Would a 13' foot Scamp be too small for me and two dogs? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #41

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Hi Margaret,

I went to Home Depot, picked out 3/4" thick cabinet grade plywood, and they cut a piece for me that is 29.5" (you need to measure between the bench seats of your own trailer) x 20" . I lightly sanded the cut edges when I got home.

I also bought at Home Depot: Melamine Edging, Edgemate, 13/16" x 25'. I wanted to protect the fiberglass (I don't know if this necessary or not!), and this is easily applied to the sides and bottom edge of the plywood; use a home electric iron on a high heat setting like cotton. This edging may also be available in a peel 'n stick type.

You can use any dimension you want instead of the 20" I used. Out of the remaining plywood, I got another 29.5" x 4" piece, and I am still playing around with all the pieces and cushions, added some pillows, and just having fun! I can have the bed 20" wide, or 24" wide by putting the 20" and the 4" piece together. When I decide to put the bed away, I put the plywood under the bench cushion. The 4" piece of plywood can be used as a small platform for my coffee or wine!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2440.JPG   !cid_287579A33FAF427E837675182DDB3F24@1.jpg  

!cid_CC3A7921E6FC485B9D3BCC892C244374@1.jpg  
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi Floyd,

Your info. has proven to be really valuable for me. Now, it would be great if you could provide me with a "plan" or something of the sort?

Also, did you use entirely new cushions, or how did you figure that part out?

Thanks so much!

Margaret
When you are ready, contact me direct and I will do what I can to make the conversion easy.
I did mine pretty much right out of the box 12years ago.
I had Scamp make the bridge cushion aftermarket in matching fabric by simply having them shorten a standard side seat cushion.
I then ordered a third back cushion complete with the small hinge cushion.
This conversion can be as simple as a single piece of plywood and a used couch cushion, or you can make it look as custom as you like or even an OEM look.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi all,

First of all, the Scamp I'm buying is a 2016 that was never used; due to confidentiality, I'm not going to explain why.

This is what I'd like to do, thanks to Floyd and Jon:

I don't want to get as fancy as Floyd did. I would simply like to ditch the table and place a plank across the seats in order to have (a) more room, and (b) a dedicated single sized bed.

However, a carpenter/contractor I'm not, so I would love some "how to" tips.

This forum has been great for me!!

Margaret
Is this the Scamp 13' in Rochester that you have purchased?

Picture is dark but it appears to me that the trailer is already set up to have a single bed at the rear area of the dinette, as the table is not the full length of the dinette as it normally is. This would give you a single bed on back half of dinette and with a small portable table you would have a two seat dinette on the other half..... perhaps the seller already has the small table.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #44

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Picture is dark but it appears to me that the trailer is already set up to have a single bed at the rear area of the dinette, as the table is not the full length of the dinette as it normally is. This would give you a single bed on back half of dinette and with a small portable table you would have a two seat dinette on the other half..... perhaps the seller already has the small table.
Carol, that trailer has the "big bed" 54" option. The table is a smaller, single piece than the traditional 13 trailers with the 44" beds. In order to make up the bed, Scamp provides a second piece of laminated fiber board.

But yes. The 54", "big bed" option does indeed lend itself better to doing a U shape effect in the rear.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
Carol, that trailer has the "big bed" 54" option. The table is a smaller, single piece than the traditional 13 trailers with the 44" beds. In order to make up the bed, Scamp provides a second piece of laminated fiber board.

But yes. The 54", "big bed" option does indeed lend itself better to doing a U shape effect in the rear.
Thanks thats what I thought and as its the only 2016 Scamp 13' for sale I am assuming its what the OP has purchased so they do not need to reinvent the wheel ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #46

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
IIRC the OP is heading to AZ for her Scamp, not to NY.

Changing the back end to create a single bed with seating next to it is a really easy project. The biggest thing, I think, would be to make sure one can still access the storage areas below.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #47

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Hi Carol,

No, I got one in AZ; that is, have paid down payment, and will be on my way there late next week.
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #48

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
Hi Margaret,

I went to Home Depot, picked out 3/4" thick cabinet grade plywood, and they cut a piece for me that is 29.5" (you need to measure between the bench seats of your own trailer) x 20" . I lightly sanded the cut edges when I got home.

I also bought at Home Depot: Melamine Edging, Edgemate, 13/16" x 25'. I wanted to protect the fiberglass (I don't know if this necessary or not!), and this is easily applied to the sides and bottom edge of the plywood; use a home electric iron on a high heat setting like cotton. This edging may also be available in a peel 'n stick type.

You can use any dimension you want instead of the 20" I used. Out of the remaining plywood, I got another 29.5" x 4" piece, and I am still playing around with all the pieces and cushions, added some pillows, and just having fun! I can have the bed 20" wide, or 24" wide by putting the 20" and the 4" piece together. When I decide to put the bed away, I put the plywood under the bench cushion. The 4" piece of plywood can be used as a small platform for my coffee or wine!
That's a great suggestion! I'm going to see what other folks have suggested, and maybe print out or write down the details.

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp