17B versus 19' Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
17B versus 19' Escape

I see merit to both the 17 B and the 19' Escapes. I notice the rear bed grows and the front dinette also grows in the 19'. Appears remaining additional length is distributed evenly.

I'd travel mostly solo. Anyone with a strong view toward either? The 19' is around $5,000 more $CA.

I would love to see either or both in Denver, and would honor a referral. Thank you.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
British Columbia
There are several threads on this on the Escape forum, see a few below.
Seems like quite a few people end up with the 19 but not everyone. Good luck with your decision.
Questions about 17 vs 19 ft Escape - Toyota Tacoma v6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
The 17 or The 19 ... That is the question ... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
17 vs 19 and boondocking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Spencer doodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I see merit to both the 17 B and the 19' Escapes. I notice the rear bed grows and the front dinette also grows in the 19'. Appears remaining additional length is distributed evenly.

I'd travel mostly solo. Anyone with a strong view toward either? The 19' is around $5,000 more $CA.

I would love to see either or both in Denver, and would honor a referral. Thank you.
Tom, I think it depends on a few things. First, what features are important to you in the long term, and second, what are you planning to tow with. We could probably tow a 17 with my wife's SUV, but not our 19. That's always a consideration. We love that the 19 offers a true queen bed AND a 4 person dinette. These features may or may not be important to you. Lastly, we like the tandem axles the towing experience with them.

Spend some time touring different models. Once you've spent some time in them, it's pretty easy to decide. At least, it was for us.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Two totally different layouts. Not just two more feet of space and storage. You'll figure out which works best for you... but it's not just length.

I'm also a solo traveler. The best layout for me was the 5.0TA YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:46 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Tom,
Contact ETI, they will put you in touch with one near you to view. On a recent cross country trip I was stopped 4 times at gas stations to display our Escape.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We originally ordered the 17B without ever being inside one (we had only seen a 19 up to that point). About a month before ours went into production, we had an opportunity to be in our first 17B, and immediately changed our order.

You will be amazed how much difference 2 feet can make. The 19 is also wider, which makes it feel so much bigger also.

To us, the 19 is the perfect layout, with the permanent queen bed, and the larger dinette.

We have also been inside the 21, and while it is even bigger, the layout does not appeal to us at all.

So I think once you get a chance to be inside the different models, it will become clear which will work best for you.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Average trip length in time? Define "mostly" in mostly solo?

On weekends only, a smaller trailer should be fine. As trips get longer, space can be more important. If your sometimes additional guest means sleeping in the same bed, then the larger bed 19 is a better choice.

Larger dinette in the 19 is a definite benefit, not just for larger groups either. The extra table space can be nice for setting up a computer, a coffee maker, whatever.

If you don't need a bath, a 15A would be a nice choice too. 15B (bath model) means no separate dinette. Of course, that size is no longer made so it would mean buying used.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #8

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Born Free
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Tom, I think it depends on a few things. First, what features are important to you in the long term, and second, what are you planning to tow with. We could probably tow a 17 with my wife's SUV, but not our 19. That's always a consideration. We love that the 19 offers a true queen bed AND a 4 person dinette. These features may or may not be important to you. Lastly, we like the tandem axles the towing experience with them.

Spend some time touring different models. Once you've spent some time in them, it's pretty easy to decide. At least, it was for us.
Robert,
What is your wife's SUV? I have a Pilot with AWD (tow rating 5000, tongue weight 500) and I would love to get a 19, but not if it is too much for the Pilot.
corgicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgicat View Post
Robert,
What is your wife's SUV? I have a Pilot with AWD (tow rating 5000, tongue weight 500) and I would love to get a 19, but not if it is too much for the Pilot.
Bonnie, I'm not Robert, but can say that we tow our 19 with a 2013 Pathfinder, which has similar specs as your Pilot, and we have been very pleased with that combination.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #10

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Robert,
As Greg mentioned, there are some SUVs that will tow a 19 quite well. My wife's SUV won't, since it's a Lincoln MKX, with a 3500 lb towing capacity. A 5000 lb towing capacity, such as in a Honda Pilot, should do fine. As always though, pay attention to other numbers besides max towing, such as GCWR and your tow vehicle's payload capacity.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #11

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
For us, the decision for a 17 was based on the storage area we had in our yard. The 19 is longer, wider, and taller. This could be good, but for us it made it too difficult to store. Since we came from a 13' Scamp our 17' seems spacious!
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #12

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Robert,
We have friends that tow their 19' Escape with a Honda Pilot and report no problems. They did get an equalizer hitch for it. We tow our 19' Escape with a Honda Ridgeline (5,000 lb tow capacity) and are happy with our combination - no equalizer (Honda does not recommend it) or sway bar, although we may add one for extra piece of mind at some point. Tows beautifully as is.

We seriously considered the 17 footer, but decided the bath was a little tight and with less headroom than in the 19. Plus, for the longer trips we like to take, having more storage space and general elbow room were deciding factors for us. I would think for a solo traveler, the 17 could be an excellent choice though.

Do contact ETI and they will set you up with owners in your area who are willing to show you their trailers.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I will contact ETI again. Unbeknownst to them, one 19 they put me in touch with was stored in a warehouse with limited access. In Denver that probably means it is in a pot growhouse. ...Kidding, I think. The extra width of the 19' appeals to me. I toured a 17' Casita Liberty and an Escape 17A about an hour apart. The Casita would work. The Escape works better. A larger dinette/bed is a point for the 19. I travel solo but would welcome relatives and friends. I will initially tow with my Sprinter van, tow rated at 5,000. It is a decade old, but only has 43,000 miles, all mine. I bought it to convert, but I am past that.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #14

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
A larger dinette/bed is a point for the 19.
You can say that again. The queen bed is our favorite feature. We slept ok on the stock mattress the first two years, but recently swapped it out for a gel memory foam mattress and it's amazing how well we sleep on it.
Quote:
I will initially tow with my Sprinter van, tow rated at 5,000. It is a decade old, but only has 43,000 miles, all mine.
Interesting choice. I like it. You'll have lots of storage as well.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: Escape19 on order
Nevada
Interesting.... All some of my own thoughts, as well. I am toying with a 17' Casita, a 17B Escape and the 19 Escape. My TV is a 2011 Toyota 4Runner 4WD, rated at 5000 pounds. I currently pull a little 4 X 8 teardrop, and the thought of jumping all the way up to the 19 is somewhat intimidating to me. Oh, decisions, decisions....
Grandmas Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmas Carol View Post
Interesting.... All some of my own thoughts, as well. I am toying with a 17' Casita, a 17B Escape and the 19 Escape. My TV is a 2011 Toyota 4Runner 4WD, rated at 5000 pounds. I currently pull a little 4 X 8 teardrop, and the thought of jumping all the way up to the 19 is somewhat intimidating to me. Oh, decisions, decisions....

Welcome to FGRV Carol, your tug will handle a lot of TTs
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17 b, 17b, 17b versus 19, 19', compare, escape