winter living - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #43

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
our experiences with winter camping included learning the HARD way that memory foam freezes into a solid, hard slab. not nice!!
That's exactly what happened to my pillow.

Next time I'm bringing along a normal one.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #44

Trailer: My 4th Trillium
Winnipeg
Winterpeg is great lots of sun, nothing like seeing sundogs at -30 on a dry cold Winnipeg Day I work outside all four seasons or as a true Pegger winter and skeeter season, I have lived here all my 46 years and I just love the winters ... what else do we have to talk about up here but the weather. It was a hot 7C for January 5 , and as I was walking up to the house after work I was thinking Hmm I wonder If i could start my Tomatoes on the south side of my house..LOL

Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #45

Name: Cat
Trailer: Uhaul CT
Maryland
Wow! You are Serious DaleB!
This will certainly be an adventure.
I've never done anything as serious as a Manitoba winter, but trailer living in upstate NY in a state park atop a mountain. Beautiful, but "The Shining" really begins to make a lot of sense around mid December.
I was in a 27 footer, with hay bales and tarps around the base to keep the snow out. Heavy blankets on all the windows and the ceiling also made a huge difference, as well as making sure they were bright colors to keep away the seasonal affective i'm-locked-in-a-trailer-omg problems. I also made blanket curtains around the bed to keep the heat in while I slept.
Space heaters keep the inside of the trailer pretty dry and in my experience free from moisture problems or even foggy windows. Also, putting a space heater under the bed made all the difference.
Keep a close eye on your water (if you have it) and tanks, since if they freeze and burst they will only do it in the middle of the night usually while it is snowing. Antifreeze down the drain kept my grey tank intact, although that may have been luck.
Good news is, your fridge expands exponentially to the whole front lawn!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #46

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Lots of interesting posts since I last checked in.

I have been looking into winter camping very seriously. It is one on my goals for my pickup camper. I will have my walls insulated to R9 and the windows are R2 with storm installed, which can be improved it I cover some of these with rigid insulation. I also will have an air lock door in the hallway to the bathroom which leads to the outside door. I can also block off the cab over bed since I will be sleeping on the dinette closer to the fire for easy tending. That makes it all smaller and reduces my BTU/ hour needs as low as possibly for extreme cold.

My decision was to heat with a Sardine wood stove. I'm getting the plain cast iron with the glass side panel. Wood heat is a great idea though it would be tough full timing by yourself. These don't burn very long on wood so I will be making my own charcoal and prepackaging them into small, medium,and large bundles in paper lunch bags for night time. My shower will be my wood storage and I'll burn wood as much as possible.

By the way CO is most dangerous in the last stages of a fire when there is less draw in the flue.

I considered the Fatsco stoves, but these don't have windows. The Sardine is better suited to cooking, heating water, and viewing the fire.

Now if I wanted to live in Winnipeg in the winter I would use a wood stove and possibly a pellet stove. Pellets would work great for unattended operation but they require electricity. A pellet stove would keep a 5th wheel toasty warm, but you might want to model the heat loss to validate that.

I have been toying with some plans for a pellet stove that did not require electricity (using gears and weights like a grandfather clock) and also considering making a self feeding rocket stove base on a design I saw on YouTube. There is a fellow using another rocket stove in a trailer with good success and he claims he uses less fuel because of the more complete burn. It does require frequent tending.

Just as one fellow talked about using ice to store cooling energy. I'd like to put my surplus heat into heating water so that when I go to sleep as the fire burns out, the hot water tank sitting on my stove will continue to radiate heat for a while.

Tent stoves like the four dog or smaller three dog stoves put out a lot of heat and have heat reservoirs of 3.5 to 4 gal of water. Something like that might be good in Winnipeg. If that can keep tents warm, the can keep a 5'er warm. These tend to go cold quickly though.

I also plan to avoid black water waste by using an incinerator toilet. Gray water will go into a 5 gal bucket to be dumped. That would be helpful in Winnipeg as he had electricity and removes the disposal problem. I an going for this type of toilet simply because I don't want to deal with black water and I won't be near dump stations. I'd rather carry a generator and extra solar panels and a good sized battery bank. So water won't be a problem as most of my plumbing will no be used.

I would like a propane heater also I am not sure I have space for it. I also judge it dangerous in conjunction with wood stove use.

I would also like a propane stove top, so I may just use my camper in winter mode with wood stove for heat and cooking, and propane for warmer weather.

Wood or pellets make dry heat. That gets rid of the moisture problem at inside air is ducked into the stove.

I suppose if I had a 5th wheel it would be a cheap one. I'd seriously think about ripping it apart and super insulating it. If I was the only one living in it, I'd frame it off and panel it with an extra foam 4" for the walls and ceiling , along with an air lock entrance. It might be ugly but it would be warm.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #47

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What about a Hot Tub that is heated by the wood stove. That solves the shower problem and leaves you with the hot water you want to provide heat after the wood stove runs out of heat.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #48

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Been there.
Attached Thumbnails
TahoeI.jpg  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #49

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Love the stoves....been thinking of making one out of an old propane bottle.....now I know I can just buy something....thanks.

I saw a homemade stove on the net in a van conversion that had a tall watertank with a tap......

As for the idea of wintering in a fibberglass egg in Alaska......seems to me there has to be better options....igloo comes to mind.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #50

As for the idea of wintering in a fibberglass egg in Alaska......seems to me there has to be better options....igloo comes to mind.

With the Hot Tub heated by the wood stove. Priceless
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #51

Conrad said: I have been looking into winter camping very seriously. It is one on my goals for my pickup camper.

Just how big will the pickup and camper have to be to get all that insulation, wood stove, pellet stove and other stuff in it?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #52

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Conrad said: I have been looking into winter camping very seriously. It is one on my goals for my pickup camper.

Just how big will the pickup and camper have to be to get all that insulation, wood stove, pellet stove and other stuff in it?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #53

Utah
OR THIS

Depends on you budget!!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #54

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Hi all

i am new to this and am looking at buying a 5th wheel or trailer and living in it all year round in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada and was wondering if anyone knows where i can park a unit like this all year round spot, i know i have heard good and bad about doing this but if people in Alaska and Calgary are doing it it sounds not that bad. i know the mousture is a problem but was told to use a dehumidifier and all is good, any information will be much appriciated.

thank you

Dale
Dale......ok I've been poking fun at this, but truth is I'm worried about your idea.

Reminds me of the book/movie "Into the Wild"

I would think it would take a person who has experience with a trailer to be able to safely live the whole winter in a trailer.

I'm not sure what your reason for trying this may be, but if it is money....you may find it much more expensive than you may think.

If you are planning to have a job outside the trailer you run into other issues like how to keep the trailer from freezing up while you are gone.

But all that said, you have come to a very good place for help and advise....just need to give us more information about your plans, budget etc.

Best of luck to you my friend!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #55

Connecticut
I suppose he has already done it or frozen to death. I'd have to search and see when he last replied.

The old propane bottles made into a rocket stove work really well. I'd like to have one just for fun.

My truck camper is similar to an Avion C11 but squared off and larger and with a larger overhang. Mine is closer to 12' long plus the cab overhang and sits well on my K3500 Silverado D/A.

It has 1.5" aluminum framing. I am insulating with closed cell foam. It worked well with the original build sealing and gluing the siding to the framing and sealing the wiring. Every wiring circuit in the camper was working when I purchased it. I am filling the cavity completely for R9 (R6/inch). I will be using two sided tape as a thermal break and only using screws for cabinets to limit thermal conduction. I plan to raise the roof 1 foot to add interior space, allow for a larger fridge, and so i won't rub my head on the ceiling. I want to add an Air Conditioner and have plenty of headroom and extra cabinet space. The roof will get a thin coat of LineX type bed liner tinted Silver just to be sure water doesn't get in.

I am converting the propane/battery locker to a head and the shower will be opposite with a door flipping open to close as a passageway door. That will be my air lock.

I don't have room for everything I want. I have a place for a small stove as I threw away the old furnace. I still need to find a place for a propane heater. I am still working on the design while repairing some exterior issues.

I gutted it last summer and need to repair some framing and dents. Next I will build some ladder framing all around,raise the roof, and skin it to enclose it. It looks pretty easy. I am having issues finding the right rivtets.

It has been a fun project so far but slow because I am putting a new interior in my big boat which is a higher priority.

My theme for the camper is a yacht theme. I would post pictures if it, but the egg Nazi's who shoot me, hang me, and then burn me at the stake.

I want to draw a plan up on Google Sketchup since it is too dang cold to work outside this time of year.

Winter camping is great. Many of the parks are empty and there is no one even collecting money. No one expects people to be camping so that makes it even easier.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #56

Connecticut
Just to be clear. I would only have one wood burning stove in the camper, either a Sardine, or a rocket stove, which would be multi-fuel. I would like to have a propane heater which might share the space where the wood stove would go. I'd like to have both mounted full time but don't see that I would have the space. Perhaps I'll find a place for a bulkhead mount Dickensen gas heater.