2008 Bigfoot 2500 series 17.5 cb $19000 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #1

Name: Hank
Trailer: In the market
Mississippi
2008 Bigfoot 2500 series 17.5 cb $19000

I found this Bigfoot camper nearby and they are asking $19,000 for it. Is this a fair deal? How do you go about researching a fair price for a camper of this age? I checked out NADA and could not get close to this price.

https://northmiss.craigslist.org/rvs...757864416.html

If I go look at the camper...are there any problem items for this era Bigfoot that I should be concerned with?

Thanks!
hank89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
I own a 1994 that I bought for $8,000 but I've had to do some work on it. I can tell you that they are very cool trailers.

There are not many of these units out there and even fewer for sale. One frame of reference might be the price of a new one although it will have some features that are not on the one you are looking at.

Here is what I know about some similar trailers that sold in the NW over that past few months.

1998 in very good condition @ asking price $13,500 sold in about 2 months
2006 in very good condition @ asking price $13,500 sold in 2 days

And, a 2006 or 2007 sold recently in AK; I don't remember the price but it was a lot less than $19,000.

Ultimately, though, I think it comes down to one thing which is is what a particular trailer is worth to you.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
This is a CB (center bath) model. There is also a Gaucho model. In the 2500 series, the Gaucho appears to be slightly more desirable. Not knowing the overall condition, it's hard to make a solid evaluation of the price, and this time of year is not peak selling season. The NADA book is not accurate on any molded fiberglass units. Molded fiberglass trailers are not sold thru a vast network of dealers. Bigfoot has a few (maybe 5) factory stores in the entire US. Other molded fiberglass trailers are sold factory direct, and the demand is so great that used trailers are not traded in and resold.

All in all, depending on condition and seller motivation, 19K is not ridiculously high. Price a new one from a factory store and I'll bet the asking price is in the high 30's.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
You can go on this site link below, click on trailers for sale in U.S. and Canada on top bar then click on Bigfoot. Also click on Trailers sold to the right on top bar and do the same, click on Bigfoot. Lots of useful sales data from trailers that sold as well as date and area of respective county.

2008 was the 30th Anniversary for Bigfoot. I have a 2008 Bigfoot 25B25FB Anniversary model. The one you will be looking at is new enough to avoid the window seal problems before and up to 2005 or 06'. Other than that, regardless of year, they are well built and have few problems if taken care of. Obviously 2008 is the newest of the older trailers before plant closure.

When looking at price, like I said, compare year and model to the ones on the site I gave a link to below. Consider also the newness, and availability. It does cost a bit to drive across county or out of state to go get one. That definitely should figure into what you are willing to pay in my opinion. 19K for a local 2008 you can easily visit vs. 17 k for say a 2005 that is three states away is not a bad price. Just ask anyone who has looked for a used Bigfoot and the difficulty involved. They go fast if nice.

One negotiation point is tire age. If tires are more than 5 years old see if he would come down the price of a new set, in this case two tire on a 17.5 model. Tire week and year produced on sidewall after D.O.T letters. Good luck.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Washington
Just went back and saw that you are in Mississippi. I would definitely say if the trailer that you plan to look at is in excellent condition, then that is not a bad price. You will not see many of these trailers for sale at all, let alone in the southern states. Food for thought.

Personally if you do decide to purchase the trailer you may want to consider spending an extra $100-$125 or so to have a reputable RV service shop check everything out and make sure everything works like the furnace, fridge, A/C , etc. Then there is no surprises. If a shop isn't handy, owner should be able to demonstrate them working. Pull out the awning as well to check it's condition. Again....good luck!
Old 11-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Washington
Here is a current sale in Canada on a 2004 17.5 model. Canadian $22,500 which is probably $19-$20k U.S. It is four years older and as I said falls within the time period of some window seal problems.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...travel-trailer
Old 11-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
In the molded fiberglass market, convenience can be worth a lot. So if you are close by, go look at it. I drove ten hours ONE way to get my Escape used, and drove even farther to get my Trillium.

Then you have the long drive I made where I passed on a trailer. Convenience is KING!

I would look carefully at where the owner removed the awning rail. Easy to leave problems behind....

I did a quick search via C/L search Tempest. Not many out there. 75% are scammer ads, easy to spot.

If this one is legit, I'd take a look at it too.

https://cenla.craigslist.org/rvs/d/b...730045688.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #8

Washington
Just went back and looked at you post. Didn't look at the trailer link before, but that front storage box is a $2000 option and very desirable. I have one on mine. Can't begin to tell you how much extra storage it gives me. I felt fortunate to find a Bigfoot with it.

That trailer also has the bottom paint trim option as well in gold. Definitely a loaded 2008 17.5 model. My 2008 25B25FB has the other bottom trim color offered which was plum.

Definitely a decent price in my opinion considering it was about as good as you could get in 2008 with those options on a 17.5. Definitely loaded and you don't need tires as they are new. Brand new awning as well. If taken care of you won't lose much later if you decide to sell. Beautiful trailer. He also said in the ad, "cash is king". I would wager you could potentially offer 17K cash and get it....if not definitely $17.5K or $18K

The 21' on craigslist is a great price if as mentioned, legit. However, sometimes things that seem to good to be true, are not. Just a word of caution.
Attached Thumbnails
08BF28.jpg  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #9

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
In the molded fiberglass market, convenience can be worth a lot. So if you are close by, go look at it. I drove ten hours ONE way to get my Escape used, and drove even farther to get my Trillium.

Then you have the long drive I made where I passed on a trailer. Convenience is KING!

I would look carefully at where the owner removed the awning rail. Easy to leave problems behind....

I did a quick search via C/L search Tempest. Not many out there. 75% are scammer ads, easy to spot.

Those photos and the description were lifted directly from this SOLD Bigfoot https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...us-condition-0. Sold from Washington state for $18,500 in February.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #10

Name: Hank
Trailer: In the market
Mississippi
Thank you to all of you for your responses!!! I really appreciate it!
Hank
hank89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #11

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

That one's a scam. Pictures and description lifted from a SOLD listing on fiberglass-rv-4sale.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
That one's a scam. Pictures and description lifted from a SOLD listing on fiberglass-rv-4sale.
I kind of figured that. Whenever you see those kind of prices on used Bigfoots newer than say 2000 and 21 or 25 in length, it usually is just that, a scam.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
The one you will be looking at is new enough to avoid the window seal problems before and up to 2005 or 06'. Other than that, regardless of year, they are well built and have few problems if taken care of. Obviously 2008 is the newest of the older trailers before plant closure.

As the owner of a 1994 Bigfoot 17 Gaucho trailer and being unaware of the window problems you mention, I wonder if you would mind providing me some info about those problems or referring me to some posts about them.

I's also be interested to hear more about the plant closures and changes that happened with the Bigfoot company over time. I have been impressed with the features and design of my 24-year old trailer when compared with some newer trailers I have seen. Thanks in advance.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #14

Washington
Hank, here is a link below to a brand new 17.5 Bigfoot 30 minutes north of me at a Bigfoot dealer. Just as a reference, you can see that 17K-19K for that 2008 isn't that bad considering the price new. The new one doesn't have the front box option or the really sharp looking 30th lower trim paint either which would add a bunch. Not even mentioning the difference in the amount of sales tax and licensing fees on a new one.

The one in the ad has the fairly new option of a front bedroom which I personally think is the worst of the floorplans on a 17.5. JMO. If you like the 17.5 model and it suits your needs, I rather doubt you will find one that nice or loaded anytime soon. I was looking for any 17.5, 21 or 25 when we sold our 09' Bigfoot motor home to downsize. If I had run across that particular trailer you are going to look at, I would have without a doubt, if in excellent shape, bought it.

https://www.apachecamping.com/New-In...77546?ref=list
Old 11-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #15

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post
The one you will be looking at is new enough to avoid the window seal problems before and up to 2005 or 06'. Other than that, regardless of year, they are well built and have few problems if taken care of. Obviously 2008 is the newest of the older trailers before plant closure.

As the owner of a 1994 Bigfoot 17 Gaucho trailer and being unaware of the window problems you mention, I wonder if you would mind providing me some info about those problems or referring me to some posts about them.

I's also be interested to hear more about the plant closures and changes that happened with the Bigfoot company over time. I have been impressed with the features and design of my 24-year old trailer when compared with some newer trailers I have seen. Thanks in advance.

If I recall the window seal problems were present in trailers just a few years after 2000. I think the problem was resolved in 05' or 06'. Had to do with vendor I believe. You can search on the Bigfoot forum site for window seal problems or even google that online and perhaps you'll find some information on it. Your 1994 model is as far as I know did not have those issues.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #16

Washington
Here is a post I clipped off the Bigfoot archive site referencing the window seal issue.

"I was told by the rep at Sunview Industries, the manufacture of the Bigfoot windows, that the bad windows were part of 2003, 2004, and 2005. 2006 and after is OK. If there is a way to place an atmospheric vent (small hole) any along the bottom seal between the glass, then this is the fix."
Old 11-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #17

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
This is a CB (center bath) model. There is also a Gaucho model. In the 2500 series, the Gaucho appears to be slightly more desirable. Not knowing the overall condition, it's hard to make a solid evaluation of the price, and this time of year is not peak selling season. The NADA book is not accurate on any molded fiberglass units. Molded fiberglass trailers are not sold thru a vast network of dealers. Bigfoot has a few (maybe 5) factory stores in the entire US. Other molded fiberglass trailers are sold factory direct, and the demand is so great that used trailers are not traded in and resold.

All in all, depending on condition and seller motivation, 19K is not ridiculously high. Price a new one from a factory store and I'll bet the asking price is in the high 30's.
Hank, noticed your comment on the Gaucho model. For what it's worth our very first trailer years and years ago was a late 60's, early 70's Shasta 18' trailer with the center bath floorplan like the trailer you may look at. Can tell you with any reservation that a center bath is an awesome floorplan. Lots of seating for day use and adequate sleeping area for a small trailer. Very similar in room to the Gaucho. JMO.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #18

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacenturion View Post
Hank, noticed your comment on the Gaucho model. For what it's worth our very first trailer years and years ago was a late 60's, early 70's Shasta 18' trailer with the center bath floorplan like the trailer you may look at. Can tell you with any reservation that a center bath is an awesome floorplan. Lots of seating for day use and adequate sleeping area for a small trailer. Very similar in room to the Gaucho. JMO.
It's not really the location of the bath. Its the length of the bed. I have a 94 17-CB ,1500 series and both beds are shorter than I would like. The 1500 series Gaucho has a longer bed, but much a smaller refrigerator. The 2500 series Gaucho would b my preference because of its longer bed and it has a much larger refrigerator. I love my CB model, but would be happier with beds that were a few inches longer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #19

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I've never been in a CB model but from the photos it looks less open than a Gaucho. Still more open than any other fiberglass trailer, but less floor space than the Gaucho. Depends on what you're looking for but I like the more open feel. Biggest drawback is the small fridge, but like Jack mentioned they took care of that in later models.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #20

Washington
Actually not a lot of difference in floorspace between the CB and Gaucho. However as mentioned previously, Gaucho bed is longer. Appears to be slightly more actual floor space in the Gaucho as well, but more usable countertop kitchen area in the CB. CB also has a much larger wardrobe as well as a little larger storage area, which is nice.

One thing about camping is we are generally outside the majority of time. Usually we are inside due to weather. Slight tradeoffs between the two floorplans in my opinion. I would rather have a fully optioned 08' Anniversary model CB like the one in the ad vs a 08' or older Gaucho without the storage box and paint trim. I can tell you from extensive looking that the price difference isn't going to be that great on many 17.5 unless older than say 2000.

Hank for what it's worth, the bottom paint trim option is right at $1200. I looked it up on my build sheet. Couple that with the front box option and that trailer sells for $4000 plus or minus other 17.5's without those options (2004-2008). I also noticed that the 08' also had the generator ready package in case you ever decide to add one.

Keep us posted if you look at it. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
floorplanCB.JPG   FloorplanG.JPG  

Tags
bigfoot