winter living - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #15
Member
 
Greybeard's Avatar
 
Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Posts: 53
Registry
Send a message via Skype™ to Greybeard
There used to be a park just north of Wpg before you reached Middlechurch, on the east side of the road. There were a few all season campers there from time to time. Don't know if it is still there nor do I recall the name it went under. It was on the highway to Lockport and just a few Km out of the city, close to shopping and some heat :-)
You might be able to find it on Google Earth
Richard
__________________

__________________
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,828
I'm with Alf on the Arizona suggestions. Of course, I'm a bit partial.
__________________

__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,308
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'm with Alf on the Arizona suggestions. Of course, I'm a bit partial.
If you don't like Arizona there's New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana. See ya'll there soon.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Bruce H's Avatar
 
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Posts: 398
The Bigfoots are a four season trailer. They are comfortable at zero f and the water won’t freeze if you keep the furnace and water heater going. But when you start talking thirty or forty below there would be problems like frozen water, a frozen waste tank and dying if the power went off.
__________________
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
The Bigfoots are a four season trailer. They are comfortable at zero f and the water won’t freeze if you keep the furnace and water heater going. But when you start talking thirty or forty below there would be problems like frozen water, a frozen waste tank and dying if the power went off.
Not all Bigfoots are four season trailers. They had to be ordered that way. Just like all brands have options, that was an option when purchased from the factory.

If someone is looking to buy a Bigfoot, make sure you're getting what you want... not what you suspect.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Member
 
Trailer: '88 16' Scamp #4 layout
North Idaho
Posts: 37
wood heat

believe it or not. My husband has made a stovepipe fitting for the 14" vent and we have a tent camping wood stove that keeps us very comfortable.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not all Bigfoots are four season trailers. They had to be ordered that way. Just like all brands have options, that was an option when purchased from the factory.

If someone is looking to buy a Bigfoot, make sure you're getting what you want... not what you suspect.
__________________
Nadine Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,308
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine Y. View Post
believe it or not. My husband has made a stovepipe fitting for the 14" vent and we have a tent camping wood stove that keeps us very comfortable.
Could you post a picture?

Thanks
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
Member
 
Trailer: '88 16' Scamp #4 layout
North Idaho
Posts: 37
I'd Love to send a picture but have sold that trailer and when I am at our Airstream which has the stove installed I will take a picture and post it here. Sorry it might be quite awhile.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Could you post a picture?

Thanks
__________________
Nadine Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,308
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine Y. View Post
I'd Love to send a picture but have sold that trailer and when I am at our Airstream which has the stove installed I will take a picture and post it here. Sorry it might be quite awhile.
No problem. I was just trying to imagine a Trillium with a wood stove.
Many many years ago my grandfather had one of those big old canvas hunting tents, complete with wood stove. When grandma started cooking that stove I had to go outside even in below freezing weather. I think everything on the stove and inside the tent got cooked.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
Member
 
Trailer: '88 16' Scamp #4 layout
North Idaho
Posts: 37
we had a 77' trillium 4500 and that is what we used it in. Had to keep a very small fire. stove is the packer stove from cabelas. We had two oven shelves that we put aluminum foil on and placed behind and beside and set the whole thing on a board on the bunk by the door. The metal stovepipe arrangement he bent up from metal was installed instead of the vent and it was warm and wonderful in the winter traveling we did.










Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
No problem. I was just trying to imagine a Trillium with a wood stove.
Many many years ago my grandfather had one of those big old canvas hunting tents, complete with wood stove. When grandma started cooking that stove I had to go outside even in below freezing weather. I think everything on the stove and inside the tent got cooked.
__________________
Nadine Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
EddyEd's Avatar
 
Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Posts: 208
Registry
I took my little Cloud out for a hunting/camping trip a few weeks ago in Northern Wisconsin and had a great time. I did some research before hand however and was prepared for the condensation issues and such by just bringing some extra towels and wiping down the inside whenever I needed to. It was my son and I who went and to be honest it didn't get to bad inside, I imagined dripping water from the ceiling but it never got that bad just a little damp on the walls. It didn't drop below zero during our trip but it did get close to zero and some of the post I had read had me scared to run my propane furnace at night (we were boon docking) so I invested in two really good mummy bags and never ran the heater at all while we slept and I actually got to warm in my sleeping bag I had to unzip it for awhile. In the morning I could reach the furnace from my bed and thanks again to more advice from the forums I had my coffee setup and ready to go on the stove, though frozen in my percolator I just fired up the burner and zipped back up in my sleeping back for a half hour, when I heard the coffee popping I got up and the camper was fairly comfortable. I won't say lie the furnace never got it warm enough to sit around in a t shirt but with my insulated pants on and a sweatshirt I was comfortable. I found that at night when I fired up my Coleman lamp along with the furnace running it got really nice inside.
If I ever decided to fulltime I know I would stay away from the NORTH during the winter though. Winter camping for a few days or even a week is interesting and even fun but more then that and I think I might decide I don't love camping anymore.
Going to try and post a few pictures of our adventure. Notice how fast the weather can change up here in a matter of a few hours we went from a nice fall/winter day to full out blizzard, though I have to admit camping in a snowstorm was pretty awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	311739_10150364945571493_715376492_8519667_1369984409_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	41806

Click image for larger version

Name:	384862_10150367223071493_715376492_8528195_1430571720_n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	41807

Click image for larger version

Name:	317306_10150367222461493_715376492_8528192_1473043430_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	41808

Click image for larger version

Name:	317350_10150365733406493_715376492_8522087_641042107_n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	41809
__________________
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Lil M.'s Avatar
 
Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Posts: 333
Registry
I was born in Winnipeg. Yes, it's cold during the winter.
Here's my suggestion...find a garage with electric big enough to fit your trailer and rent it. You and the trailer will be out of the elements. If it has water to it, that'd be great. Otherwise use the 6 or 7 gallon water containers.
Use a Travel John and kitty litter for...you know. Join the Y and take showers there. The only problem will be having enough ventilation to run the propane safely. Perhaps a longer supply line so the tank could be outside until it got too cold.
Just a thought.
__________________
Lil M.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” ― John Muir
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,308
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
I took my little Cloud out for a hunting/camping trip a few weeks ago in Northern Wisconsin and had a great time. I did some research before hand however and was prepared for the condensation issues and such by just bringing some extra towels and wiping down the inside whenever I needed to. It was my son and I who went and to be honest it didn't get to bad inside, I imagined dripping water from the ceiling but it never got that bad just a little damp on the walls. It didn't drop below zero during our trip but it did get close to zero and some of the post I had read had me scared to run my propane furnace at night (we were boon docking) so I invested in two really good mummy bags and never ran the heater at all while we slept and I actually got to warm in my sleeping bag I had to unzip it for awhile. In the morning I could reach the furnace from my bed and thanks again to more advice from the forums I had my coffee setup and ready to go on the stove, though frozen in my percolator I just fired up the burner and zipped back up in my sleeping back for a half hour, when I heard the coffee popping I got up and the camper was fairly comfortable. I won't say lie the furnace never got it warm enough to sit around in a t shirt but with my insulated pants on and a sweatshirt I was comfortable. I found that at night when I fired up my Coleman lamp along with the furnace running it got really nice inside.
If I ever decided to fulltime I know I would stay away from the NORTH during the winter though. Winter camping for a few days or even a week is interesting and even fun but more then that and I think I might decide I don't love camping anymore.
Going to try and post a few pictures of our adventure. Notice how fast the weather can change up here in a matter of a few hours we went from a nice fall/winter day to full out blizzard, though I have to admit camping in a snowstorm was pretty awesome.

There's always going to be few people that are afraid of their own shadow. Those people will attempt to scare everybody else so they don't feel so bad. The furnace thing is one of those. There are millions of people with gas furnaces in house that run all night. There are thousands of RV with gas furnaces that run all night. There's very little difference between running the furnace in day while you're awake and and at night. If carbon monoxide was going to get you it doesn't care if you're asleep, awake, or whether it's dark or not. I don't like my water pipes frozen and I selected sleeping bags based on the trailer never getting below 50°.
That's my 2 cents worth.
We're about to head south again. Maybe we can find of that 5° weather we found last winter in Texas.
Enjoy your trailer.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
EddyEd's Avatar
 
Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Posts: 208
Registry
Thanks Byron for the furnace info. I bought a carbon monoxide detector and keep the windows cracked just to be safe but I have to admit that since this was my first winter outing with my new camper that I also was not sure how much propane that furnace would burn up so I was turning it off the conserve the fuel as well. Come to find out I ran that furnace pretty much straight from 5am until 9pm for 3 days and I still haven't ran out of propane, not to mention cooking and heating up coffee on the same take. I was pretty happy with that.
__________________

__________________
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living without AC power Amy M Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 39 11-29-2009 02:05 PM
YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2009 WHEN: Frederick L. Simson Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 1 05-18-2009 09:30 AM
Misconceptions about traveling (And living) alone Gina D. General Chat 12 01-15-2008 11:27 PM
Living Will Benita Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 2 08-03-2007 08:31 PM
Thoughts on living Jackie Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 1 01-05-2006 08:23 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.