Winter travel trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Casita LD & Coleman 1805
Colorado
Winter travel trailer

I would appreciate recommendations for well-insulated, 4-season travel trailers. I'm tired of worrying about water tanks freezing and running out of propane while boondocking. Any recommendations or thoughts about winter RVing will be appreciated. Thanks
Guy Larimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bigfoot 2500-series and Oliver are the only true four-season molded fiberglass trailers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Bigfoot. I have never had a tank or water line freeze in the 12 years I have owned Bigfoots. But ---- you still have to keep the water system warm if you have water in it. If you run out of propane or if the battery runs out of juice they can and will freeze. You need to run the furnace intermittently to warm the tanks and water lines. It blows heat down into the area where they are. Plus you need to run the hot water heater often enough to keep it from freezing. Just plugging in a space heater will not heat the hot water heater or the enclosed tanks and water lines. I regularly use my Bigfoot at primitive (no electrical hookups) camping sites during the fall hunting season in Missouri. Temperatures are frequently in the teens at night. The single battery will not run the furnace blower all night. If you want to camp in cold weather without supplemental power you need two batteries AND some way to fully charge them every day. (Two batteries are very difficult to install in a Bigfoot because of lack of space) My supplemental power in these situations is a portable generator. When it is cold I usually run it in the evening until about 11:00pm. The battery will then last until I get up the next morning. If it is really cold and miserable outside, and I don't want to go out and shut the generator off, I will let it run until it runs out of gas.

The coldest night I ever spent was zero degrees Fahrenheit. That was at a campground in Williams, Arizona and I was plugged into shore power. I set the thermostat on low, left the hot water heater on and plugged in a small cube heater which I also set on low. It was perfectly warm and comfortable all night and the water system did not freeze. I took a shower the next morning. That experience eliminated my fears of cold weather camping.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We used a "4 season" travel trailer one year for deer hunting in northern Minnesota .The temps dropped to 29 below with 40 below windchills. We went through 2 - 20 lb tanks of propane from Friday night until Sunday Morning .The furnace ran pretty much all the time and the inside trailer temperasure was in the 30's to 40's most of the night. Our boots froze to the floor .My point is that you need to state the minimum temperature you anticipate to get an educated answer. I've camped in a tent at below zero temps but when the wind chills drop to 30 or 40 below it's a whole new world.
There is a big difference between winter in Arizona and in Northern Minnesota or the UP of Michigan
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
From the little research I have done I would look at the Bigfoot 2500.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #6

Colorado
I thought so. Thanks for your quick response.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #7

Colorado
Good advice. Thanks for your quick response.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Colorado
Thanks for the good information and advice.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Elite
Utah
winter travel

We have a 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite. We have camped this winter in single digit temps with highs in the 30s. Tanks are enclosed. We set thermometer at 60 degrees. Central air furnace quiet and doesn't bother sleep. Had a great time in the mountains of Utah. Water Heater was left on. Had nice shower in mornings. No freezing problems with water. Used battery for 5 of 8 nights we've camped. Recharged battery with generator. Had electric hookups for 3 nights. We were warm and fine and had a great time.
bobjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #10

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I recommend Bigfoot also. I have a Bigfoot truck camper. I found a few spots in the nose where insulation was missing and filled those with Great Stuff spray foam.

At some point is like to make a few more mods for winter camping. Adding a bit more press-in insulation in the vents. So far I've been very happy with it. In temps around freezing, 20's at night to 30's during the day I can go a week on two 20 lb bottles and I have an external extend a stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote