Wi-Fi technology while on the road. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
I have a USB external antenna and is does do better. It has a built in signal meter and a secure not secire meter. It brings me up to where the Dell computer is.

This full timer I met had a roof mounted antenna and claim to get full strength form any available signal.

I am in Fortuna, CA and have an appointment with RadioLabs when they open in the morning. Currently I am in an RV park that has password protected Wi-Fi and that we are using as part of the park fees.

So tomorrow I will see what these folks in Fortuna have to offer and if it gets me what I am hoping for - a powerful reception into our RV that both our computers can access at the same time. Wouldnít that be cool.

PS: Iíll let you know what I find.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #16

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
So tomorrow I will see what these folks in Fortuna have to offer and if it gets me what I am hoping for - a powerful reception into our RV that both our computers can access at the same time. Wouldnít that be cool.

PS: Iíll let you know what I find.
Mike
This brings up another interesting point, I have never seen an antenna splitter for this freq. that would allow two computers to use the antenna at the same time.
In fact because the computers both transmit and receive I will be surprised if this will work. Maybe I should go back and read the fine print in the ad.

Have fun
Ed

Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It would make more sense to set up one computer on the adapter and allow the other computer to access the internet through the first by choosing the proper permissions in the first.

Alternatively, if one could find an appropriate router, both computers could be connected to it (dunno if they exist for WiFi, but there are routers which will accept a data card [as in cellular data card]).
Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #18

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Just so you know. Radio Frequency signals in the UHF range ( Wi-Fi) is mostly line of sight. So if you are on a hill top with a clear shot to something 4 miles away you are probably ok with that fancy antenna.

If you are in the trees,( like a regular campsight would be) you will be lucky to go 1/2 mile.

Also if you look at the length of the yagi antenna elements you will notice that they are about the same length as pine needles. Yes ,without telling you how I know ,Pine needles WILL soak up RF energy at those frequencies. I cannot tell you about it, but I have seen actual proof of this.

Sometimes I wonder if a ballon antenna would be a better idea.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i've used netstumbler before, but it really isn't needed with xp.

just double click your connection - view wireless networks button - double click a connection within range and click connect.

the best software i've found for finding hotspots is wigle

http://wigle.net/gps/gps/main

you can download maps for the county you are visiting and it may only be a matter of moving a mile or so to find a hotspot.

edit - download digle and then you can download the maps for your location, by clicking connect to wigle button.

as far as I know it's free. i just fired up my digle software and remembered my username so I must have registered for free at one time.

check it out
Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #20

I met with the folks at RadioLabs and was very impressed. They have a Wi-Fi link from the top of their building to the owners house 4 miles away.

I chose an omni-directional antenna with a Ethernet bridge. From this I can hard wire two ethenet cables to two computers or to a router. From the router I can rebroadcast to my local area either open or secure.

The antenna I bought is: 2.4 GHz 11.8 db Vertical Omni-Directional Antenna. If you can get 2 bars, it will boost the signal to 5 bars. This antenna is supposed to give a 1.5 mile range line of sight. They have a money back guarantee. So the clock in running and I will be testing soon.

The Ethernet bridge is Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter by Buffalo. The little antenna will be removed and wired to the Omni-Directional Antenna above.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Can't wait to see your results, Mike....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Just so you know. Radio Frequency signals in the UHF range ( Wi-Fi) is mostly line of sight. So if you are on a hill top with a clear shot to something 4 miles away you are probably ok with that fancy antenna.

If you are in the trees,( like a regular campsight would be) you will be lucky to go 1/2 mile.

Also if you look at the length of the yagi antenna elements you will notice that they are about the same length as pine needles. Yes ,without telling you how I know ,Pine needles WILL soak up RF energy at those frequencies. I cannot tell you about it, but I have seen actual proof of this.

Sometimes I wonder if a ballon antenna would be a better idea.
Pete, you are right on about the line-of-sight and also about vegetation. A friend was hosting in CO and had cell phone internet in early spring to Silverton from the campground because the signal was apparently reflecting down the rock walls of the valley, but he had to move about 1/2 mile closer when the aspens grew leaves...

I have a sort of reverse cell reception action at home; in winter, I get a lot of dropped calls, but in summer it improves...

A balloon would indeed give better line of sight, but it would be hard to aim a directional antenna and you would have to use something other than coax between the adapter and antenna because the signal loss would be too great. That's why sailboaters like the WiFi adapters/antennas on the end of a USB cable, like a Hawking, because there's far less loss, even with a USB extension cable.

Regarding aiming an antenna, the Windows Zero Configuration Utility or the utility software furnished by typical adapter manfs are nowhere as handy as NetStumbler because the former need refresh cycles whereas the latter are real-time and instantly show the signal change with a move of the antenna.

NetStumbler is a finder, while the others are connectors -- Depends on what you are trying to do.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Can't wait to see your results, Mike...

It Worked!

I went to a local coffee shop and parked across the street. I had a weak signal on my Mac and Lori had a little stronger signal on her PC. She got on but then the connection was dropped. She got right on again and was able to do well. The restaurant has a very fast connection.

I then got out the Buffalo Bridge with the little stock antenna and was able to get connected with a strong signal. I was connected via Ethernet. To be honest, I was able to talk to the Bridge as per the directions, but I was NOT able to get on the Internet. I connected Loriís PC via Ethernet and she got right on.

I had to set up a TCP/IP setting for the Bridge. Then connect. After connecting I switched my TCP/IP settings to DHCP to get on line.

I saved the settings and now Iím good to go.

I drove two blocks down the street and retested. No signal from the restaurant using the laptop wireless. I connected the Bridge and the big antenna and got 100% signal, WOW! Lori got on with her PC and I got on with my Mac. There are two additional Ethernet ports for two more connections. These ports can also be used to set up a router and rebroadcast Wi-Fi to my local area either open or password protected.

I drove another two blocks away and barely got connected, but did. So, I guess I was about six city blocks away.

The Antenna works.

This was all hand held and running off a 12v inverter out of my cig. lighter.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Wow, excellent! Now you don't have to go in and buy coffee anymore....

Were you pretty much line of sight the whole time. I wonder how it would do through buildings, trees etc.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Wow, excellent! Now you don't have to go in and buy coffee anymore....
Were you pretty much line of sight the whole time. I wonder how it would do through buildings, trees etc.
Across the street I was LINE-OF-SIGHT. Second stop I was slightly out of LINE-OF-SIGHT. Third stop I couldnít see the restaurant at all.

PS: I eat at JBS Place 3+ times a week and the food is good and the coffee is great. I know the owner very well. He has his Wi-Fi set up for FREE public use.

I was told that bulge mobiles, trees, what ever, could cause interference. Just be aware and adjust.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #26

I think if I was only connecting one computer to an external Wi-Fi antenna, I would go with the Wireless RV System - WaveRV
Old 07-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #27

My recommendation is that one not be too obvious about off-premise use of a business offering 'free' WiFi, esp during business hours, unless one KNOWS the owner intended free access to all, not just to customers.

Two WiFi Arrests...

There are plenty of folks out there subscribing to the theory of "If it isn't specifically legal, then it must be illegal!", incorrect as it may be in many cases.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #28

On the other hand, cities are offering FREE Hot Zones.
Spokane, WA & Long Beach, CA to name a couple. Also, Rio Rancho, N.M. & Chicago, Ill.

Check out http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...SINESS/70626053