Younger Next Year - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Younger Next Year

Younger Next Year is about how to improve the final 1/3rd of your life, hopefully your retirement years. It's well worth reading and will definitely improve your life even if you don't follow the main theme of the book. It simply contains a lot of information that can makes one's life better.

Unwittingly Ginny and I subscribe to the theme of this book, not nearly to the extent the authors propose but sufficiently over our 18 years on the road to make a difference in our lives. I highly suggest this book to anyone considering fulltiming.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

Florida
I shouldn't have put this under fulltiming. The book's message applies to everyone regardless of age or lifestyle. Basically if you want to live, you need to exercise your body, and do it regularly. Some people follow the suggestions to the letter and seem to be significantly rewarded, others follow more lightly and are also rewarded but not as dramatically.

We are in the latter category. We discovered the concept accidentally during 18 years of travel but will now engage a little more fully.

I finished the book in two days and am digesting the messages. One key concept is that we need to practice health care so we minimize our need for medical care. Our doctor is a great practicer of health care, the reason we head to North Carolina to see him each year. As I've said often on the forum, he says if you want to get well, 'buy an RV and hit the road' . It's not simply about exercising your body but your mind/spirit as well.

The day I said to Ginny, we're going home and quit our jobs, buy an RV and hit the road was just a great day.

Of course the book does not suggest buying an RV though it does talk about downsizing. However we discovered many aspects of the book when we hit the road. It's clear that a healthy life is related to how you treat your body and how use your mind and how you interface with others.

One issue not heavily covered is the minimization of stress. Over 18 years of life on the road has dramatically reduced the stress in our lives in lots of small and big ways. A small thing but example non the less is accepting wrinkles. Ginny tells people we don't have an iron, 'Norm says we have to accept the wrinkled look'. Those wrinkles extend to our bodies as well as our clothes. We are quite happy with who we are and our age. This month we both turn 75 and look forward to 10 more years on the road.

Give the book a try. There's much in it to learn, a lot more than wrinkles.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Florida
Another area covered in the book is everyday retirement. For many retirement is truly traumatic. The book suggests various ways to minimize the negative effects aspect to of retirement.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Excellent Book fo tru!

Norm is absolutely correct!

These books, both female and male versions are excellent. Since I have knee issues I am no longer able to run for cardio, but now have a road bike (bicycle) for cardio. Carolyn walks 5 mi. per day and I join her a few times per week as well.

This is all about QUALITY of life as we age.

So as we travel, each of our overnights must include 1.5 hours of time to get our daily walk in. Easy to do when we are on Jekyll Island with miles and miles of beach.

Cheers,

BatDude
Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Good point about stress. I sold books in schools for 25 years and had very little stress... teachers would say to me how they wished they could do what I do. Last year I taught 7th grade math, and almost buckled under the stress the first month...what a pressure cooker. Now I am going back this fall to selling books under my own new company name, and stress is nil. I feel like I aged 5 years just last year.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #6

Florida
Hi Mike.

"How much time do we have left?"

It certainly would be nice to know. Certainly not enough. I guess the key is what you do with the time.

Glad you reduced your stress level and wish you a good year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

Florida
It's difficult for many to exercise regularly. My method is to do my exercises immediately after waking up and before Ginny's up. It taked me about a half hour. When finished I go on the Internet until Ginny's up when we share breakfast. After breakfast the second part of the exercise begins when my friends pick me up for our morning walk. This is my 6 day a week routine in the winter. A nice steady habit makes it work.

Typically after our walk there's a park work project. The goal is to finish by noon, because at our age 'we're half a day men'. We need to spend time with our wives. Last year we instituted hump day, each Wednesday. We really call it wive's day. The men found themselves taking on too many projects. My good friend Ed says "happy wife, happy life".

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #8

Florida
I m 75 today. My Just retired son called while he was out on a practice run practicing for fulltiming. He wished me a happy 74th, because of the book.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Nice information

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I m 75 today. My Just retired son called while he was out on a practice run practicing for fulltiming. He wished me a happy 74th, because of the book.
Great advice. You are right on.
My wife had a stressful job and her health was bad, and had been getting worse. The family got her to retire 2 years ago. 6 months after retiring her health got worse. Our oldest daughter told her, Mom watch FORK OVER KNIVES on netflix. My friend did and it saved her life.
Well we did and it has changed our life. My wife is off 5 medicine's now. 90% of her health problems have gone away. Her heart doctor told her her way of eating will fix her heart disease and no longer needed her medicine.
Her family doctor was confused how she reversed her problems,but was pleased. For the first time she was told she was in perfect health and do not need to see until next year.
Since that time, What the health has comes out.
To complete our journey for better health, we are getting a Snoozy and start traveling.
My of 45 years has said, if theses steps had not taken place, she would not be here today.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Great advice. You are right on.
My wife had a stressful job and her health was bad, and had been getting worse. The family got her to retire 2 years ago. 6 months after retiring her health got worse. Our oldest daughter told her, Mom watch FORK OVER KNIVES on netflix. My friend did and it saved her life.
Well we did and it has changed our life. My wife is off 5 medicine's now. 90% of her health problems have gone away. Her heart doctor told her her way of eating will fix her heart disease and no longer needed her medicine.
Her family doctor was confused how she reversed her problems,but was pleased. For the first time she was told she was in perfect health and do not need to see until next year.
Since that time, What the health has comes out.
To complete our journey for better health, we are getting a Snoozy and start traveling.
My of 45 years has said, if theses steps had not taken place, she would not be here today.

Jack, First we wish you well in your travels and of course wish you the best of health. Second, our doctor jokes about patients who have surrendered, in a sense, their health to their job or whatever. It is clear with a little effort we can be better.

Our doctor says jokingly to people that are like I used to be, "Buy and RV and hit the road".

Our doctor provides us with his home email but also his practice has an online contact system that we use to keep him informed. I wrote to him about Younger Next Year. He already had a copy and said we have made the kind of changes outlined in the book...we say thanks to his gentle encouragement.

You can get better. You don't need to jump off a cliff to accomplish it. Just start moving in the right direction, make it a habit, gradually and surely you'll get better.

Wishing Jack and all the best of health possible and safe travels down the road and through life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

Florida
Entering our 18th year

A real milestone for me as we enter our 18th year. I am happy to say we're getting healthier at least for our age group. This year our doctor told us we're his best 75 year olds. I attribute most of it to our change in lifestyle.

We're forever trying experiments in eating usually for only short terms. In the end we adapt something from every little thing we try. It's obvious from numerous studies that eating less, particularly less of the bad items found in most foods, makes for a better life.

I am now approaching 80 pounds lost in weight over these 18 years. Really not a lot of loss per year but every year we lose a little. We rarely traditionally diet, rarely directly focusing on losing weight. However we're always conscious of what we eat, conscious of trying to live better. Even in our little Scamp we have room for a scale and regularly weigh ourselves.

This past month we tried the Whole30 menu for 30 days, we can do anything for 30 days, you know a little mental challenge and I manged to lose 10 pounds, pushing me down to 179. I have not weighed 179 since I was 19. I shortly will be 76. It's amazing what is possible even for an old guy.

I attribute a most of what's happen to our road life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You guys need a new avatar picture, showing your new thin look.....congrats on staying healthy. I'm only 4 years behind you....
Old 03-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You guys need a new avatar picture, showing your new thin look.....congrats on staying healthy. I'm only 4 years behind you....
Jim,

It's been a gradual process, none of this "one month to better health ads". Our doctor has a website portal where we can look at our history. Actually every year I've lost weight. Sometimes only a couple of pounds a year, but always in the direction of improvement.

Of course one of the things we make room for every year, in our rather limited space, is a scale, a device we use as a regular reminder of our direction. I also bring a small set of weights to do my almost daily morning exercises. We're in no way fanatics but we are conscious about how much we eat and what we eat.

As we get ready to head off to Newfoundland, we joke of the danger in Newfoundland bread.

On our Whole30 food plan, we had to totally give up all sweeteners, grains, beans and bread.

As most 75 year olds would say I wish I was smarter younger.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I am two years behind ya, gonna catch you. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
mike my wife taught elementary for 34 years I recall her first year even though she had done some assisting teaching her first year was pretty much sink or swim! There is really no simple way to learn teaching skills that I know of!

my occupation was selling to schools, restaurants all sorts of food service I was the knife and fork guy for 40 years I got to be the expert in a 300m radius of my home base. I loved every minute of it I loved getting up at 4am to get to a place 200m away by 8am to beat out my competition! I loved it when some place would call in a tizzy because their dishwasher had quit working and I could most of the time solve their problem over the phone!

Most of all I loved those people who ran those huge kitchens and how they handled untold stress every day.

I retired at 62 I could see the time coming when I wasn't needed and a few short yeas later I wasn't our industry had changed. at 76 I have never had any exercise plan or a dietery plan I am pretty active taking care of our little homestead.

at 76 and 4 operations I consider each and every day a bonus I don't worry much about what can happen in the future as only one person truly knows that outcome!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #16

Florida
Bob, I certainly agree about not know when the game is going to end. I just want to have as much fun as we can. Unfortunately I really did not take care of myself as I might have.

I've been medically fortunate, my only overnight in a hospital was for my birth. I hope it stays that way.

It's amazing how life can feel your time be it your homestead or our road travels. Both choices. We choose the road for the different stimulation it provides and the 24/7 time together. I always compare it to summers with your best friend.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16