you look at your map, you see the southern half of Florida is warmer than the northern half and warmer than other places. Many of those who go to southern FL will not stay in northern because they want very warm weather.

Looking at the map again, if one travels during winter, there is a big swath through western Texas and all of New Mexico where warm temps are not found, so going through there can be a problem. There are some people, however, who have liked their stays in southern New Mexico, but they had to deal with freezing temps.

There are certainly many who spend time along the coast from east TX to FL as that is a popular area also. But southern Florida has the really warm weather.

I have yet to go to Quartzsite but I was told about it by an egg owner before we even had our first egg. She was very enthusiastic and considered Quartzsite a must-do. It is popular as the western base for its free or nearly free situation as mentioned by Frederick, and the convention situation. It is a happening. It has certain popular events and there are rallies for every kind of RV. Plus the temps.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #10

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We live in Arizona, and only go to Quartzsite during the FGRV rally to meet up with like minded fiberglass travel trailer owners. There were over 100 at last years meet, where there are games, wine tasting, singing around the camp fire, "open houses" for everyone to compare brands or to show off your glamping ideas and modifications. It's fun, but I prefer the "Superstition and Goldfield Mountains".....much more scenic.
Dave & Paula
Old 11-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I guess I'm just trying to find where "it don't freeze" in the US. If the daily highs are only 50-60 that's just fine with me so long as the pipes don't freeze. It's nice to have options and think about planning with my wants for travel and balancing that with family.
For one thing an overnight low of 32F or slightly below isn't going to cause you any trouble. I know the dreaded 32F. 32F is NOT the temperature where everything freezes. It's the transition temperature where ice starts to melt and water starts to freeze providing the water in either solid or liquid is distilled and you are at sea level.

There are lots of places in the southwest you can go. Death Valley, Lake Mead Recreation Area, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Big Bend NP, Padre Island. New Orleans works too, along with Nibblets Bluff just across the Sabin River in LA from TX. Joshua Tree NP.

I can't speak for places farther east than New Orleans since I haven't been there. There is a nice quiet little National Forest campground in the middle of Louisiana.

One time when we were in Big Bend the temperatures got down to 5 at night and stayed in teens to 20s during the day for 4 or 5 days, we used lots of propane to heat with, but nothing froze that I could determine.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
To add context, I've heard of fulltimers following their "flip flop barometer." And I love some nice, warm weather like the next guy, but so long as it isn't freezing my tanks overnight, I'm perfectly content.
Well with your thoughts on cool weather your full timing locations should be a piece of cake. It's a big country to choose from so don't over think it .
Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 AM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bryce,

We've camped for weeks where the night time temperatures have dropped below freezing and for about a week when it went into the mid-teens every night and had no damage. It takes a little paying attention but you can camp in it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
To repeat, Quartzite is popular because it is cheap, dry, fairly warm and, in the RV world, it would be called a big party town. The population goes from <1000 in the summer to 100,000+ in the winter. In short, Feb can feel like downtown Los Angeles in rush hour.

Personally, I can't stand to spend more than a few days there for the RV's shows, Flea Markets and RV surplus shops, of which there are many.

But be sure to say hello to HiJolly.