1986 13ft Uhaul $2800 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/rvs/1596612957.html

Quote:
forsale 1986 uhaul camper trailer 13 feet long, these trailers are a collecters item, there are clubs for them. when uhaul rented them they were built with everything heavy duty. people love to restore them to their original beauty. has two burner propane stove with exhaust hood,sink ,water holding tank, self igniting furnace,solar charger for battery, swamp cooler in roof, not original commode added in front where bunks were, table folds down to bed for two, ice box , storage cupboards over sink stove area. duel converter system for electrical runs on battery or regular current. interior lights. pictures to follow. Call (716-326-7522) for more information.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   3n03p13le5O55P35S2a2ceb43e1b1670d1de6.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  5.1 KB
[attachment=31142:3n43p43o...b6311e04.
jpg]

Name:   3na3m93ld5T95Pf5R4a26b749df2729e91eec.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  4.9 KB
[attachment=31144:3ne3p13l...4d101af6.
jpg]
Attached Images

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Too bad they don't show more of the "bathroom" conversion. You can just see the wall way on the right hand side of the interior photo.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
I talked to the seller today. A really friendly fellow. Said he had nothing to do with the bathroom conversion (prior owner did the mod). Owned it for 10-12 years - very friendly and happy to answer questions.

This is the one I want! I think I have only seen two or three 13'ers with a bathroom or some kind of bathroom mod (not just a porta-potty in the space under the bunks). I really want one with a bathroom.

From my limited knowledge and from what I have read, it appears that when it comes to bathrooms there is no middle ground - folks either love or hate them. I am still in the love them camp. I keep thinking how cool it would be to have a little bathroom for the 2am potty-run that would not require flip-flops through the mud to a dark camp bathroom. My wife loves the idea and since we dont have any kids (yet), its kind of a luxury we'd forsake the bunks/couch for.

I hear folks who are looking at this one would like to tear it out! Yikes! If any of the east coast folks here buy it only to mod it back to the original layout, let me know. I was thinking (is this crazy?) but if someone wanted a U Haul with the bunks (we have those closer to here in CA -> AZ, OR, WA) that I could pick up one with bunks closer to here and perhaps meet to do a swap half-way. It would cost us only a couple of days driving - but not (potentially) a couple of months gutting or doing mods. Outlandish perhaps, but I would be 100% down to do something like this.

I also thought it would be one heck of a way to kick off my start in the glass camping world...!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
I keep thinking how cool it would be to have a little bathroom for the 2am potty-run that would not require flip-flops through the mud to a dark camp bathroom.

Just a quick consideration for you, Chet.

If your primary motivation for a "bathroom" is to accommodate late-night tinkles, a port-a-potty functions perfectly well. Sure, they don't have the holding capacity of an on-board commode/black water tank set-up, but overall they provide lots of flexibility and much less maintenance hassles.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
much less maintenance hassles.
Here's a vote for a real bathroom! Not into hauling a tank of urine/pooooooo around. Much rather hook up to the dump and deal with it that way. I got to vote against you on this Robert.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Okay, I'll chime in. Like Robert said, if you just really want to have a bathROOM, then, well, there is room for one.

But if, like you say, you just don't want to go outside/walk to the bathroom at night, then you don't necessarily need to give up 1/3 of the trailer. And if you don't want to deal with cleaning a Porta Potti, I'll suggest WAG bags. You can use them in a Porta Potti shell, in a 5-gallon bucket, or in their own folding toilet seat (by all reports I've read, it's much more substantial and real-toilet-like than it looks; and then it folds flat).

You would go broke if you used a WAG bag 24/7/365 but for intermittent use I think they're great.

One other note is that if you do have a full bathroom with a shower, don't forget to think about the ramifications of the excess moisture and humidity.

Oh, and another idea for late night privacy is to have a curtain that pulls across to isolate the double bed, a la Pullman cars. Then the whole rest of the trailer can be a private room . And it has a dual purpose as if someone wants to sleep in (or just have some private space) while the other is up and about, well, it does that too.

Not trying to talk you out of a bathroom, but just listing some other considerations.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We had a 13' Burro before we got the 16' UHaul. While the UHaul has a porta-potty that slides under the front seat through a hole in the privacy room, I would not return to a situation without the bathroom. Tripping over the porta-potty in the middle of the Burro at night and early morning was a huge pain. I would guess the hubby does not miss having it to deal with as soon as he woke up.

Just a word of caution - in the world of fiberglass, you can't wait to make decisions. Go for it; make it a trip. Stop at Niagra Falls, follow Route 66, take in a park or two. Or get the owner to keep it over the winter and wait to pick it up in the spring. There is talk of a New England UHaul rally going on over at uhaulcamper.com. You could pick up your trailer and join the rest of us (if we are able to go and if it happens).

CindyL

Old 02-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #9

Registry
so much to consider and all of these are salient points.

i would want to re-do all plumbing myself. a hassle, sure. but the good thing about starting from scratch is knowing exactly how i did it and with so many good materials these days, you can really plumb a sound system. working on boats (and bathrooms) has given me a new appreciation for modern (albeit microscopic!) close-quarters plumbing. i was even thinking of retrofitting the Scamp bathroom kit into a uHaul. would need to compare specs, but even then I think a sound mod could offer up something nice.

being practical, i will still look into a semi-mod perhaps involving a porta-potti and some kind of accordion door privacy or a double-hinged door dealio (which i saw a cool animation of here on another thread. it was brilliant in terms of form and function as it affords privacy and total concealment in just seconds).

again, it seems to be a love or hate thing - and for us, since we have no children (yet) and i too have seen and dealt with a few shady characters near camp bathrooms. i think i would be happy to sacrifice the space to a cool little bathroom and of course, subsequent maintenance. it would certainly be decadent, but i really like the idea of being able to not just hook up - but to go off grid and be completely self-contained for a 3-day weekend, all the while knowing my wife is safe and comfy.

thanks again for all of the input. the idea of a trip out east while taking in a few parks on the maiden voyage home was actually something i discussed with my wife. hmmm...
if the rally is a go, and we get lucky ... count me in. thanks Cindy!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #10

Registry
You could always stop in Chicago (Oak Park) and say hi. We have one of the rare 16' Uhauls. It is within a few weeks of having the winter cover removed for our annual trip to Pine Ridge, SD where we volunteer on the Rez and use our UHaul for carrying donations and sleeping.

Cindy
Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #11

Paul Chet, you may want to consider a trip the Oregon gathering in July Oregon Gathering if you haven't found your perfect trailer.

There you would be in glass heaven! Lot's of models, brands, and knowledgeable glass owners .................. You don't need a trailer to attend, they have Yurt's which are a wonderful experience if you have never stayed in one. And it would let you just enjoy all the glass options. Help you get an idea of what type would work best for your camping needs.

There is also the Blue Bonnet Rally coming up in the spring if your into traveling to TX. Not sure there is as many glass options there, but I am sure they have a good selection of trailers to tour.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #12

Registry
thank you kindly for the invite Cindy! i will certainly keep this in mind if we do something crazy and go for it! plus ... i also happen to be a HUGE Frank Lloyd Wright fan and understand he has some fine examples of his craft in and around the Oak Park area! its a no-brainer!

Robin - if for whatever reason i dont have something by then, i will certainly put this on the calendar. heck, even if i do - it would be a great way to get involved in glass-world. i have stayed in Yurts before too. we even had a little wood burning stove in ours. yurt or egg, either way it would be a fun trip and its the one corner of the country i have never been to (hoping to take care of that with my bad new/old 13' whatever!).

thanks again for the support and info all!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #13

Registry
Yep, and there are several Wright houses around us. We live in the historical district (with our historical trailer).

CindyL

Tags
u-haul, uhaul