CO: UHaul CT13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
CO: UHaul CT13

For Sale 1984 Uhaul CT13 Camper | Denver CO | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Attached Thumbnails
CT13_CO.JPG  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Lots of Uhauls popping up!

Interesting, a receiver hitch on the rear bumper to tow something?
(I suppose a real balancing act would be needed to keep any fishtailing at bay-maybe a rear camera could keep an eye on things...)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have a receiver on the rear of my Escape 17B. It's intended for a bike rack, but I have a cargo carrier with an aluminum cargo box installed. Never tried to use it to tow anything.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have a receiver on the rear of my Escape 17B. It's intended for a bike rack, but I have a cargo carrier with an aluminum cargo box installed. Never tried to use it to tow anything.
I am inclined to agree that would be the most sensible use of one back there, although I have visions of pulling a little skiff that would not weigh much... Would that even be legal?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I installed a rear receiver on our Uhaul for a bike rack. Have done at least 6000 miles with two bikes on the rack with no towing problems, but have changed bike racks. The Uhaul is not the easiest trailer to install a rear receiver on, I generally will extend the mounting at least 2 feet under the trailer and attach to 2 crossmembers. On the Uhaul I wanted the receiver above the bumper so had to reinforce it in a different manner. Note that this one for sale has an unpainted bumper. I was told that if I was real ambitious I could strip off the black paint and polish the aluminum bumper to look almost like chrome. Since I already have an aluminum trailer to polish the Uhaul bumper will remain painted.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
I am inclined to agree that would be the most sensible use of one back there, although I have visions of pulling a little skiff that would not weigh much... Would that even be legal?
I hear that it is legal in Texas, and some other states. I have a doubles license so maybe I can do it anywhere? Also I saw Elvis do it in a movie!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's the problem. You get to the state border, with your trailer and boat in tow. Then you have to unhitch the boat, tow the trailer across state, drop it, drive back and hitch up the boat and drive that across state.
Depends on state laws. Could work for you within your state, as long as you don't get hung up in a McDonald's drive-thru.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
Great answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Here's the problem. You get to the state border, with your trailer and boat in tow. Then you have to unhitch the boat, tow the trailer across state, drop it, drive back and hitch up the boat and drive that across state.
Depends on state laws. Could work for you within your state, as long as you don't get hung up in a McDonald's drive-thru.
I found this online as well so guess any skiff towing behind the UHaul will be limited to Texas!...

Personal Vehicles
  • In 2009, "Automobile Magazine" published a map of states that do and do not allow double trailer towing; when published, the only states that did not allow double towing were: Washington, Oregon, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Connecticut, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Hawaii. If you plan to tow a travel trailer with a boat behind it, for example, check the laws for each state you will travel through before you go; they may disallow double trailer travel entirely, or may allow it with restrictions on overall length of combined tow vehicle and trailers. The NHTSA also advises you to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the towing capacity first of the tow vehicle, with an eye to the combined load of both trailers, then to the capacity of the first trailer to maintain a following trailer safely. Although special permits may be required, you do not need a special driver's license to tow double trailers.

Read more: Double Trailer Towing Laws | eHow.com Double Trailer Towing Laws | eHow.com
Old 03-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #9

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 2003 RVision Thumper by Stratus
Colorado

The rear receiver is intended for either a bike rack or luggage rack, not to add another town vehicle/trailer
avsnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #10

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnut1 View Post

The rear receiver is intended for either a bike rack or luggage rack, not to add another town vehicle/trailer
Not so for the UHaul I know a guy who used to work for them and he said he had see them moved form dealer to dealer t.owed behind each other. My VT came with the receiver and a 4 pin plug factory wired.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Not so for the UHaul I know a guy who used to work for them and he said he had see them moved form dealer to dealer t.owed behind each other. My VT came with the receiver and a 4 pin plug factory wired.
Michael J.
That's interesting. First time I've heard of this.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Michael J.
This reminds me of seeing a long time ago on one of those TV commercial blooper shows, they showed a commercial for some fiberglass camper, don't remember what brand, and a car was towing about three campers all hooked together. They came down the road around a corner, the trailers started fishtailing, and at least one of them rolled over. Anyone remember this? It was supposed to demonstrate how light weight they were.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #13

Florida
Registry
ELVIS is in the UHaul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I hear that it is legal in Texas, and some other states. I have a doubles license so maybe I can do it anywhere? Also I saw Elvis do it in a movie!
Mr. Bob, With a a Elvis impersonator jumpsuit the cops will probably
just grin with a thumbs up! Hey, you might even make all of us Uhaulers famous!

Tags
uhaul