winter living - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #29

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
Thanks Byron for the furnace info. I bought a carbon monoxide detector and keep the windows cracked just to be safe but I have to admit that since this was my first winter outing with my new camper that I also was not sure how much propane that furnace would burn up so I was turning it off the conserve the fuel as well. Come to find out I ran that furnace pretty much straight from 5am until 9pm for 3 days and I still haven't ran out of propane, not to mention cooking and heating up coffee on the same take. I was pretty happy with that.

When I was in Big Bend Texas the temps were 5 for 2 days and close to that for 3 or 4 more days before the cold front left. During that time I was getting about 3 to 4 days out of my 20lb propane tank. If your furnace is like mine, the combustion box is vented to the outside like your home furnace is. The carbon monoxide detector is a good idea. It will warn you if there's a crack in the furnace fire box, which is very unlikely. The open flame of the cook surface is more likely to cause CO problems as is your propane lantern.
I took some temperature measurements around and on the grill of my Surban Furnace to determine the possibilities of burns or igniting material coming in contact with the grill. I could not find anyplace hot enough to cause ignition. I found one little spot behind the grill that would be uncomfortable to touch, but still below the 145 required to burn skin.

The top of your Propane Lantern is extremely hot and skin will burn on touch, and combustion can easily occur it paper or cloth were to come into contact with the top. I suspect the lantern was doing as much heating as the furnace.
An extra 20lb propane tank when boondocking in really cold weather might be a good idea.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #30

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Wisconsin Deer Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
I took my little Cloud out for a hunting/camping trip a few weeks ago in Northern Wisconsin and had a great time. I did some research before hand however and was prepared for the condensation issues and such by just bringing some extra towels and wiping down the inside whenever I needed to. It was my son and I who went and to be honest it didn't get to bad inside, I imagined dripping water from the ceiling but it never got that bad just a little damp on the walls. It didn't drop below zero during our trip but it did get close to zero and some of the post I had read had me scared to run my propane furnace at night (we were boon docking) so I invested in two really good mummy bags and never ran the heater at all while we slept and I actually got to warm in my sleeping bag I had to unzip it for awhile. In the morning I could reach the furnace from my bed and thanks again to more advice from the forums I had my coffee setup and ready to go on the stove, though frozen in my percolator I just fired up the burner and zipped back up in my sleeping back for a half hour, when I heard the coffee popping I got up and the camper was fairly comfortable. I won't say lie the furnace never got it warm enough to sit around in a t shirt but with my insulated pants on and a sweatshirt I was comfortable. I found that at night when I fired up my Coleman lamp along with the furnace running it got really nice inside.
If I ever decided to fulltime I know I would stay away from the NORTH during the winter though. Winter camping for a few days or even a week is interesting and even fun but more then that and I think I might decide I don't love camping anymore.
Going to try and post a few pictures of our adventure. Notice how fast the weather can change up here in a matter of a few hours we went from a nice fall/winter day to full out blizzard, though I have to admit camping in a snowstorm was pretty awesome.

Attachment 41806

Attachment 41807

Attachment 41808

Attachment 41809
Hope you had better luck hunting than we did . In the area of northern Wisconsin we hunt in, the deer harvest was down 38% from 2010 and 2010 was a bad year. We tented it with no heat (scamp is winterized and in storage) and the storm you pictured made the camping ( hunt) interesting. The worst part for me in cold weather camping (hunting) is getting out of your sleeping bag at 5:00 AM and getting dressed in the cold and attempting to brew a pot of coffee as you stand there shivering.

Steve Dunham

Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #31

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Steve,
I did pretty well I can't complain I ended up with a nice 9 pointer but everyone else didn't fare so well. I chalk it up to my new "Escape Pod" she is my lucky charm.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #32

Name: rufus
Trailer: 1973 Timberline 18.5, shopping
Oregon
Thanks for the stories, esp. of "Winterpeg". -40F to -60F is like being on another planet for a pacific NW kid who thinks +15F is pretty cold (better than +33F with blowing wind and rain though!).
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #33

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
We also just spent our first nights winter camping.

We got a 1977 Scamp several weeks ago and after repairing the Suburban Duotherm furnace we were ready to hit the road.

My wife, son the dog and I spent December 26, 27 and 28 in the St. Croix state park in MN.

Monday evening we had all 211 campsites completely to ourselves. Not even a single park ranger was there. It was pretty fantastic. The stars were just incredible that night.

It was extremely windy and the furnace wouldn't stay lit so we got colder than we wanted when the outdoor temps went to around 25F overnight.

The second night it wasn't windy and I foooled around with the furnace and got it to run all night and we were just fine. Although my son't sleeping bag froze to the inside of the front window and the water in our jug got a 1/4 inch skin of ice!

We didn't have condensation problems until we started using the stove. Boiling water, cooking bacon and eggs blew a ton of mointure into the camper and the windows were dripping.

It was a pretty fantastic experience but I wouldn't want to do it in much colder weather than 20F or so.

When it warms up (May 2012?) we'll redo the seal on the door and that should help a lot also.

All in all we loved it and expect to do more once we make a few inprovements.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #34

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
our experiences with winter camping included learning the HARD way that memory foam freezes into a solid, hard slab. not nice! we learned to fold back our bedding and let the warmth from the furnace also warm up the memory foam.
as for condensation, the cracking of the roof vent slightly surely helps. but simply using an old towel to wipe the windows down in the morning takes only a minute or two.
all in all, we have had great fun camping in the winter!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus thirteen View Post
Thanks for the stories, esp. of "Winterpeg". -40F to -60F is like being on another planet for a pacific NW kid who thinks +15F is pretty cold (better than +33F with blowing wind and rain though!).
I grew up in "Winterpeg". When it is REALLY cold there,car tires have frozen flat spots in the morning, car MUST have an electric block heater plugged in or will not start, and it is just NOT nice to be out - esp if a wind is blowing along with the "minus one billion" temps. (Wind chill factor is downright dangerous!)

However, you can dress for it.

You are right, however, that 33 above ("Foreign-height") and rainy, damp and windy is perhaps even worse, as the chill goes right through you, no matter how you dress! When I moved to the coast 25 years ago, I was ready to go back about half-way through my first winter!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #36

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Send a message via Skype™ to Greybeard
But its a "dry" cold!! As we said when I lived there :-) Richard
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #37

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Since we are on the topic of heat and some one mentioned wood stoves look at these.
Nu-Way Stoves, Model 965, Wood Burning Stove, Ventilation, Stove Pipe Kit, Ash Pan, Low Pressure Regulator, Deer Blinds, Ice Fishing, Grayling, Indian River, Cheboygan

SARDINE STOVE INFO & SPECS.

ShipMate Stove Company Inc. - your source for classic solid fuel boat stoves, heaters and sinks.

BENGCO MARINE HEATERS

Fatsco Stoves

and for the do it your self guys.
Make a Simple Solid Fuel Stove For Your Boat
Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #38

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Here is a pic of a charcoal heater that is some what like the home made one described in my above post.
Click image for larger version

Name:	force 10 heater.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	42059
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It is always a good idea to put some lock-eze in your locks and vaseline on your door gaskets in the winter, otherwise you may be frozen in your camper with a stuck door.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #40

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: DaleB...The best place to store a fiberglass trailer from "Winterpeg" is under "A" for Arizona. It's still cold at night to remind you of home!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
That's also the best place from Oregon. Soon, very soon.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #41

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
No desire to leave

Last night it snowed and this morning there was a beautiful 6 inch blanket of snow on the ground . When I look out my window I can see my four grandchildren sledding down our hill. As I sit here I can smell the scent of wood burning in the wood stove and the aroma of the turkey my wife is roasting in the oven. On days like today I have no desire to travel to a warmer climate , I have spent sometime in the southern USA during the summer months and found the heat and humidity stifling . The solitude of winter has its own blessings and even after 62 years I still find joy in the winter season

Thanks Steve Dunham
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #42

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Last night it snowed and this morning there was a beautiful 6 inch blanket of snow on the ground . When I look out my window I can see my four grandchildren sledding down our hill. As I sit here I can smell the scent of wood burning in the wood stove and the aroma of the turkey my wife is roasting in the oven. On days like today I have no desire to travel to a warmer climate , I have spent sometime in the southern USA during the summer months and found the heat and humidity stifling . The solitude of winter has its own blessings and even after 62 years I still find joy in the winter season

Thanks Steve Dunham
At age 62, winter and snow were a welcome sight. It meant loading up the car with winter clothing, X-Country Skis on top, hot coffee in thermos and a pleasant drive into the mountains. Then a few hours of traveling on top of the snow, the only sound the crunch of the snow. A lunch stop where a bench was created in the snow to sit on, and a visit from the local gray jays was common.
Fast forward 8 years, the snow and cold are not welcome.