Would a 13' foot Scamp be too small for me and two dogs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Would a 13' foot Scamp be too small for me and two dogs?

Hi all,

I need opinions soon, bc the Scamps are disappearing fast, and I'm looking at two used Scamps at present.

Scared to two anything bigger, but I don't want to be or feel unbearably crowded.

One Scamp has a bathroom/shower; the other doesn't. I'm going to be living in the camper at least a year, so not sure about the porta potti or showering in a utilities tent in cold weather, but the non-bathroom one is roomier.

Thoughts? Should I quickly look for a 16 instead? Of course, I might not find one by now!!

Thanks so much, Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi all,

I need opinions soon, bc the Scamps are disappearing fast, and I'm looking at two used Scamps at present.

Scared to two anything bigger, but I don't want to be or feel unbearably crowded.

One Scamp has a bathroom/shower; the other doesn't. I'm going to be living in the camper at least a year, so not sure about the porta potti or showering in a utilities tent in cold weather, but the non-bathroom one is roomier.

Thoughts? Should I quickly look for a 16 instead? Of course, I might not find one by now!!

Thanks so much, Margaret
My wife and I travel extensively together in a Scamp13D front bath. We LOVE IT! And never feel crowded. You could convert the bottom of the front closet for one dog and the other could sleep under the bed.Or they could sleep on the floor.
There is also the possibility of bringing a dog carrier and have one sleep in it under the awning when it seems appropriate.
BTW. I alone weigh almost as much as you and both of your dogs.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My wife and I travel extensively together in a Scamp13D front bath. We LOVE IT! And never feel crowded. You could convert the bottom of the front closet for one dog and the other could sleep under the bed.Or they could sleep on the floor.
There is also the possibility of bringing a dog carrier and have one sleep in it under the awning when it seems appropriate.
BTW. I alone weigh almost as much as you and both of your dogs.
woohoo, that's just what I needed to hear. And you do have the bath . . . I assume that makes winter camping easier . . . .
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I used to have a 13 with a bath, 2 adults and one 65lb dog and would get one again in a minute. Actually regret selling it.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #5

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
My only question would be if you want a dinette separate from the bed. In the 13' they are one in the same, so you would have to take down the bed every day if you want a dinette. For me, that's a bit small.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
My first FG trailer was a 13' Casita with bath for me, wife and 65 lb dog We loved it but at the time wanted to move up to sleep a grandkid. Of course, now I've gotten spoiled with more room.
Walt
Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Hi, Margaret!
We had a wonderful Scamp 13 standard which camped several times for 4 with 4 big dogs!!! The daughter n hubby pub crawled while we went to bed. Th dogs got the floor and under bed/dinette area. Kids got th bunks/couch. Was loads of fun, but great weather. Would have been another story if rainy n stuck in th camper, eh?!
I do recommend a 16 with side bath. You'll be happier and so will poochies! Get the front bunk/couch and basically leave the bed/ dinettes set up as a bed with pretty cover n pillows for day use. We now have a 19' Escape... Lighter than a 16' Scamp...and everyone is happy! Find a used one in good condition for best buy!
Let us know what you finally get!
Happy Trails from Texas!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
My only question would be if you want a dinette separate from the bed. In the 13' they are one in the same, so you would have to take down the bed every day if you want a dinette. For me, that's a bit small.
Here's what I would do for only one person. I'd ditch the big table and build a bridge across the back of the dinette wide enough to serve as a single bed, making it into a U-shaped seating area. A small pedestal table or even a folding TV table would easily serve for indoor dining, and there'd be space to sit on the sides without disturbing the bed at the back.

Floyd has done this- hope he will see this and show you pictures.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Bill and Sandra, whats your secret it seems like you must have had a really heavy Scamp or a really light Escape 19?
The Escape 19's weighed here seemed to average 1000lbs more than the Scamp 16's, curious.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
My wraparound couch design can be configured into a 34" bunk and a 20" two person dinette table permanently setup on the widebed models while still having the option to drop the table and make it into a full bed.
With the older standard model that would be a full 30" bunk and a 14" wide dinette table. The seating would of course still be wraparound for roomy comfort.

The pictures show the 20" table set up with the bench at 24" all around. The rear pulls out to 34" if a person were to travel alone leaving the table up.... or drop the table and make the 54" bed for two.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic012.JPG   scamp pictures 009.jpg  

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #11

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
13foot and two dogs? Bathroom reflections for 62 YO bladder.

In the end there is no answer to that question. It depends. RE: bathroom, I don't know much about your ability to 'hold it' at night, but that is something to be considered. Showering isn't IMHO as big a deal. But if you are willing to sneak out and pee in the woods at 2 a.m. then that changes the picture considerably. I suspect you are not going to like it in February, or in the rain, and it may make you feel vulnerable. I never thought I would covet a bathroom in that tiny space, but I do. I know most camp sites frown on using the woods, but let's face it ladies, we know the guys do it, and so do I. I carry my little TP back and drop it in the camp fire pit, disposing of it in the a.m. My philosophy is urine is sterile!
We have a 13’ Scamp, there are two of us and THREE dogs (40, 55 and 115 pounds-we don’t sleep in the Scamp, but outside with the damn dogs in a screened gazebo that attaches in a fashion to the Scamp, makes it into a two living space arrangement-makes all the difference), I would say ....it is TOO small! But I think one person and two small dogs would be fine. Lighter to pull, easy to maneuver , lots of advantages to small size, the bathroom, I’d go for the bathroom.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #12

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I have had 2 w/o a bath and now have one with a bath. I have a 100 pound dog and we do just fine.
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Floyd, That is awesome! When the newness wears off for me and I need a project I am going to try this.
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #14

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My wraparound couch design can be configured into a 34" bunk and a 20" two person dinette table permanently setup on the widebed models while still having the option to drop the table and make it into a full bed.
With the older standard model that would be a full 30" bunk and a 14" wide dinette table. The seating would of course still be wraparound for roomy comfort.

The pictures show the 20" table set up with the bench at 24" all around. The rear pulls out to 34" if a person were to travel alone leaving the table up.... or drop the table and make the 54" bed for two.
Floyd's design is great. This is essentially what we have with the Parkliner, and I love it. U shaped area in the back and bath in front. I sleep across the back on a 25" bed; dogs are on the floor and side bench. In the Parkliner we also have a very long bench down the driver's side, and that's where my hubby sleeps. Wish we'd thought of the U design in our old Boler.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Registry
I have a 13 with bath and two small dogs. I wouldn't do it without the bath, I hate peeing in the woods at night in the cold. I'm going to change the standard bed to a U shape, the design I just saw on the scamp site looks totally doable for me - and I'm terrible with tools. Good luck and happy scamping.
Kkightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #16

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
In my opinion, it's too small.

Camping in a 13' trailer and living in the same trailer are two very different things. In my view a bathroom is essential for your particular situation and 13' with bathroom is very small. There is also the question of how often do expect to actually tow the trailer or will you be stationary for extended periods of time?

In either case I would seriously consider something bigger and don't fear Margaret, the 16' trailer is not much different then the 13' from a towing perspective. It may even tow better and you won't regret the extra space.

Randy
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
In my opinion, it's too small.

Camping in a 13' trailer and living in the same trailer are two very different things. In my view a bathroom is essential for your particular situation and 13' with bathroom is very small. There is also the question of how often do expect to actually tow the trailer or will you be stationary for extended periods of time?

In either case I would seriously consider something bigger and don't fear Margaret, the 16' trailer is not much different then the 13' from a towing perspective. It may even tow better and you won't regret the extra space.

Randy

LOL I was thinking the same thing.. I have a 16 for just me and a dog.. and I would not want to go smaller, even for short trips.

But I did not chime in because the fact is, this is very individualized decision, and what works or does not work for me might not apply to anyone else.

And when you consider the other questions the OP has asked in similar threads, it becomes very hard to know what is best.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Escape weighs 2200lbs. Similar to a Scamp 16 with bath.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #19

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
Oh my, we were just tonight talking about a wrap aroun couch and smaller table....this should be a new thread?
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Yes, the one with the bathroom has the bed/dinette combo, which is a bit of a drag.

But at least the dogs could sit on the seats.

I've already figured out how I could sew two sheets together to make kind of a "sleeping bag" so I wouldn't have to remake the bed every night.

Of course I would prefer a dedicated bed AND a bathroom.

But . . . I have to go with what's available.

Margaret

Tags
scamp