Arctic Fox Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Arctic Fox Trailer

Here is a fiberglass trailer (if you have the horsepower to pull it):

https://bend.craigslist.org/rvd/d/cr...054875941.html
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Their offering 12 year financing so it must be a well built trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Not really. It has fiberglass composite walls, glued to luan plywood.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are a lot of 'fiberglass' trailers for sale. Explain to me why THIS is better than an all-molded-towable...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are a lot of 'fiberglass' trailers for sale. Explain to me why THIS is better than an all-molded-towable...
I think the open floor plan , decor and the color schemes are just wonderful . I especially like the contrast between the flooring and the cabinets .
The one big issue I see is that it only has two slide outs and not three so the balance / flow is kind of screwed up . (Feng Shui)
The color of the trailer stripping would go perfectly with the color of TV
Too bad the dealership / trailer is so far away !
Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
And at only $339/ month
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
And at only $339/ month
Your right , considering all that you get for $339 / month that’s a real bargain when compared against the cost of a Bigfoot or Oliver or Escape .
Old 01-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There was a time, long past, when this manufacturer made a fairly decent full-timer travel trailer, but that time has passed, more than a decade ago, maybe two decades. They produced a unit called the "Nash" which was very popular and the older units command a fairly decent resale value still. This is the type of fiberglass bonded walls that can suffer delamination which renders the unit crap! I see so many of these bonded walls delaming in the RV park, sometimes units that are only a couple of years old!

Like slides? Learn about them before diving in. Cost for repairs is very high, and they will eventually fail, the motors, the gaskets, and often they are leaking when you don't know it and rot out the floor. But, if you looking for DIY projects, it might just be the thing, but include heavy duty lifting equipment that can be rented to complete the work yourself, well, probably with a friend or two

Also, another thing I have observed is people being "upside down" with their loans. For those not familiar with the term, that means, one owes more than the unit is worth.

I am thinking most of the posts looking at this in a positive way are simply "tough and cheek" (humor).

I know the sticky industry like the "back of my hand" as we are on #10. I would argue that many of the stickies way back in the day compared fairly well with the molded fiberglass as many are still on the road, but the newer ones are nothing but crap. I have been in every imaginable forum for RVs and "falling apart" isn't that rare anymore.

Do your research and understand the issues that units present and what you would consider a deal breaker including the molded fiberglass in that research.

Donna D: "Eye Candy", not that yours isn't beautiful to the eye, but the stickie manufacturers, when I go to their websites concentrate very little on anything but the interior decor/fabric choices/counter choices/etc., not the "nuts and bolts" involved!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
There was a time, long past, when this manufacturer made a fairly decent full-timer travel trailer, but that time has passed, more than a decade ago, maybe two decades. They produced a unit called the "Nash" which was very popular and the older units command a fairly decent resale value still. This is the type of fiberglass bonded walls that can suffer delamination which renders the unit crap! I see so many of these bonded walls delaming in the RV park, sometimes units that are only a couple of years old!

Like slides? Learn about them before diving in. Cost for repairs is very high, and they will eventually fail, the motors, the gaskets, and often they are leaking when you don't know it and rot out the floor. But, if you looking for DIY projects, it might just be the thing, but include heavy duty lifting equipment that can be rented to complete the work yourself, well, probably with a friend or two

Also, another thing I have observed is people being "upside down" with their loans. For those not familiar with the term, that means, one owes more than the unit is worth.

I am thinking most of the posts looking at this in a positive way are simply "tough and cheek" (humor).

I know the sticky industry like the "back of my hand" as we are on #10. I would argue that many of the stickies way back in the day compared fairly well with the molded fiberglass as many are still on the road, but the newer ones are nothing but crap. I have been in every imaginable forum for RVs and "falling apart" isn't that rare anymore.

Do your research and understand the issues that units present and what you would consider a deal breaker including the molded fiberglass in that research.

Donna D: "Eye Candy", not that yours isn't beautiful to the eye, but the stickie manufacturers, when I go to their websites concentrate very little on anything but the interior decor/fabric choices/counter choices/etc., not the "nuts and bolts" involved!
We’ve owned 3 different FG trailers ( Scamp , Casita , Escape ) and everyone LEAKED !!
We have friends with 20 year old motorhomes / 5th wheels that have NEVER leaked .
Our Escape cost more than the above mentioned Arctic Fox and possesses about 25% of the features / amenities of the Arctic Fox

I accept the fact that a FG trailer is not for everyone , that for many a FG trailer holds no attraction
We have shown our FG trailer to numerous people who have stated it’s nice but it’s not for us . I respect their opinion and don’t try to “enlighten” them .
Old 01-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Steve: A lot of the issue with "leaks" has to do with maintenance and understanding what needs to be done. My RVing experience goes back to 1984, so those 3 RVs you discuss vs the number of units actually produced, percentage wise, well, you see where that goes. Also, why on earth would you have purchased a fiberglass molded trailer when your friends had such great luck with their stickies, especially after having 2 others?

The worse defect a trailer can have is delamination, thus one will notice the trend toward the aluminum sided units, and many manufacturers have now added them to their lineup.

One more opinion, I can't help but think the original owners of your unit were dumping it after realizing there were issues as I have seen that with other RVs many times! What they say and no matter how nice they are doesn't amount to much when it comes to parting with a large amount of cash, yeah, another of my "enlightening" thoughts that you won't appreciate.

I think most sympathize with your plight, but the continuing practice of attacking others is going to make it more difficult! Sell it and go with the stickie if that will make you happy. They have some less expensive smaller units now being produced that might work.

I just don't understand what it is that you are looking for.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Steve: A lot of the issue with "leaks" has to do with maintenance and understanding what needs to be done. My RVing experience goes back to 1984, so those 3 RVs you discuss vs the number of units actually produced, percentage wise, well, you see where that goes. Also, why on earth would you have purchased a fiberglass molded trailer when your friends had such great luck with their stickies, especially after having 2 others?

The worse defect a trailer can have is delamination, thus one will notice the trend toward the aluminum sided units, and many manufacturers have now added them to their lineup.

One more opinion, I can't help but think the original owners of your unit were dumping it after realizing there were issues as I have seen that with other RVs many times! What they say and no matter how nice they are doesn't amount to much when it comes to parting with a large amount of cash, yeah, another of my "enlightening" thoughts that you won't appreciate.

I think most sympathize with your plight, but the continuing practice of attacking others is going to make it more difficult! Sell it and go with the stickie if that will make you happy. They have some less expensive smaller units now being produced that might work.

I am not attacking anyone or anyones choices
My point is if you were in the market for a trailer and did a limited search on forums such as this , you could be lead to believe that FG is the only rational choice. FG trailers have gone from being a consumer product to being a religion
I refuse to worship at that altar
All I want is a quality trailer that performs well for it’s intended purpose whether it be stick built or FG
Right now both stick built and FG trailers fall far short of that goal

Running down the Arctic Fox trailer shown in the first post may bring pleasure to some and satisfy their agenda but I think it is a nice trailer , well appointed and at a good price .IMHO

You see the same sentiment on auto forums IE ; The brand I own is the best vehicle on the road and everything else is a POS and anyone who doesn’t see it my way is an idiot or ill informed .

Read into my remarks anything that you wish , my only goal is to get the quality of FG trailers to rise to the level of their forum hype .
Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #12

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:16 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have no experience with slides but they just look like a leak waiting to happen. Every time I pass an RV dealer they seem to have a lot full of these types of trailers, so I can't imagine anyone would have trouble buying one at a good price. And I'm certainly willing to learn more especially if someone else is paying the tuition.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:37 AM   #14

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I have no experience with slides but they just look like a leak waiting to happen. Every time I pass an RV dealer they seem to have a lot full of these types of trailers, so I can't imagine anyone would have trouble buying one at a good price. And I'm certainly willing to learn more especially if someone else is paying the tuition.
If you want to learn more, join RV Horror Stories on Facebook. It's a real eye-opener!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The one thing a lot of people forget when looking at a trailer with slides, is can you open the refrigerator door and get to the bathroom with the slides IN? This layout shows you can get to the bathroom from the front door, but it appears you can't get to the kitchen. Those two things are important, if you're a traveler and want to use your trailer as a 'quick stop' for a potty break or to fix lunch while you're moving down the road.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Escape
New York
The only thing I can say is, we picked up our Escape 21 on October 12th 2016 since that time we have lived in it 500 days, roughly 30,000 miles on her and only 3 problems. Water heater problem that I figured out myself, our 6 lb Yorkie jumped through the screen door and ripped the right hand bottom corner which I will replace this summer, and darn it! We finally have to replace our tires before we head home in March . That’s it. Wash it as needed, wax it twice a year with 2 coats applied to the top each time. Check around the vents and things 2 x per year. Wheel bearings and brake service every 10,000. This summer I plan on resealing around things weather it needs it or not.
Of our 3 stickies, only the first one didn’t give us problems. An Aliner. The second one delaminated on the side in 8 months. The third one “ The Sieve” leaked from day one. By the time we sold it, at a 75% loss, it had so much Profelx, silicone, putty, you name it on it that it was probably over GVW before we put anything in it. Just kidding of course on the weight, but that’s my experience.
Jheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I don't much care what anyone else buys in the way of an RV. I am certainly no going to argue with them about how they want to spend their money on what they themselves want to pull down the road.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #18

Name: Herb-in-FL
Trailer: looking to buy
Florida
Leaks - good and bad - whether full fiber or faux

Best to remember,
where leaks might undoubtedly occur,
simply apply a generous swipe
of "dry" wit humor.
Herb-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Built “one at a time”

Little known http://Taylorcoach.com are built one at a time with an emphasis on quality construction (not expensive looks) and lightweight materials.

Our 17 ft 2008 model has never had a leak or any type of structural problem. Normal wear and tear of tires, bearing seals, toilet seal are about the only repairs done.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers John Mc Donald
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #20

Name: Donald
Trailer: Casita
California
Thumbs up Casita

I am enjoying my 17' Casita (with bathroom). It seems to be rock solid.
I am adding a shock absorber kit from Orbital Machine Works. They are a little slow on delivery, but I think it is worth the wait. Apparently, they custom fabricate the parts. What sold me on Casita was the bottom is fiberglass unlike other trailers. I hope f.g. bottom will reduce problems with dry rot which seems to be a common complaint in the industry .
The other issue that seems to come up is vibration and bouncing around.
I have order a shock absorber kit to reduce road shock .
Casita and Scamp appear to be almost identical, but I don't know for sure?
I am looking for an RV Repair company act as in Southern California if anyone a company to recommend to me. It seems RV/TT repair shops are non existent here?? Don
Donald Watts is offline   Reply With Quote